Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 25mm Star wars, what could I go for?  (Read 6442 times)

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
Re: 25mm Star wars, what could I go for?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
I forgot to mention Ludikbazar which has some SW minis at a low price (I even buy some for conversions) :

http://www.ludikbazar.com/index.php?cPath=3447_2089&full=true&page=1&sort=5a
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »
I was not a fan of the WEG figs. The plastic pre paints are better figures for the most part.

I like the WEG figures, (have plenty of them so I would say that! ;)). The advantage of WOTC over WEG is variety of figures. If you're a hoth-ite, then one sculpt for hoth rebels and one sculpt for Snowtroopers is going to get dull, (believe me). Rebels and general imperials, pilots, scum, droids, bounty hunters..all good. Add micro machines vehicles into the mix and you're on to a winner.

I can see whay plastic is attractive and I have to say if I was starting from scratch I'd have to say that I would be sorely tempted to the dark (and bendy) side.

Good luck

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
I must say I do love lead!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
I like the WEG figures, (have plenty of them so I would say that! ;)). The advantage of WOTC over WEG is variety of figures. If you're a hoth-ite, then one sculpt for hoth rebels and one sculpt for Snowtroopers is going to get dull, (believe me). Rebels and general imperials, pilots, scum, droids, bounty hunters..all good. Add micro machines vehicles into the mix and you're on to a winner.

I can see whay plastic is attractive and I have to say if I was starting from scratch I'd have to say that I would be sorely tempted to the dark (and bendy) side.

Good luck

The Commander

100% on the commanderīs side. Itīs the same for me: I own countless WEG minis and have so many matching Micro Machines that I wouldnīt think about anything else. Although I would resist the temptation to be drawn to the leadless and bendy side...

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »
I must say I do love lead!

I agree with you, Commander and Michi, lead is the best . I have almost all WEG pewter miniatures but I went on the dark side with WOTC plastic minis and I don't regret it. You can make conversions, have a large choice and it's less expensive.

Here are some of my repaints and conversions with WOTC minis :

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25481.0
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:49:35 PM by YIU »

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »
You are right I forgot hard plastic (and resin too)...and it is the best for conversions.

The problem with soft plastic is that it is sometimes harder to paint than other materials.

The advantage : it doesn't break, it's light and it's cheaper (and prepainted for lazzy people).

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 04:26:36 AM »
I guess I'm getting old. I really don't see the WEG miniatures as bad sculpts. I love some of these minis. There are one or two dogs in the mix, but over all I think these are some of the finer miniatures around. My main problem with WEG is the lack of prequel material. (For some this might be a bonus.) If you want to do anything gaming set during the Clone Wars get ready for some serious conversions. 

As for how expensive they are, well there you have me. I'm in the same boat as the Commander. I have loads of these little lead beauties. On the other hand, are the prices so bad when you consider how much modern miniatures go for? $15 for a pack of three figures would have sounded horrible in the past. Now it's starting to sound like a deal.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
I've got a fair few of the WOTC plastic figures - enough for about 40 figures a side, I need to buy some more - but I can just chuck them all in one box and not worry - which helps with storage. I have a few of the metal ones they did too which are really nice. Aside from that, I have loads of the WEG ones which I really like, and they match up well with GZG 25mm's which you can use as Imperial Army, PDF etc.

I do have a mate who is going to sculpt me some 15mm rebel troopers and 15mm stormtroopers (to start with) and I can use the plethora of nice 15mm stuff out there with them - can't wait!  :-*

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Have to disagree with Scurv on sculpting quality in respect to WEG stuff. Granted as already confirmed they're are a few nab sculpts, and the poses for some figures aren't really dynamic compared to today, but these weren't sculpted today but 20+ years ago. And for that I think they stand up pretty well:

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
despite the odd bendy lightsabre.

I told you already, that only happens when I drink too much  ;)

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »
I told you already, that only happens when I drink too much  ;)

A slight case of whiskey-saber?
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery