Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Firefight Muster Troops and Retained Knights  (Read 5672 times)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Firefight Muster Troops and Retained Knights
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »
I disliked them back in the 90's for some reason. I think I bought a Shia Kahn Battlemaster with a gatling gun. Now I love them because they almost look like something Vaugn Bode or Richard Corben would have drawn in Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant. They almost embody the 70's and early to mid 80's Sci-fi poster look. Pipes, vents, hoses, cables, nurnies, connectors, rivets, cowlings, bearings, plates, etc. are all nested tightly together everywhere and the troops have these weirdly expressive poses that you'd normally only see in cartoon illustrations. And it's not the old " holding a sword up and shouting YAAAAGHHHH! to Crom" pose either. It's more of a tired, vaguely paranoid, "slogging on to find more alien heads to crack so I can finally go home" look. The Quar have the same sort of look to them. The weight of the long war is on them and they don't have time or the energy to pose on no heap of beached skulls for some portrait painter. Those huge techno backpack reactor things they carry are just awesome. Loads of relief to them. Fun to paint I'll bet.

This.
Slowly assembling my own forces.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 08:19:51 AM »
Great! I have some of them in my paint queue right now. Hopefully I will get them ready for gaming this summer.

I alway loved those miniatures, from the first time I saw them and I am very happy that the line is back.

I think I have about 30 of the knights and as soon as my economy allows me I will buy some of the muster.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
I disliked them back in the 90's for some reason. I think I bought a Shia Kahn Battlemaster with a gatling gun. Now I love them because they almost look like something Vaugn Bode or Richard Corben would have drawn in Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant. They almost embody the 70's and early to mid 80's Sci-fi poster look. Pipes, vents, hoses, cables, nurnies, connectors, rivets, cowlings, bearings, plates, etc. are all nested tightly together everywhere and the troops have these weirdly expressive poses that you'd normally only see in cartoon illustrations. And it's not the old " holding a sword up and shouting YAAAAGHHHH! to Crom" pose either. It's more of a tired, vaguely paranoid, "slogging on to find more alien heads to crack so I can finally go home" look. The Quar have the same sort of look to them. The weight of the long war is on them and they don't have time or the energy to pose on no heap of beached skulls for some portrait painter. Those huge techno backpack reactor things they carry are just awesome. Loads of relief to them. Fun to paint I'l bet.

I couldnt have put it better myself but wish I had, very well written and emotes exactly how I see them :D

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Seriously nice stuff!

I just bought a bit from AA and their firefight line... Nox troopers and goblins though. Looking forward to painting them,.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »
I agree with you, but your brushwork does an exemplary job highlighting all the old-school character embodied in those figs. Genuinely well done.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 07:22:16 PM »
Thanks! I really love paleomerus' description of these models as he really pinpoints what I like about these models too. What he said also goes for the first GW space maringe though, which these models also reminded me of:

Painted by Phil Lewis:
http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle1990/numbered/le02SpaceMarine.htm
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
I have started an Ion Age project up for this years Horisont convention.

My thread is in the workbench: HERE

For anyone interested.

There is not so much there yet, but I will hopefully update on a regular basis.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »
This is  the most eloquent thread about a line of I've ever read.  I agree there is something much more characterful in them compared to the very standardized "I AM HEROIC" poses favored in most figure lines today.