Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Group basing 28mm figures for platoon and company level rules?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Been hoovering up 28mm Russian and German WW2 figures on Ebay but haven't decided on rules yet. Looking at Crossfire or Too Fat Lardies' I Ain't Been Shot Mum, amongst others. Seems impractical to have individual basing, so was wondering if there is an "ideal" base size and number of figures per base? I've read Matakishi's suggestion for Crossfire, but interested in gathering as many suggestions as possible.

Cheers
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Group basing 28mm figures for platoon and company level rules?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
Go for movement trays, there are a few companies selling smaller skirmish one. the ones I have/had for my moderns are by S&S And work using 1penny bases. That way leaves you some leeway for a number of rules

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
Basing is always a tough call, I think I am going to wait and see what I get with my models I order. Looking at Bolt Action and Plastic soldier's 28mm and the basing for both. Then go with something that makes the most sense. I have thought about washers or pennies.

The idea of movement trays is on my mind also...personally I doubt you will need them until you get to REALLY huge games. Platoon and Squad level should not be that bad.

Rules are a tough thing, lots of good choices. My final verdict cam down between Disposable Heroes and Rules of Engagement. DH won due to there being more players in the area....something worth considering. Both had other elements I liked including less armies in WWII as options to play.

I have been shopping plastics and metals both for possible Russian and German armies...Bolt Action and  Plastic Soldier are winning out there due to cost, variety and plastic options.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
I don't use 28mm myself (15mm for me) for IABSM but here  is a link to a guy who does: http://perrysheroes.free.fr/spip.php?article445

Excellent site and should provide you with an idea of how others tackle 28mm with the rules.

Chris
Chris Stoesen

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »
Thanks, plenty to think about there.

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
Been hoovering up 28mm Russian and German WW2 figures on Ebay but haven't decided on rules yet. Looking at Crossfire or Too Fat Lardies' I Ain't Been Shot Mum, amongst others. Seems impractical to have individual basing, so was wondering if there is an "ideal" base size and number of figures per base? I've read Matakishi's suggestion for Crossfire, but interested in gathering as many suggestions as possible.

Cheers

There is no problem for using individually based minis. I just positionned my squad with bases at less that 20mm each other.

For the attacking side, it is sometimes useful to use magnets or magnetic bases onto a metal moving tray

Olivier