Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686659
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SA AAR contest entry- M.O.O.S.(E). and Squirrel!  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
SA AAR contest entry- M.O.O.S.(E). and Squirrel!
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »
My contribution to styx Strange Aeons AAR contest.

M.O.O.S.(E). and Squirrel

The Mission played was Rescue the Innocents.

A slight modification was made to the scenario to enable the Ministry team to attempt to sneak up on the opposition.
The Cultists had two of their number acting as sentries, that would move at random each turn with a 90 degree field of vision to their front facing. (Those hoods do retrict their vision somewhat, you know?  ;))
A sentry could be eliminated silently if it was taken out in a single turn and if no firearms were used to do so.
If these conditions were not met,then the Cultists would be alerted immediately and could act accordingly.

The Commander of Active Operations, Colonel Barely-Able, had received a summons to meet with the Minister of M.O.O.S.(E)., Sir Tunly-Gay, to be briefed on the findings of one of his teams in the field.

The leader of the team, Professor Mustafa Bin Hymn, had just reported the latest machinations of the dastardly Order of the Purple-Headed Worm!

It appears that they had uncovered evidence that the recent kidnapping of Miss Chastity Inn-Dowt, daughter of the Mayor of Soggy Bottom, known as ‘Squirrel’ to her friends, had been conducted by the despicable fiends of the violet-robed cult.

The local Police had tracked them down to a Farmhouse on the outskirts of neighbouring Wrinkly Bottom and received a serious shock when they had tried to rescue her.

Not expecting resistance of the magnitude that they encountered, including coming under fire from at least one automatic weapon, the lightly armed Officers of the Law had had to retreat under fire.

It emerged that a Police officer had been killed and several others had been seriously injured in the vicious fire fight.

Upon returning to the scene, after receiving armed reinforcement, it quickly became apparent that the culprits had fled.
After a search of the property it emerged that they had been using the abandoned farmhouse as a headquarters and left behind evidence of Occult activity.

There was even a Ouija board!
The fiends!

The Ministry had been informed at once, and the nearest Team, that of the good Professor, had been dispatched immediately to the scene.
The more thorough search carried out by the Ministry operatives confirmed the theory and uncovered clues as to the likely current whereabouts of the Cult.

It appeared that the Cult had fled to an abandoned Monastery on the other side of the Bay, there to conduct an unholy rite involving the sacrifice of Miss Inn-Dowt!
Speed was of the essence!

The team immediately set to, driving the short distance to the near shore and requisitioned a rowing boat from a local fisherman, for the short trip across the bay.

As they crossed the bay, oars whispering across the surface, they could sense the forbidding presence of the monastery, which could be glimpsed through the mist as the Ministry Agents approached the shore.

Reaching the far side, having rowed as quickly and quietly as possible to the quayside, they moored their vessels alongside a launch which the Cultists had, obviously, recently abandoned.

Creeping silently onto the launch, they surveyed the immediate area.

Through the mist clinging to the shoreline, they could see the outline of the ruined monastery, and the outline of a sentry that the cultists had left behind, guarding one of the entrances to the ruins, his face illuminated by the cigarette he was busy chuffing on.

Clearly the dastardly heathens were being more careful now, following the raid on the farmhouse, and were covering their backs.
The Agents would have to be extremely careful and try to eliminate any guards first, if they wanted to sneak up on the miscreants before they sacrificed their unfortunate victim.

The team advanced stealthily forwards, attempting to take out the sentries as silently as possible.

The Professor swiftly dealt with the first with a single sweep of his ancient Saracen sword, decapitating the unfortunate soul in mid puff.

As the Professor was taking care of the first sentinel, the other two members of the team, Captain Larjen-Portly and Dr Fiennes-Toombs, dealt with the other heathen, maybe not as smoothly as the Professor, but just as effectively!

Once the removal of the watchmen had been concluded, the forces of His Majesty moved into the ruins, carefully picking their way through the fallen masonry and approaching the site of the blasphemous ritual.

As the team make their way forwards they see, ahead of them, the scene of the foul ritual about to reach its climax.
It appears that they have arrived just in the nick of time, the despicable Cult leader advancing upon his drugged and helpless victim, Chastity Inn-Dowt!

Before the diabolical hierophant can complete the verse he is chanting the Agents of the Ministry spring into action! Two of the cultists are blown off of their feet by the firepower unleashed upon them, one of them wailing on the floor, the other unmoving in a spreading pool of blood.

With one of the cultists dead, and another groaning on the ground, a Tommy-gun lying at his feet, the team rush forwards to end the fight as quickly as possible.
As the agents leapt up from their cover, the evil rapscallions pulled weapons that had been concealed beneath their robes and opened fire!
Amongst the fusillade of shotgun shells and .22 bullets cascading in their direction, Captain Larjen-Portly fell to the ground, his ample frame attracting lead like a pheasant on the moors!

The Professor and the Doc advanced over the downed form of their comrade, eager to exact revenge.

The good Doctor opened fire with both pistols, taking down the shotgun-toting maniac, whose body slumped to the floor like a puppet with its strings cut. In the meantime the Professor had charged forward to engage the cult leader, dispatching the groaning cultist without breaking stride.

