Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Island of Blood Griffins and other minis, why so cheap???  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Island of Blood Griffins and other minis, why so cheap???
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
If this topics gets move i say sorry ahead of time. :-)

But i have been perusing eBay for some time. Recently with the talk of the new Deathclaw mini there was comment son the IoB Griffin so i went a lookin. The Island of Blood griffin and rider are on eBay all day and night for a few bucks and selling. At some times it goes for a buck or $2 with $5 in shipping. But i dont get why? Is it not a good model? Is it not liked? Is it poor? Is it just sucky? What is the reason? What am i missing? Someone please enlighten me. I need to know. :-)

Grimm

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Island of Blood Griffins and other minis, why so cheap???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:17:30 AM »
There are a lot of therm around and they are tiny in comparison to the Deathclaw model.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »
The reason is it comes in the starter set (high elves vs skaven) and then gets sold off by all those gamers who only keep the skaven. Likewise, the skaven get sold off by the ones interested in the high elves only. And some people just want the rules and accessories and aren't interested in either of the included armies.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
I bought mine on ebay and I dig it. 
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:12:27 AM »
Age old story of needing lots of troops for an army, but only 1 leader. You need 3-4 sets of the Elven infantry to make decent units for Warhammer these days, but you don't need more than 1 general on the griffon. 2-3 mages yes, and perhaps an army standard bearer.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:18:23 AM »
There are a lot of them around and they are tiny in comparison to the Deathclaw model.
Yep, they are smaller. And buy 99% of the comments Deathclaw is way too big. But being as that may, how big Deathclaw is shouldnt have THAT much of an affect on the price of the IoB Griffin.

The reason is it comes in the starter set (high elves vs skaven) and then gets sold off by all those gamers who only keep the skaven. Likewise, the skaven get sold off by the ones interested in the high elves only. And some people just want the rules and accessories and aren't interested in either of the included armies.
Yep again. Have seen that ever since GW made the 2 army boxes. Used to see em at the cons, the retailers would sell the boxed sets with either all of one army or another. Still dont see why this has any control on why such a great looking model as the Griffin goes for a buck or two. And for that matter, the troops as well. The standard troops gor for less than a buck each and the named leaders for a buck or two themselves.

I bought mine on eBay and I dig it.
I dig as well my friend. I have been looking for some time. I like the Griffin as well as the High Elf leadership models. Trying to find one seller with all three. :-)

Age old story of needing lots of troops for an army, but only 1 leader. You need 3-4 sets of the Elven infantry to make decent units for Warhammer these days, but you don't need more than 1 general on the griffon. 2-3 mages yes, and perhaps an army standard bearer.
Though i made comments on the troops and leadership above and how they are going for a small amount as well, in the end doesn't make sense. This is the norm for any army, but if you look at other "troop" or "leadership" for High Elves you will see they aren't going for these small prices either. In plastics or metal or Finecrap.

I have seen and read what people has said. I still dont see it explaining the situation. I am for no reason a pointy ear lover of the kind. In the war, stunties lead the charge but i do like these models and think it is a damn fine price and some need to be purchased. Now if i could get a Kohril and a few White Lion lions i would be set for a bit. Oh and one of those that kool looking High Elf champs that Fram painted. :-)

Grimm

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 07:20:36 AM »
Its just a case of demand and supply, people will only pay what they percieve something is worth.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:57 AM »
My wife painted one and it came out quite nice.  I really like the figure. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
I had no idea the IoB minis were going so cheap, just had a shufti at some bargain basement poison wind mortars that I shouldn't even be thinking of buying!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
Are the IoB models "old" scale high elves (i.e. pre 2009/2010) or are they "new" scale (i.e. damn near 40 mm and totally incompatible with any other 28mm/30mm lines).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.