Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Perry Late Medievals  (Read 14040 times)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
New Perry Late Medievals
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Advertised in the latest WI, but no pics

3 Mounted Italian generals
Mounted and dismounted Italian clergy, cardinal and priests.
Italian Command, 2 officers, 2 std bearers, 1 drummer and 1 trumpeter

and just for Richard, 2 more carts, 1 with water/wine barrell and 1 with wicker sides

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: New Perry Late Medievals
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »

I like the sound of those!  :D

and just for Richard, 2 more carts, 1 with water/wine barrell and 1 with wicker sides

More carts???!!! How many flipping wagons can you fit on one medieval battlefield? That's about 8 now!  ::)

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
Advertised in the latest WI, but no pics

3 Mounted Italian generals
Italian Command, 2 officers, 2 std bearers, 1 drummer and 1 trumpeter

Any hint when we might see them...?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »
I just got this from Alan, not that he writes to me personally, you understand:

We're just starting to receive our new codes, so over the next couple of weeks keep an eye on the lists as we add to them. Some of the first include the Russian Napoleonic 'casualty wagon' and the apothecary wagon. These two are up on the lists now. Loads more to come!

Alan Perry

www.perry-miniatures.com
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:21:35 PM »
I believe Michael said at Salute that at least one of the Italian mounted generals is on a cloth-covered barded horse - should be useful to mix in.
Hopefully available for end of this month.
Simon.

I believe there's still another variation of a medieval 'cart' to come...!!

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »
Any hint when we might see them...?

Nope, it just says new.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »
I believe Michael said at Salute that at least one of the Italian mounted generals is on a cloth-covered barded horse - should be useful to mix in.
Hopefully available for end of this month.
Simon.

Thanks for info Simon. Seems unlikely DT will have stock for Sunday then.

[/quote]I believe there's still another variation of a medieval 'cart' to come...!![/quote]

:o :o :o

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:20 PM »
Nope, it just says new.
Well, still good news!

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:13:32 AM »
I just got this from Alan, not that he writes to me personally, you understand:

www.perry-miniatures.com

What! He sent it to you too, two timing hussy  :'(

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
Now this sounds like excellent news
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »
Now to add some "historical flavour" Rogue minis have a couple of characters out or due out, the dwarf and the Slack Bladder which no photos of as yet but he is stunning. I imagine them hiding in the baggage train lol

http://www.rogueminiatures.co.uk/index.php/sword-miniatures/jack-miniature.html

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
I'm really impressed with the way these ranges are developing and I hope it continues!  8)

More carts???!!! How many flipping wagons can you fit on one medieval battlefield? That's about 8 now!  ::)

About one cart per 5-10 of the common sort of men, those of more noble birth might have 1 or 2+ each. Obviously all these carts needed carts to support them; blacksmiths, farriers, wheelwrights, coopers, haywains etc. Then there's the camp followers and the carts bearing their wares.

This is why the Yorkist army heading north in 1461, split into three parts for the journey north, travelled by different roads and staggered their departure. Otherwise the head of the column would have reached Coventry just as London closed the gates behind the last one leaving*.

* I might be exaggerating a tad here.  ::)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
Jim, your erudition never ceases to impress and delight me  :)

I agree they are all lovely carts, and lots of medieval footsloggers probably hitched rides on such things. My objection is really just one of practicality on the wargames table. I guess if you're playing a Perry style mega-game on a 12 foot long table with several hundred figures a side, a few wagons are neither here nor there.

But for the type of games I (and most people I know) play, maybe on a 6 foot table and with 100 figures per side max, 8 or 9 carts and wagons is going to look like the M25 on a bad Friday evening!

And yes, I know I don't have to buy them  lol

I do just wonder how much of a practical market there is for so many different late medieval carts and wagons...
Still, that's up to the Perrys I guess.
If I thought I could ever sensibly field such a convoy (or for that matter paint all the ruddy things) I would probably succumb...  ::)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
I am surprised the Malamute, Bibbly et al havent pounced on them for Robin Hood type scenarios ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
I recall someone once saying that Foundry's market was as much centred on collectors as it was on wargamers (or those like me, who profess to be wargamers, but collect figures and hide them away, unpainted, in cupboards). Amongst the collectors and wargamers, there are the diorama builders (be it in their own right, or as game garnishing), who I suspect are all the target audiences.

I suspect the plethora of carts does derive from the mega-games... they've made them for their own use, so why not recoup the costs by offering them for sale? There's no cost outlay really as they've already made them and each one sold reduces the original outlay for personal use. I have to admit I've mentally found uses for all of the models, both the complete sets and the basic wagons. Fortunately my imagination exceeds my credit limit and reason will slowly make herself heard I suppose.  :?

Off the top of my head I can mention Blore Heath, which appears to have centred on a Yorkist Wagon Laager and the Tewkesbury Campaign, where Margaret's army (and by association baggage train) was being harried by Edward's scourers as they attempted find a crossing point on the Severn. There's no doubt many other uses to which they could be put.

However when you look at the cost and usefulness in comparison to the number of 'fighting' figures/models you could buy or devote the time to paint up instead, then the scales tip against them... don't suppose they'd consider doing them in plastic?  :D