Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help doing Huge Battle at the end of Wrath Of The Titans.  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
Help doing Huge Battle at the end of Wrath Of The Titans.
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »
Hello this is my first time posting in this section and I wanna make it A good one.

Today I watched the new Movie Wrath of The Titans and though the movie really had no plotline the battle scenes were good and the last one was particularly EPIC. So as I was sitting their watching the battles between Greek Phalanaxes, mighty titan Warriors and the truly Gigantic battle of Sam Worthingtons accent trying not to draw to much attention to itself I wondered would this battle not be truly awesome to reenact.

I as a man of 28MM have decided to stick to my scale and plough onwards through the daunting task of trying to amass enough figures to play such a gargantuan battle (until I realize I have bitten off more than I can chew and decide on 15mm). I face many problems in this challenge though mainly these:

-I have no idea where I can get good looking models to use for my Greek forces and worse My Heroes
-Where I can get monsters such as cyclops, minotaurs, those two torso fighting things and pegasi riding warriors
-Siege engines for the Greeks Artillery support
-A rulebook that is flexible enough to allow massed Phalanexes of Greeks, Pegasus riders, huge monsters, heroes and siege engines to fight side by side and against each other in mass combat.

Those are only the beggining of my problems as I assume I would face more as I continue to develop my plans. My combat hopefully be like WFB with large units on movement trays so that it doesnt take forever to move things into combat it only means alot of dice rolls. The games should advance pretty fast though as the Huge monsters should mow down enough greek troops each turn that it makes things easier plus the addition of meteors thrown by titans and other such things should kill off a fair few troops each turn.

So can anyone help me in my quest to do something ridiculously large. 

My thanks Bubbles

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Help doing Huge Battle at the end of Wrath Of The Titans.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
Foundry have just released a new book and range of figures on just this period.................
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »
-I have no idea where I can get good looking models

A good place to start is the "Greek Mythology Showcase" sticky thread on this very board:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38519.0
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
Haven't Warlord & Victrix just released boxed sets of plastic Greeks?
The Warlord ones are the old Immortal Miniatures range, but nice looking figures.
Haven't seen the Victrix yet, but the photos look ok

As for monsters etc.
Steve Barber Models have a Greek range, but it is 25mm so heroes will look small alongside 28mm plastic:
http://www.sbarber-models.clara.net/main.html
If you want big monsters, Alternative Armies have a 50mm Greek range:
http://www.alternative-armies.com/The_Monsters_of_Greece.htm

Otherwise, you might find cheap plastic monsters in toy shops. There used to be a tube of plastic monsters (like the tubes of insects, rube of dinosaurs etc) that were sold in Toys R'Us or the Early Learning Centre. Some of the cheap discount stores have  occasional dragons/giants etc playsets.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
Another source for affordable monsters would be toyshops that stock Papo or Schleich figures, they have some (mainly medieval) fantasy type figures which might convert, and since they are large (90mm scale?) they will look hefty alongside 28mm.
Some of the prepainted Heroclix/Mageknight types might be useful, but ptobably more expensive.

For rules I would possibly look at Chipco - aimed at large battles (you can use hundreds of figures rather than hundreds of dice):
http://www.sabersedge.com/chipco/fr3.htm

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »
For rules I would suggest you look at Basic Impetus (free download) and the Impetus Fantasy expansion (also free download).
Impetus is designed for big battles and the Fantasy expansion allows you total freedom to build up the monsters and heroes exactly as you want within the same points/abilities system as the troops so everything stays balanced.

Much more detail and discussion here:
http://impetus.forumsland.com/index.php?mforum=impetus

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
This is some really good stuff. I might try writing up my own rules as well as having others just to spice it up. 

Does anyone know where I can get 28mm scale makhai. If you seen the movie there those two torso warriors that do spinning attacks and stuff. If you havent seen the movie then just type Makhai into google images and the first result should be a pick from the movie.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:22:14 PM by Bubbles »

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
Crocodile Games makes some badass and huge titan models.

They also make the best cinematic-style hoplites out there.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
 Have to agree with Alex onthe Crocodile games Titans.Great pieces.Black pyramid games stock them in the UK and do the show's with them too.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
You want a rules system that can handle large numbers of units, from armour-clad footsoldiers and cavalry to heroic leaders to pegasus riders, warmachines, giants, a variety of mythical beasts, and huge monsters?

That sounds an awful lot like (whisper who dares) Warhammer to me... it's pretty much what it was invented for, isn't it?

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
You want a rules system that can handle large numbers of units, from armour-clad footsoldiers and cavalry to heroic leaders to pegasus riders, warmachines, giants, a variety of mythical beasts, and huge monsters?

That sounds an awful lot like (whisper who dares) Warhammer to me... it's pretty much what it was invented for, isn't it?

But I'd rather not shell out another 100 bucks for the core rulebook. plus to be honest I don't really like their systems.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
 lol

Two good reasons for not going with it then!

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions after that - I have an old copy of 2nd Edition from 20 years or so ago that I would use were i in your situation, but I certainly wouldn't be running off to spend megabucks on the latest one... plus the Army Books that you would need to be able to play the collections of forces you have.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »
I'd second that suggestion for Impetus - especially as there is a free download version. I haven't seen the fantasy expansion, but the basic rules are playable.

Offline angstpuppet

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »
Sorry to reply so late to this topic, I am still finding my way around this forum and trying to catch up on topics of interest.

I have to agree with Alex's recommendations on both the Croc Games Titans and Hoplites for miniatures.  They are some of the best things going.  Also for hero models look at Tale of War, Bronze Age Miniatures, and Reaper (for heroes and monsters).  For cheaper Hoplites and Amazons try Wargames Factory.  I have several of the Greek themed characters from Reaper and all of the Tale of War ones.  They scale up nicely with Croc games figs.  I have yet to order from Bronze Age but that is mostly a money issue, not a don't want to issue.  I have seen pics of their figs next to Croc Games stuff and they look compatible enough, as do the WGF Amazons.  Links to  the manufacturers provided, with an effort towards pointing you towards the right sections. 

https://www.crocodilegames.com/store/itemList.cfm?catID=18&sort=prodID

http://www.taleofwar.com/shop/category.php?id_category=9

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/32MM/historical/Greeks/greeks32mm.htm  (Also check out their Amazons in the 32mm historical section and their Centaurs in the 32mm Fantasy section)

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/greek (ignore the lame Achilles model, also check out their Hydras, Centaurs, Cerberus variations, Harpies, and various other things I am too tired to think of currently)

http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/legacy-of-the-greeks

For what you are looking for in rules I think there is a really good system.  Armies of Arcana not only has a mythic Greek list for their game, a monsters list that can be used as allies for any faction, and a Giants list that might provide a nice proxy for Titans and the like, but they also have a Creature Creation Formula that would allow you to point out and create monsters, units, warmachines/siege weapons that are not included in the rules.  It is designed for mass combat and is somewhat generic due to that but there are plenty of cool ways to go with it as far as customizing armies with different sets of monsters.  And it is a much cheaper book than some of the other ones out there.  Not free cheap but not super expensive.  It can be a bit hard to get a hold of in the US though, at least the last time I checked.   

http://armiesofarcana.com/