Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:37:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Up the Khasi!  (Read 3734 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
Up the Khasi!
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
During the latter half of the Nineteenth Century, the British Empire found itself in a constant state of perilous adventure on the Northern borders of India as it tried to protect the Jewel of the Empire from various external threats. One of these provinces bordering India, the was the independant fiefdom of Kalabar, ruled by the Khasi of Kalabar. While seemingly friendly to the British, the Khasi had for sometime been building up his troops with help from foreign advisors. German, French and Russian military advisors had been seen in the Kalabar capital of Jaxee. For several years the Khasi has been spending a small fortune on modernising his standing army, and though well dressed and equipped, their fighting prowess was questionable. His household guard even copied the British highland troops and wore kilts made from tablecloths to try and emmulate the 'Devils in Skirts'. Kalabar had been allowed to remain independant as it acted as a buffer to the warlike Burpa tribe to the north of the province and as it sat upon several vital trade routes it seemed unwise to plunge the area into chaos. For several years peace reign on this area of the frontier and British troop numbers dwindled.

The Khasi of Kalabar

However the British began to grow concerned when Burpa fighters began raiding trade caravans heading for India. While those destined for Kalabar seemed unmolested on the whole, those enroute for India suffered heavy losses. The Khasi offered to settle the problem for the British and launched a major offensive with his troops against the Burpa in return for yet more guns and equipment. After several months of fighting, little was achieved and trade was still effected with many merchants reluctant to travel the routes. With the Khasi and his men unable to quell the Burpas, the British opted to send in a force with which to put down the Burpas once and for all.

Bungdit Din - The fearsome Burpa leader

To lead the expedition, the British selected the respected Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond, recently returned from putting down the Jade Dragon uprising in Tingtong. He, along with his aide Major Shorthouse and the local British commander Captain Keene, assembled a small but potent force on the border with Kalabar. After short negotiations, the Khasi allowed them passage to head for the Burpa tribal lands in tthe north of Kalabar.

Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond quizzes Private Widdle while Major Shorthouse, Captain Keene and Sgt-Major MacNutt look on

However, unknown to the British the Khasi was in fact in league with the Burpa chieftain, Bungdit Din, and were luring the British into a trap. They hoped to defeat a British force, massacre them and then rise up in revolt against the Empire and take India for themselves! The masterful plan would however go wrong almost from the start thanks to information from a local Missionary , Brother Belcher, who brought word of the treachery as Sir Sidney's force arrived on the outskirts of Jaxee. While the British tried to rally more troops in India, Sir Sidney was forced to fight a campaign with little help from India against overwhelming numbers. Only British pluck, and tiffin, would see them through the dark days ahead...

From A History of the Campaign in Kalabar by Talbot Rothwell

With the rising in Tingtong over, the Colonial focus now moves to India. This little fictional war will allow me to paint up troops for both my Second Afghan War project and my longterm Sudan project by using all the forces for those in Kalabar.

So far the forces are arrayed as follows;

The Khasi of Kalabar

The Khasi and his aide Stingi
12 x Khasi Royal Guard
2 x Cannon and crews
100 x Khasi Regular Infantry
16 x Native Riflemen
66 x Native Warriors

Burpas

Bungdit Din and his tribal leader Chindi
60 x Burpa Tribesmen
10 x Burpa Cavalry

The Expedition of Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond

Sir Sidney and his aide Major Shorthouse
12 x Highlanders from the 3rd Foot & Mouth
36 x British Regulars
12 x Loyal Sikh Regulars
2 x Cannon and crews
1 x Gatling and crew
6 x British Cavalry
6 x Sikh Lancers
1 x Heliograph Team
1 x Mule Train

Captain Keene of the Kalabar Frontier Force
24 x Frontier Guard
24 x Ghurkas
1 x Cannon and crew

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: Up the Khasi!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
What scale are you planning?  In 28mm, you can now get look-alikes (in different roles) from Copplestone of Charles Hawtry and Kenneth Williams (as per Carry on Spying), from Warlord of Williams (as per Carry on Cleo) and from Muttonchop of Hawtrey and Sid James: all just a head swap away from what you'd need.

Mind you, for Terry Scott dragged up as a Harem girl, you're on your own.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
[gets comfy in chair and waits for tiffin to commence]  :D
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:44:17 AM »
One of my favorite movies!  lol

I'm looking forward to this!  :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »
 :-*
Something I've thought about doing myself, can't wait too see how it turns out.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
In the words of Brother Belcher, "Of course, they're all completly mad, you know!" But what fun - I'll watch with interest.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:06:53 AM »

A Heliograph team from the 92nd Highlanders (or 3rd Foot & Mouth!), with a picket guard from the 67th Regiment and an officer supervising.

Figures are a mix of Perry, Foundry and Britannia with Pontoonier Miniatures heads.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:31:33 AM »
Lovely!  :-*

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »
Lovely work old boy

Now where's that bloody tiffin ..?  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
Very nice. Great to see this project is still going :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:10:33 AM »
Nicely done - very characterful.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
Lovely - I presume that the heliograph team is the Britannia one?

Offline Big Martin

• Scientist
  • Wargamer, Re-enactor & Failed Historian
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
Having sat and watched the film last week when I was laid up sick, I remembered how good it was. One of my favourites, along with "Cleo".

Great start with the figures. :)
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
Very inspiring.

Ironclad have a heliograph set too.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)