As his leader confronted the cult leader, the Doctor checked on the condition of the Captain, confident in the sabre skills of his Turkish companion. The Captain groaned and reassured the Doctor that he had only received a flesh wound and both watched as the devout Muslim slew the mad cultist, showing an expertise with the sword that few could match.

Chastity ‘Squirrel’ Inn-Dowt was now safe in the hands of her rescuers.

I will post a version of this, in colour, on my M.O.O.S.(E) thread for those that would rather see the technicolour variant...

It is here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39808.255

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:47:48 PM by Mason »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: SA AAR contest entry- M.O.O.S.(E). and Squirrel!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
good stuff there! I will post it on the blog! The name was amusing, after your hint I expected something funny like this...
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Enethaeron

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
Oh my! I already loved your miniatures and your scenery but these pictures are great. The atmosphere is really breath taking. A very good entry!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
I normally really prefer the color versions of photos for the full miniature experience.  :D
But you really made the best use of the black and white photos to establish mood.

Very nice work!  :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
good stuff there! I will post it on the blog! The name was amusing, after your hint I expected something funny like this...

Thanks, styx!
I thought that you might approve... ;)

Oh my! I already loved your miniatures and your scenery but these pictures are great. The atmosphere is really breath taking. A very good entry!

Thanks, Enethaeron!
I think that the 'vintage' effects came out pretty well.

I normally really prefer the color versions of photos for the full miniature experience.  :D
But you really made the best use of the black and white photos to establish mood.

Very nice work!  :-*

Thanks, aggro84!
I know that some people prefer colour, so those ones went into my M.O.O.S.(E). thread to try and please all.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
I really love this one and it was really funny (especially the names). Also loved what you did to the pictures, I prefer them this way, as they create a great atmosphere.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
This contest really made everyone bring their A game when it came to writing and making reports. Excellent AAR and love the dirt and tint on those pictures, the miniatures and terrain are also awesome!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:03:55 AM »
I agree, there is a serious A game going on...wish we had more entries but this is still a good response. I should get Uncle Mike to copy these over to his site to add up as examples or promos of game play to draw more attention to the game....hell he could even put the movies on a DVD and play them at a convention to draw attention...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
I really love this one and it was really funny (especially the names). Also loved what you did to the pictures, I prefer them this way, as they create a great atmosphere.

Thanks, necrocannibal!
I do think that the 'vintage' photos work better for this period.
All the black and white silent movies give off a great period feel too.

This contest really made everyone bring their A game when it came to writing and making reports. Excellent AAR and love the dirt and tint on those pictures, the miniatures and terrain are also awesome!

Thanks, Anatoli!
I think the standard of all the miniatures and terrain in all of the entries has been really high.

I agree, there is a serious A game going on...wish we had more entries but this is still a good response. I should get Uncle Mike to copy these over to his site to add up as examples or promos of game play to draw more attention to the game....hell he could even put the movies on a DVD and play them at a convention to draw attention...

styx: I think the fact all of the entries have been of a high standard, with plenty of thought and effort, is more important than just having bucketloads of them.
Quality over quantity, and all that!

Some good ideas to put to Uncle Mike there.....

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
Wow love all your stuff!!! Great terrain too... no i want to play mordheim again :)
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Meizter

• Bookworm
    • Gentlemen Wargamers
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
Excellent AAR Mason, lovely minis and cool terrain :)
My miniature and wargaming blog: Gentlemen Wargamers

Offline The Lockswin

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 12:06:44 PM »
I really enjoyed this one as the narative was great so it wasnt just about the fantastcally atmospheric pictures. The names also are cleverly done and made me laugh

Hoped at the end it would say......To be continued!
You could turn this into a little mini series. Would love to follow M.O.O.S.E's  escapades on a weekly basis!

Great stuff!

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
Wow, that's an amazing set of photos. I love them.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
Wow love all your stuff!!! Great terrain too... no i want to play mordheim again :)

Thanks, Mo!
I know that feeling.
Mordheim is still there, an itch that wont go away.

Excellent AAR Mason, lovely minis and cool terrain :)

Thanks, Meizter!

I really enjoyed this one as the narative was great so it wasnt just about the fantastcally atmospheric pictures. The names also are cleverly done and made me laugh

Hoped at the end it would say......To be continued!
You could turn this into a little mini series. Would love to follow M.O.O.S.E's  escapades on a weekly basis!

Great stuff!

Cheers, mate!
You have the advantage of English as a first language, so the names may come to you a little easier than some. I now have to name the whole of the Ministry. Almost there!
As for a weekly series, it sounds like fun, but a lot more games will have to be played.
Any volunteers?

Wow, that's an amazing set of photos. I love them.

Thanks, YIU!
I am quite pleased with how they came out myself...

As a continuation of this story, I have decided that it would work well if Chastity Inn-Dowt (Squirrel) volunteered to join the Ministry after her rescue.
I will post her second incarnation later, in my main M.O.O.S.(E). thread....