Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 9
Guests: 766
Total: 775

Recent

Author Topic: *Updated* - From the Work Bench: Captain 13th Ufa  (Read 10379 times)

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
*Updated* - From the Work Bench: Captain 13th Ufa
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:41:25 PM »
This is one of the figures on the work bench at the moment. Copplestone - Cpt. of the 13th Ufa Regiment, Siberia c. summer 1919. My question for you astute gentlemen is...what do you think of the tunic colour? I'm thinking it's too bright. It is Reaper Master series (OOP) Olive; Reaper Master Series Bleached Olive; Bleached Olive and Vallejo Game Off White (?) for the highlight. The rest are all in drab and various olive-y greens. As an officer I wanted him to be a bit different. I'm thinking he may go into the stripper solution. Any thoughts? Is it too bright or too daft looking?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:45:58 AM by sepoy1857 »
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
Re: From the Work Bench: Captain 13th Ufa
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »
Here's a couple more figs - Happy with the way these have turned out. Flesh, rifle, and some other odd bits to be finished. Will be doing the rest in drab and lighter more faded looking greens; some with the epaulettes turned green side up. I do like how the raspberry has turned out though...it compliments the green where I think the green epaulettes would get lost in the green!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:46:14 PM by sepoy1857 »

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
All of the figures look great! I especially like the way the raspberry shoulderboards compliment the green you've chosen. I say keep most of the unit that way, with a few plain shoulderboards just for variety. Really my only suggestion besides that stylistic choice would be to give the last chap in the peaked cap a few washes for the skin tone.

As for the officer's uniform, I say it's fine as it is. Really the only time I can imagine someone would say you painted a Russian tunic wrong is if you painted it hot pink :D. 'Uniforms' as a whole were more of a suggestion than a fact during the Civil War.

I have a feeling I sent you this picture already, but just in case I didn't:

That officer in the middle (labelled #2) has roughly the same shade of green as you painted. Also, would you be interested in posting a detailed painting tutorial for these miniatures? I'm really liking how you did the greens, especially on the two enlisted chaps.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:11:52 AM by Ataman »

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:34:31 AM »
LOL! I had that pic from when Cuprum posted it, and Yep that pic was exactly what I was aiming for! So that said I think I'll keep it (too much work to strip it re-do). Thanks the the kind words.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:06:05 AM »
Great job, Scott.  :-*

I was particularly pleased with the historical authenticity of this painting.

Can small observations?
 Belt, who contracted roll coat (sausage over his shoulder) should be leather or canvas - that is, brown or khaki.
 The windings on the legs were green (khaki), black or gray. Of course in low supply during the Civil War may be any color options, but they do not get carried away.
 Russian uniforms were often unstable dye. It is very faded in the sun, sometimes almost white. In addition, the color of the new uniforms could differ materially from the regulated.
 Here is the color prescribed by the official:

I paint the Russian uniforms all the means at my shades of green for highlights using basic colors with a touch of white in different proportions.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:07:42 AM »
Those figures all look great, especially the officer. I've done most of my Russians in shades closer to khaki than green, but I think I'll have to add more greenish shades to future additions to my RCW forces.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:45:02 AM »
Gentlemen: Thanks for the kind words.

Ataman: Sorry I missed what you said about a painting guide the first time I read your post...sorry. I'd be happy to do one. I use mostly Vallejo Panzer Aces colours for the greens/khaki. I usually mix in the highlight colour to the base which seems to work well. Other colours are either Vallejo Model, Coat d'arms WWII paints, or the now extinct Reaper Master Series - they had some really good greens.

The flesh is just base coated at this point - I always like to finish it last for some strange reason. Flesh is Foundry A, B, and C. I tried their "Expert Flesh" range and didn't really care for it (too orangey for my liking).

Will get to work on that ASAP. Thanks for the idea.

Cuprum: Your wisdom and knowledge on the subject are always more than welcome friend! From you that is very high praise indeed. Thank You!

Changes made last night - sausage roll straps changed to leather. Overcoat finshed on the guy with cap. White long fur cap given a wash with Vallejo Umber wash to tone it down a bit.

The white windings/puttees come from Russian artwork, and I kind of like that look for some of the Siberian White troops anyway. Wait till I paint the Ufa Cadet company in their black uniforms!

Wirelizard:Thank You! I'll be adding more in Foundry Drab and Moss later. Since these are the summer uniforms I think they would have faded quite a bit.

Reds are up next on the painting desk - 2nd or 3rd Army, or maybe 5th. Then maybe a squad of Orenburg Cossacks and the 13th Ufa Cadet company. Votinsk are planned as well as Kappel's Volga chaps.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Really interesting, thanks for posting. I'm interested in the period/genre, but so far, I don't game it.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »
Yes, Scott! These windings can be lighter - but the color of burnt tissue.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »
Other colours are either Vallejo Model, Coat d'arms WWII paints, or the now extinct Reaper Master Series - they had some really good greens.

Reaper's Master Series isn't at all extinct. They did have a second, parallel line of paints at one point that they did pull, though. I think they were in screw-top pots instead of the very nice dropper bottles the Master Series paints are in.

Reds are up next on the painting desk - 2nd or 3rd Army, or maybe 5th. Then maybe a squad of Orenburg Cossacks and the 13th Ufa Cadet company. Votinsk are planned as well as Kappel's Volga chaps.

I need to do some more non-generic Russians. My Whites include a unit that's pretty clearly Don Cossacks (red hat-tops, red stripes on blue pants) but the rest of my White & Red mobs are pretty generic.

I meant to ask, which colours did you use for the raspberry shoulderboards? I just used a dark red, after trying a couple of mixed colours to get "raspberry" and giving up. Various sources mention that, the RCW supply situation being what it was, red shoulderboards where they should have been raspberry were not uncommon, so I ran with it!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:59:13 AM »
A period I have always wanted to do.
But I have too many irons in the fire already.
I do enjoy seeing what others paint.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:28 AM »
Yes, Scott! These windings can be lighter - but the color of burnt tissue.
Sorry...not sure what you mean by burnt tissue.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 07:12:24 AM »
Reaper's Master Series isn't at all extinct. They did have a second, parallel line of paints at one point that they did pull, though. I think they were in screw-top pots instead of the very nice dropper bottles the Master Series paints are in.

I need to do some more non-generic Russians. My Whites include a unit that's pretty clearly Don Cossacks (red hat-tops, red stripes on blue pants) but the rest of my White & Red mobs are pretty generic.

I meant to ask, which colours did you use for the raspberry shoulderboards? I just used a dark red, after trying a couple of mixed colours to get "raspberry" and giving up. Various sources mention that, the RCW supply situation being what it was, red shoulderboards where they should have been raspberry were not uncommon, so I ran with it!
I have the old screw top lid ones and can't find them for sale anywhere. They had some really good WWII greens. Thankfully I bought a couple of each! I believe they call them something else know, and a couple of the greens have survived in the dropper bottles.

The Raspberry is: Base coat of Andrea Red Set - #6 (2nd Shadow) A very deep red similar to Vallejo red black. The 1st Highlight is Vallejo Game Colour 12 Scar Red. The 2nd Highlight is Formula P3 Sanguine Highlight. Sorry...it's a very eclectic paint collection.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »
Features of Google translation.

After many washings unstable dye fading of the fabric. It is becoming lighter and lighter. Almost white. But never - pure white.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Features of Google translation.

After many washings unstable dye fading of the fabric. It is becoming lighter and lighter. Almost white. But never - pure white.
I see...that makes more sense. Well these are actually brown with white added.

Here's my inspiration...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:38:54 PM by sepoy1857 »