Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:38:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690837
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Matt brush on varnish?  (Read 5120 times)

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Re: Matt brush on varnish?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
Winsor & Newton Galleria gets my vote. Dries absolutely flat. Make sure you get the plastic bottle with the yellow cap rather than the glass bottle. Don't know why there should be a difference, but there is and it's huge.

One thing though, don't try to brush it out to a thin coat, it will dry glossy it you do. Just slap it on, leave to dry overnight. I've got figures varnished two years ago and no sign of yellowing.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
Yes, I actually started using W&N Galeria a couple of years ago, and it's very good. It's water based, so I don't know how much real durable protection against knocks and handling it gives, but it certainly provides a dead flat matt finish.
I've been using the stuff in glass bottles, but I shall try Pat's recommendation of the plastic container next, since it sounds like it's even better  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
I was using the water soluble vallejo matt varnish for quite some time but in the end wasn't too happy with it. Even though I would brush on a couple good coats, it seemed to give off a slightly glossy appearance but more importantly, I found it just wasn't durable enough on large or heavy figures (such as cavalry).

I then tried brushing on their (vallejo) acrylic spray matt varnish (for durability) and after drying, gave it a coat of the water soluble matt varnish. The effect was a very matt finish with super durability.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »
The local Art store (Schleiper) has this one :

It's for oil colours, but they claim it works equaly well with acrylics. Anyone that can confirm this ?
LINK

I've never used it. 

It isn't the one I use; it isn't the one that is in my article.

But if anyone has used it let us know how matt/flat it is.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Yes, I actually started using W&N Galeria a couple of years ago, and it's very good. It's water based, so I don't know how much real durable protection against knocks and handling it gives, but it certainly provides a dead flat matt finish.
I've been using the stuff in glass bottles, but I shall try Pat's recommendation of the plastic container next, since it sounds like it's even better  :)

Never had a problem with the glass bottle version, or with using a thin coat. A touch of acrylic flow improver helps, and a big, soft brush (squirrel or pony hair, rather than sable). Never had a problem with the least hint of glossiness. I use a sprayed coat of Pledge floor wax underneath for protection, but I can't say I've noticed that the W&N is not reasonably durable.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline timlillig

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
I use Golden Matte Polymer Varnish.  I have found it to be more matte and harder than other spray on or brush on products I have found.

The company's web site lists some retailers in Belgium.  http://www.goldenpaints.com

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 01:01:27 PM »
Winsor & Newton Galleria gets my vote. Dries absolutely flat. Make sure you get the plastic bottle with the yellow cap rather than the glass bottle. Don't know why there should be a difference, but there is and it's huge.

Another vote for W&N. Interesting to hear about potential differences here though, as I've always used the glass bottle stuff and found it be perfect – applies really well, and a couple of coats and your minis are nicely covered. Shake before use and you're good to go.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
Just saw that Maelstrom sells some brush on matt varnish made by Coat of arms? Has anybody some experience with this varnish?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/