Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First Models for Muskets & Tomahawks Update 21.6.12 Unit complete!  (Read 6059 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Here is the first Woodland Indian for my 200pt warband. He was painted using a combination of dip and highlighting - most highlighting was simply the basecoat colour over the dip, but the black-painted flesh and the breech-clout both had an extra highlight.

I like the effect and, for me, he's been quick to paint. The most lengthy part was the basecoating which took an hour and a half yesterday evening. Highlighting took under an hour. Yes...I know that's not actually 'quick', but when I'm fully layering, I paint at glacial speed, so it's all relative...for me, this was quick!!

Basing material includes clump foliage, Army Painter 'Poison Ivy' and Army Painter Wilderness tufts, as I was going for less of a grassy meadow and more a 'woodland' vibe...

I hope you like him. I'll add more as I get them done over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Andy

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:54:31 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: First Models for Muskets & Tomahawks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »
Very nice, I like the base, but the extra details like the beads and war paint bring him to life. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline yar68

• Scientist
    • Don't throw a 1
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
Excellent painting!!!!

Offline GrimsiGroggs

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:43:28 PM »
inspiring work!, looking forward to long rifle myself, just ordered it.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
Very nice. I really like the warpaint.  :-*

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »
Excellent work. I'll have to give this line another look.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 07:06:22 AM »
That's very good painting and basing, your treatment works particularly well with the black warpaint  :)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »
I like how you've painted the figure, especially as I black undercoat mine, less painting to do in this case as half of its already done! Great work. I may have to shamelessly copy.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
Here are the next two models for my 200pt warband. These are both (I think) Conquest models. I am really pleased with the way the warpaint turned out on these! They took longer per model than the last one due to a varnishing disaster - I had been using Revell matte clear paint as, unlike brush-on Testor's Dullcote, it hasn't got fumes that will kill you! Sadly, it had gone a bit 'gloopy', so I diluted it. That worked fine on the first model in this thread, but not these two...for some raeson, they ended up with blobs of pure white 'pooled' into many of the recesses and also on top of some raised areas!! Aargh!!! >:( So I had to rescue them, which took 2.5 hours!!!!!  ::) Anyway, luckily we had decent weather yesterday, so I 'Dullcoted' them outside!!!

Anyway, the 'rescue' job was, I think, worth it, despite me now being at least one model behind schedule...

This first chap has face paint lifted straight from the Osprey book "North American Indians of the Great Lakes", specifically plate C, figure 3...

The second is a mish-mash of ideas from a variety of sources

And now, a group shot of all three emerging from the trees to burn some unsuspecting settler's cabin...

Enjoy!!

More coming in a week or so...

Andy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:33:32 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: First Models for Muskets & Tomahawks Update 14.5.12
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »
Wow...I can see why you're pleased with your warpaint.  I know I would be if I'd done it!!!  Seriously, how did you get the highlighting on the black?  Can you describe your technique?  How many different colors or layers of "lighter than black" did you apply?  What colors were they?

Mike Demana

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:37:16 AM »
Love your painting.
I have a ton of Conquest figures, love them.
Really like the black warpaint.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »
Wow...I can see why you're pleased with your warpaint.  I know I would be if I'd done it!!!  Seriously, how did you get the highlighting on the black?  Can you describe your technique?  How many different colors or layers of "lighter than black" did you apply?  What colors were they?

Mike Demana

Thanks Mike. Glad you like the models.
The black is actually deceptively easy. All models were undercoated white. The black warpaint is Foundry Charcoal (mid-tone), which is washed with Army Painter dip. It is then highlighted with the same tone, plus a minimal highlight with Foundry Charcoal 'light'. That's actually the techinique for all the models. Simple block basecoats (usually Foundry 'light' tones' of most colours) on the white undercoat, then brush on the dip. When it's dry, highlight with the same base colours only (except the deep blues and greens and black warpaint which need an additional highlight, so I add a touch of white to the blue or a touch of yellow to the green.)
Gunmetal is washed with black ink prior to dipping as well.
All black hair is basecoated with Foundry Charcoal 'shade' and highlighted with Charcoal light BEFORE dipping. This helps differentiate the shades of black a bit easier.

The red warpaint is Foundry madder 'light'. The yellow warpaint is Foundry Ochre 'light'.

Hope that helps. I have 3 more on the painting table at the moment and will post pics of those, giving me my first full unit for Muskets and Tomahawks, as soon as they are finished.

These are 'bloodthirsty braves' under those rules. The 'ordinary warrior' units will have slightly more minimal warpaint so they are easier to differentiate on the tabletop.

Cheers

Andy

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »
Thank you...I will have to give a version of that method a try, since I don't use the same paints or a dip. I think the key technique (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you do a highlight again after using whatever dark wash or dip you use....

Mike Demana

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
That's right Mike. Highlight on top of the dip/wash with the exact same colour you basecoat with. As I said, I had to add an additional slightly lighter highlight for the black warpaint and for the blue leggings but everything else has just the one highlight with the basecoat colour after dipping/washing.

Have just dipped 3 more braves and hope to have pics of them online early next week, all being well.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »
I like those native americans, they look awesome!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare