Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just Seen Avengers Assemble (No spoilers)  (Read 6511 times)

Offline mratomek

• Bookworm
    • Super Force Seven: Superhero Miniatures Battle Game
Re: Just Seen Avengers Assemble (No spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »
First off, it is of a calibre of both Iron Man movies--a great mix of drama, action and comedy. If you liked either of those movies, you will like The Avengers.

Having been a longtime Avengers fan, Joss Whedon nailed it.

To have so many characters, so many personalities, so much that the fanboys, like me, were expecting, he nailed it--it really does speak to his ability as a writer and director. When I heard Loki was one of the, if not the only, villain--I was somewhat disappointed. But then I realized, it was an homage to issue #1 back in 1965. And he worked it out any way. He was a brilliant villain.

Also, do not leave the theater early. There are two "trailers" at the end of the move. One during the credits and one at the very end of the movie. The last trailer pretty much sums up what Marvel is all about. Something no other superhero movie would dare do. Something that really only fanboys would savor. If you missed it, remember to stick around the next time.

Excelsior!

The only thing better than gaming... is more gaming!

Super Force Seven: Once upon a time, the Earth needed to be saved on a daily basis.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »
Also, do not leave the theater early. There are two "trailers" at the end of the move. One during the credits and one at the very end of the movie. The last trailer pretty much sums up what Marvel is all about. Something no other superhero movie would dare do. Something that really only fanboys would savor. If you missed it, remember to stick around the next time.

Excelsior!

I believe that the end of credits trailer is only being shown in the US as the prints wern't ready for other markets - it certainly wasn't on the UK version I saw unless they've shipped new prints (in which case I have an excuse to see it again!  :))

Offline ancient one

• Bookworm
  • ....he's behind me right
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »
Its the best yet, all the Marvel films have been building up to this quite nicely, I'll certainly be seeing this again.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »
Saw it today, thought it was very cool.

Was it only me who was... surprised... at the exchange between Loki and Black Widow? I mean, really, in a kids' movie? Not looking forward to explaining that to my 9-year-old...

Offline supervike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
Saw it today, thought it was very cool.

Was it only me who was... surprised... at the exchange between Loki and Black Widow? I mean, really, in a kids' movie? Not looking forward to explaining that to my 9-year-old...

What are you talking about?  I don't remember anything inappropriate about that.

Besides, I'd have to take issue about the 'kids movie' moniker.  Comic books haven't been aimed at kids since about 1980.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
In the UK it has a 12A certificate - children under 12 can see it if accompanied by an adult, children 12 and over can see it unaccompanied. Is that not a kids' movie?

Hmm, don't think it qualifies as a spoiler, but I'll put in a 'profanity warning' just in case: the bit where Loki called her 'mewling quim'. Wouldn't have thought they'd have gotten away with calling her a 'whinging c***' so I'm not sure how 'mewling quim' got past. Unless they were figuring no-one would know what it meant. My girlfriend and I just turned to each other with shocked looks, both thinking 'is that really what we just heard...?'

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:46:20 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »
Hmm, don't think it qualifies as a spoiler, but I'll put in a 'profanity warning' just in case: the bit where Loki called her 'mewling quim'.

I was quite surprised by that as well. I even looked on-line to see if there was an alternative meaning that the US have for the word... but no... there is only that meaning  :D .

I agree that there are a few adult themes going on... but that is the way films have gone.

I loved the film. The Hulk steals the show for me but all of the characters get expanded a bit and there are some nice insights into how they react to things. It is the best marvel film so far (in my humble opinion) and is well worth the trip to the cinema. The bit after the credits really opens up all sorts of possibilities :D .

Offline supervike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »
In the UK it has a 12A certificate - children under 12 can see it if accompanied by an adult, children 12 and over can see it unaccompanied. Is that not a kids' movie?

Hmm, don't think it qualifies as a spoiler, but I'll put in a 'profanity warning' just in case: the bit where Loki called her 'mewling quim'. Wouldn't have thought they'd have gotten away with calling her a 'whinging c***' so I'm not sure how 'mewling quim' got past. Unless they were figuring no-one would know what it meant. My girlfriend and I just turned to each other with shocked looks, both thinking 'is that really what we just heard...?'

Ah, I see.  Yeah, I'm relatively sure that phrase went right over American's audiences heads (mine included).
I've no idea what a mewling quim is, or why it's bad.

It was rated as PG-13 here in the states (which sounds similar to your rating) but I can honestly say I'd have no problem taking my 10 year old nephews to this flick.

I just got back from seeing it a second time. 

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 12:22:27 AM »
Yet more profanity warning:

Oh, my kids (9 and 14) really enjoyed it; and it went over their heads too (I don't know what they teach in school nowadays if not Chaucerian terms for lady-parts, I really don't) but it was as shocking for me and my girlfriend as if he'd called her a c***.

I thought it was a really good film too - I'm just surprised that that particular colourful term slipped past the censors (or rather, the Board of Film Classification).

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 12:31:40 AM »
The film got an "M" rating here, meaning that children under 15 should be accompanied by an adult. Also, please for the sake of those wanting to enjoy the film, please only take your children to early showings so that I don't have to put up with kids talking behind me the entire film like I did with Star Wars 3.

(Seriously, who takes kids under ten out until 2230 at night?)

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 03:27:16 AM »
A vague spoiler for the after credits scenes as shown in the US. Click at your own risk! Of spoilage I mean.

1st scene is plot relevant. As you probably predicted, a new villain indirectly involved in the plot of the movie is briefly shown. Presumably he will be in a future movie, possibly the next one. He is:

http://tinyurl.com/6o5b8uz

2nd scene is not so plot relevant but is sort of amusing.

http://tinyurl.com/7vflo5v

Here's the scene...on youtube. Mods please feel free to delete it if it's illegal, or dangerous to the forum or otherwise evil.

http://tinyurl.com/776m5z5
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:49:13 AM by palaeomerus »

Offline supervike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
Yet more profanity warning:

Oh, my kids (9 and 14) really enjoyed it; and it went over their heads too (I don't know what they teach in school nowadays if not Chaucerian terms for lady-parts, I really don't) but it was as shocking for me and my girlfriend as if he'd called her a c***.

I thought it was a really good film too - I'm just surprised that that particular colourful term slipped past the censors (or rather, the Board of Film Classification).

Yep, I agree, had they said 'c*nt' here in the states, I'da been shocked as well!

But, at least I've learned a new curse word!!  And one I can use over here with almost impunity (until they start figuring out the context)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »
Well, waited for it to die down a bit. Saw the movie today. Enjoyed it a lot. Very good movie indeed. Love how the "critics" gave it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. LOL Loved the scene where Hulk sucker punched Thor during the big battle. LOL Made me chuckle.
At the end of the 1st sneak peek the GF is trying to leave. Had to use the facilities. Told her there was a second spoiler. She was not amused she waited all that extra time for that. :-)

Grimm

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
Just chiming in to report that The Avengers movie just cracked the 1 billion dollar threshold. So I guess we can expect even more Marvel goodness in the future :)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
Well, as if there was ever any doubt after the opening weekend BO...
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22849.html