Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Point me in the right direction - list of 28mm Pirate miniatures?  (Read 11281 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
So...

(warning: sob story ahead).

I love Black Scorpion miniatures.  I have just about their entire Old West range, and run convention games with them.  Truly fantastic sculpts, and really fit my flavour (I like a dramatic, slightly gritty appearance).  Well, having moved on to a heavily modified version of LOTHS, I picked up a slew of BS miniatures...albeit now in resin.  They're horrible.  Now, BS assures me they're replacing their resin machines, etc., and perhaps I got a bad batch - but I doubt I'll be buying from them anymore.

Soooo...while I'll be using some of my salvaged BS resin Pirates, where else can I get good quality miniatures like that?  Most of the other lines I see are a bit "pulpy" if that makes sense.  I love the look of conquest miniatures, and may grab some of their FIW minis to stand in, but what are my other options for pirates?  I've started kitbashing some wargames factory plastic WSS infantry and cavalry, but that only yields a small number of possibilities.

The scales don't have to match - I know BS miniatures tend to outsize just about everybody by a small bit.  I looked a few pages and didn't see a thread detailing the ranges available.  Please help me out.  I am playing in 28mm.

Thanks guys.

I'm really ware of Black Scorpion, and Foundry.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Point me in the right direction - list of 28mm Pirate miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 01:49:31 AM »
http://www.frothersunite.com/files/wk/sc/pirates/pirates1/pirates.htm

This is a bit out of date, but otherwise a good place to start.

I used Warmachine pirates, Foundry, Games Workshop Free Company, Black Cat Bases, Black Scorpion, Freebooter, Reaper, and possibly some others I can't remember right this moment.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »
Thanks, that's a good bit of help.  Sad to see there aren't too many which appeal to me.  I may have to come up with some more fancy kit-bashing. 

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
I wonder how many customers Black Scorpion have lost by the switch to resin.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
To Black Scorpion's credit - the batch I got were quite bad.  When I emailed them, they offered to replace some.  I had already invested a lot of time in the "fixing" of the miniatures.  Adam will be sending me a small sample pack when their new resin machine gets up and running.  I'm not a fan of resin in general, but Black Scorpion is my favorite miniatures designer.

The miniatures are simply too frail for heavy use.  Some of mine showed up with cracks in the resin, air pockets, and some metal guides showing through.  I have faith they'll sort it out - but as long as they're resin, I think I'm done as a customer.

That sucks, but I'm glad I got all of my Cowboys before they switched.  I do think resin is fine (and great on occasion) if you're looking to spend an hour or two filing, green-stuffing, and then painting it for a painting competition.  It just serves no place on a genuine gaming table.  Like I mentioned previously, I run convention games - which means people (and sometimes, idiots) of all ages handling and playing with the miniatures.  I have doubts my BS Pirates will make it one game without swords and limbs snapping off.

In the end though, its their decision, so I can't fault them.  I'm just sad to see my favorite designs change - and as it stands now, I won't be giving them any more business.  If anyone is reading this and has some Black Scorpion metal pirates, let me know - I'll gladly pay good money for them.  I love LOVE the four metal ones I did receive.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
If you are really a fan of Black Scorpion I suggest contacting various retailers and seeing if they have metal stock left.  That's what I did recently when looking for figures for my LPL entry.

Of course there is always eBay and the forum market places as well.

I fully agree with you on Resin...not for me.

Cheers

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »
^Already started the slow crawl, looking for them.  I even told Adam at BS that I'd gladly pony up for any mini's they found laying around, unpackaged, mixed sets etc...no luck!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
Try contacting Nick at Northstar.
He often has odd bits and pieces and if you're lucky might have some old BS metals.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »
My collection is made up largely of Foundry and Old Glory.  While Old Glory lacks the star quality of of other lines, I think they did a wonderful job with their Pirates particularly the Pirate Captains, and the specialty packs such as Pirate Looters, the Pirate Rowboat, Pirate buried treasure party and the Fat Governor.  Take a look at www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=208

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »
I had looked at Old Glory previously, but simply can't see enough in their pictures online -- also they state they're 25mm, which concerns me a bit.  How do they scale up to average 28mm?  (I know BS are bigger than most).

They have some good looking stuff, but I can't see much in their online photos....anyone have a bunch of them painted?

Offline brigadegames

• Scientist
    • BrigadeGames.com
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 01:07:04 AM »
Our Brigade Games range

http://www.brigadegames.com/Buccaneers-Pirates-Privateers_c_205.html

Here is a picture of the BPP003 pack painted

Lon Weiss
BrigadeGames
Boot Hill

http://www.BrigadeGames.com

http://www.BrigadeGamesMinis.com

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/brigadegames

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrigadeGames

IG: https://www.instagram.com/BrigadeGames<br /

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
For a few painted painted pirates from both Old Glory and Black Cat Bases click on the first group picture at www.witchhunter.net/gallery_pirates_mix.html

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:25:29 AM »
Sorry no need to click on group pic, the web address takes you right there.

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 01:59:26 AM »
I am also a fan of Old Glory, for price and extensiveness of the range.  They are't for everyone, though.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 02:22:07 AM »
Thanks for the links.  I like some of those - the only problem is that most of the ranges look to match each other pretty well - but none have a look like Black Scorpion, which makes it a pain for me.  All of the other sculpting lines have a slight comical/skewed look to them --- and thus they all go together quite nicely from the look of things.  I may order up some Conquest or Galloping Major FIW models to try to fill some gaps.