Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690932
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Defiance Games Bugs and Germans  (Read 15536 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Defiance Games Bugs and Germans
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »
What with the UAMC done and dusted @ Defiance Games, they are shouldering on with new product. The Bugs are reportedly almost done plus they show the latest (and the first I've seen) render of the Germans (who most definitely aren't "Space Nazis", according to a random nic on a forum):
http://defiancegames.com/index.php/news/item/next-sets-for-defiance

On the subject of the German, the body proportions still look a little off and I'm not quite sure what all the indentations on the armour are for, but it's better than the Marines were at this stage.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
Re: Defiance Games Bugs and Germans
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »
I just hope that this time things run a little smoother.

I know, I know ... but hope always dies last.
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
bah, more Pledging,Promising,blurry Pics and the unofficial official Sales Spokesmen will show up here very soon  :-[
seriously it was funny with the whole AUCM-whatever Disaster but now i have become very fatigued.At the End the only Argument for their Products will be the Price:Yes theyre ugly, but look how much cheaper than XY they are  :?

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »
Hopefully, Defiance have learned from the last debacle and will be a little more practical about their information sharing.

The renders look a little better for the germans than the UA troops but the proof will be in the casting, won't it?

That is where the traditional sculpting method really trumps the new digital method; you get to see an actual product that is likely to look very similar once cast.

My suggestion would be for Defiance to not take pre-orders until they had production sprues in their hands and boxes at the printers... but I doubt that will happen.

I am so filled with doubt about the practices of the company that I will be waiting until I see the finished product reviewed by someone not affiliated to the company, using miniatures that had been received as either pre-order or normal order (and not test sprues).

Trust has to be earned.

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »
I have no intention of pre-ordering, but I must say, I am about 10 times more interested in these Germans than I was the UAMC Figures.   I'd like to see the other poses too.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
I have no intention of pre-ordering, but I must say, I am about 10 times more interested in these Germans than I was the UAMC Figures.   I'd like to see the other poses too.
That.

I like the look of them...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Xeno_RG

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
bah, more Pledging,Promising,blurry Pics and the unofficial official Sales Spokesmen will show up here very soon  :-[

Yup! Hi!  :D

Firstly, they'll be going with a different caster (one who has a proven record). Second, if there are pre-orders they will be done with product is in hand rather than the previous lunacy with the Marines. However, Tony has directly said they WILL NOT take money for product they don't have on hand. I heard Tony mention that they might do some kind of special figure for pre-orders, but that's up in the air.

As for blurry pics . . . well . . . that depends on whether Tony gets a better camera.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
The Germans dont look too bad to me.
The legs are a little odd, knees in particular, but I dont think that they would be too noticeable when painted up en masse.

More interested in the bugs, though.
Hoping for something a little original for a future planned project.....

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »

My suggestion would be for Defiance to not take pre-orders until they had production sprues in their hands and boxes at the printers... but I doubt that will happen.

But how can they?  their entire business model seems to be to get the suckers (sorry eager customers) money upfront then use that to finance the production. That is how they approached it at WF and got burned, but didn't learn the lesson so repeated it with the Marines.
I really hope there is no-one who would be willing to stump up the cash upfront again knowing exactly what is going to happen.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 06:19:51 PM »
I like 'em, and I agree they're much better than the Marines. There are plenty of alternatives for inexpensive plastics, but I suspect I'll get a box - - once they're out. Providing the price and quality is decent.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
As for blurry pics . . . well . . . that depends on whether Tony gets a better camera.

Seems to me this guy needs a crash course in advertising.
I would assume if you want to sell something, one of the most important things would be to show off your goods to the world.
Just look at Antenociti. They have their stuff painted up by a genuine artist and then put lovely pics of it on the web.
That's how you atract potential buyers.
Blurry pics are only acceptable for car freaks who are only interested in the fact that their favourite brand brings out a new model and get all mysterious about it.
Miniature addicts like us want to see detail and how good a painted model looks (even if we can only dream of achieving the level of perfection being demonstrated)

So, for me, there's no excuse for using a bad camera. Only reason I can think of is to hide any flaws.

my 2 cts.

P.S. I'm in no way affiliated to Antenociti (Although I am a happy customer) I just picked 'em out as an example because most on this board will most certainly have seen their stuff through Dwartist's posts. I'm pretty sure there are many other companies that operate in the same way.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Xeno_RG

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »
There's a perfectly good excuse for not using a good camera: good cameras cost hundreds of dollars  ;)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
That's just not true.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
Seems to me this guy needs a crash course in advertising.

Their PR guy will take care of them.   ;)

In seriousness, I suspect Tony gets excited about his product and wants to show it off Right Now!  And he has a fan base that seems to appreciate it.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
Germans look much improved over the USMC, make them a little sharper and even I might buy a load for my future modern force on force stuff.

Oh and release date, August 12th.  :D

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.