Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:07:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battlefield  (Read 10415 times)

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
The Battlefield
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »
Just a message to let Lead Adventurers know that The Battlefield is now available on Wargame Vault.

The Battlefield brings the first and third person shooter experiences of games like Ghost Recon, Call Of Duty, and Battlefield to the tabletop. It utilizes the Overdrive activation mechanic and features:
  • 8 Classes
  • 9 Vehicle Profiles
  • 35 Loadouts
  • 9 Game Modes
  • Supports 2-8 players
  • Rules for Zombies, insurgents, and Mercs

As always, I'm here for any questions you may have! ;)

'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
Re: The Battlefield
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
Interesting but I will wait for someone to review it before giving it a try (the Allied support part almost sell it to me...).  ::)
D6? D8? D10? D20? How many stats for each miniature? ...  ???
A word for miniatures, scenery and rules compulsive buying ? Zhobbyllness !

Ulu Elsomalien

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Interesting but I will wait for someone to review it before giving it a try (the Allied support part almost sell it to me...).  ::)
D6? D8? D10? D20? How many stats for each miniature? ...  ???

As far as allied support goes, there are a couple of very exciting announcements that will be coming in short order. :D

As far as dice go, everything in the game is based on D6s. There are multiple mechanics used, but that is the only die type required.

Each infantry unit has 4 main stats in addition to their movement. I use the term unit, instead of miniature, because you have options for both FPS [first person shooter] and TPS [third person shooter] basing which essentially means you can have an individual soldier or a fire team.The core stats are:
AV attack value used for ranged engagements
DV defensive value used versus ranged fire
CQ infantry units proficiency in close quarters battle
DT damage threshold represents a units ability to withstand all types of damage [physical, psychological, etc.]

You also have values for spotting and capturing objectives.

With the exception of snipers, all of the squad based classes start with the same base values [so nothing difficult to remember ;)]. It's the unit's training, battlefield role, Loadout, and kit that modify those and make them better [or worse] at certain things. You should never have to refer to a stat line for infantry units.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
The Battlefield brings the first and third person shooter experiences of games like Ghost Recon, Call Of Duty, and Battlefield to the tabletop

Snap.

;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=24832.0

Seriously though, will be interested to see how the game dynamic works - the set I wrote for Salute a couple of years ago, were intentionally quick and simple to allow bolt-ons - yours have obviously a lot more flesh on them.

8)

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
I just came on to ask about the release date of these rules...and bingo they are out... Nice long bath and when i`m out i pick up a copy...Cheers

Alan-Uk

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
That's interesting indeed! Actually i will not buy until i've read a third-person review, but it looks promising so far =)

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
That's interesting indeed! Actually i will not buy until i've read a third-person review, but it looks promising so far =)

I'm very tempted to purchase it and do a review ( in french with "light" english translation). How much the hard copy will sell ? Any bundle (hard+pdf) planned ?

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »
Snap.

;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=24832.0

Seriously though, will be interested to see how the game dynamic works - the set I wrote for Salute a couple of years ago, were intentionally quick and simple to allow bolt-ons - yours have obviously a lot more flesh on them.

8)

I'd love to hear what you think about the rules. I enjoyed following your Battlefield project, and it was reassuring to see that I wasn't the only one obsessed with Arica Harbor! 8) Also, if you do get a chance to put the game on that fantastic table of yours, then I've sent you a PM for a small tweak I'd use for building destruction. Buildings in The Battlefield can be attacked and destroyed, but there is an additional option that could be used on your table. ;)

I'm very tempted to purchase it and do a review ( in french with "light" english translation). How much the hard copy will sell ? Any bundle (hard+pdf) planned ?
The price on the hard copy hasn't been sorted yet as the full color paper/binding options are still be worked out. I haven't worked out the logistics of doing a bundle yet , but I'll definitely be doing something for the people that purchased the PDF- even if it's just a flat discount.

Offline des loup

• Student
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
Review  :o

http://deltavector.blogspot.com/2012/05/battlefield-miniature-modern-warfare.html

I picked up the game but haven't gotten it on the table yet. So far I'm agreeing with everything that the reviewer said. I'll post my own impressions later but it's looking to be pretty awesome.

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
Reviewed it too (french and english, if you can read both, you'll get a little surprise  ;D )

Clicky Linky

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
I own the rules and hope to test them tomorrow.

I will post an impression afterwards.  ;)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »
Read the review on Delta Vector  and left unimpressed. I will stick to Force on Force. I understand some people will like it, for me it is just a waste of time. I just dabbled in CoD for the graphic oomph and some ability to tell a story (the first two were good then everything was going over the top). I cannot see myself playing CoD or its clone on my table. I have also some problem with the definition of "purists" by the reviewer. I call it common sense. A bit too polemical for my taste. I will say that someone considers complaining about respawn "purism" we are in different hobbies. Fine, no GW police here no one invented the hobby and say that you can only play with the Hobby, but IMHO not all rule sets are created equal in terms of aim as not every player. 

I cannot in faith define this new thing as wargaming as I do not define wargames CoD or Battlefield.

Still if people will buy miniatures and terrain for ti it will be good (not that I envision a mass emigration of computer and console players though  :-X ).

PS: why I have the feeling someone in some forum will say "great but why the author has not done a computer version of it? It would have been awesome!" (pun intended not against the author or players, but against humanity...)

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 07:38:17 AM »
I see nothing inherently wrong in a game of this type, nor in the idea that it isn't a war game as such. In a hobby where people are happy to mix non-human races, magic and the undead, is 're-spawning' the end of the world? Each to their own though.

What I got from the review is that the game is fun and presents a new set of challenges that aren't readily available in a typical war game. It won't draw in a wave of new players from the console gaming community, but it might give you an evening's entertainment with a group of like-minded friends.

I understood 'purist' to mean someone who takes themselves far too seriously btw. I'd imagine that like most game systems out there (especially Force on Force), you'll either love it or hate it. It won't replace Force on Force for me, but I could see me playing it from time to time.

:)

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
Read the review on Delta Vector  and left unimpressed.

Maybe you read the wrong review.  ;)

I totally agree about CoD telling stories "over the top" but you forgot to mention Battlefield (2 & 3) that is the second inspiration for this ruleset. And (that's my point) there is no story in both (BF3 have a really bad solo), and this ruleset reflects this (team deatmatch, capture the flag,...) and can't be judged on this point.

Still if people will buy miniatures and terrain for ti it will be good (not that I envision a mass emigration of computer and console players though   ).

PS: why I have the feeling someone in some forum will say "great but why the author has not done a computer version of it? It would have been awesome!" (pun intended not against the author or players, but against humanity...)

Computer/console players aren't different from others people so this "mass emigration" wouldn't be worse than any other sort of people.I only began my miniatures collection/blog because I really like(d) playing videogames (on Game Cube, PC, PS2 now Xbox 360)about modern warfare and scifi FPS, I ever saw wargaming as videogames but me being the "game engine", some sort of videogames for the "poor" (could have bought 10+ PS3 with all the lead I acquired). Videogames being wargaming for the "lazy" people.  ;D

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
I am quite [picky on the definition of wargaming and follow Peter Perla and Philip Sabin lead on that. I do not see how this release can be fit into it. I play wargames for the historical learning experiences, I consider fantasy and SCI-Fi outside wargming and comprising their own "hobby". Actually we have to admit that if you play anything GW related you are playing another hobby alotogethe,r one that has been invented by GW...

I play FPS to shoot at 3D images. Cannot see the two things together.

As I said if people find it fun and derives enjoyment from it it is positive. Is some computer player can be bothered to try it even better. Other than that I do not see anything of interests for me.