Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686434
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 3d dungeon W.i.P  (Read 21088 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: D&D Wrath of Ashardalon compatible 3d dungeon W.i.P
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
It looks like a lot of work - but the end result is fantastic. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
the video u posted. It sounds like u have tried the method, do you think this would be capable of making two sided molds?

the breakage of the molds sucks but for the price cant beat it

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
Searching for "silicon starch mold" on google, it seems it can be done. Probably difficult, but...

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
Silicon poorman molding is working. I used it to make ice tiles. The only issues are the smell (it keeps a vinegar smell for weeks), and the fact it quickly started to become damaged (but I suspect I put too much starch in it). But I liked the fact there is no noticeable shrinking

The other difficult is to correctly mold all details, since the "silicon putty" you make is not as fluid as pouring liquid  silicon.

But it works. Since you can buy a cartdrige of silicone for around 1.50euros, and a kilogram of starch for 2, it still a good poorman solution. I'll use it for my dungeon walls and doors, and my battletech 1/300 scenery, really soon.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
Hi,

I started to work again on my set, thinking about all extra parts I still need to do :

doors (wooden and cages)
pilars
walls (I'm still wondering if I'll go for complete walls of small ones for easier play...)
treasure piles
chests
traps

and maybe an extra liquid set too...it would be nice to find a way to make one unique set for both lava, clear water, muddy water/sewers.

Since I was pulling the dungeon floor set out, I made a few more photos, a bit better than the last ones, with some sample creatures to show the scale (big-medium-28mm human sized) :

Should be enough rooms to handle any solitaire dungeon crawling.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 3d dungeon W.i.P
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
Here's the last progress I made.

After using cork with succes for my urban scenery, I thought I could use it also for my 3d dungeon.

So today I cut a lot of cork to make walls for my dungeon. Yesterday, I modified some tiles too, to make a big room (for lair bad guy), 2 medium rooms (12" long, 4" width 3 figures can be fighting side by side), 2 small rooms (about 10" long, 4" width), and one lair/dungeon entrance (from 5" to 8" long, 4" width).

I also made a passeways set (2" large).

The walls are around 3.5cm high. The size allows a good wall feeling, but keep the figures enough visible on the gaming table. It's also about saving some cork lenght  lol

Now I'm thinking about how I'll add details on these walls. The goal is always to find the good balance between time spent and final result.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
First row is glued with PVA glue.  :D

Still a lot of gluing to do. I prefer to use PVA glue because once it's dry, it's really strong. And the fact it take some time allows me to correctly connect the parts.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
All the pieces are glued together, the last ones are currently drying.

I'm still wondering how I will finish the wall...Carving details, textured paint, cardboard details...I still don't know. The goal is to make it fast, and as nice as possible. Any advices or ideas welcome ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »
Well, a bit late now...but my only advice would have been to apply the finish prior to gluing them to the base-pieces.   lol  No idea though, haven't worked much with cork (even though I have a big pack of it upstairs...).

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »
I first thought the same, but finally decided to glue the walls first, to not have to make paint fixes because of glue spots and all. And the gluing should be sturdier too (bare material sticks better I think).

Tonight I  installed a mock setup, to see how it looks, and how fast it is to setup a dungeon. It's surprisingly fast, faster than installing a decent usual miniatures gaming table. I also discovered that I forgot one piece for one of the rooms, so I'm currently building it  lol

Concerning finishing, I believe I'll keep it very simple. Just a textured paint (like the one I used on my super heroes cork city buildings, but light tan color), with a stain, and a few drawn fake stone details.

I'd like to keep the dungeon bi-colored, to be able to use it for several environnements (pyramids, columbian, or classic fantasy medieval).

The overall result should be correct.  I changed my miniatures gaming state of mind :  now I prefer an OK dungeon finished, than a magnificent "work-in-progress-for-life" dungeon  lol

So I'll be able to play really soon, and still be able to add some new details and interior scenery (treasures, traps, rooms furniture, etc...) later

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 11:11:43 PM »
I'm definitely anxious to see the final result.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
I made some shopping this morning, and bought what I needed to finish the dungeon.

I bought some terracota effect spray paint (I already used it for my cork city buildings, it works well with cork, giving a nice ultra matte finish, like real brick), and some shoe polish, to test a technic I saw on Hirst Arts website, to give an antic/egyptian effect.

I also made the missing piece this morning, it's currently drying. Here's also a pic of all the pieces (except the missing piece drying).

I think today I'll add some little rubbles where the floor and walls meet, to make the wall assembly sturdier, and give a more polished finish.

I'm also thinking about adding a small cardboard band to give some relief...We'll see.

I also ordered 4 thin marker pencils (from 0.1mm to 0.7). I'm a bit disapointed since except the 2 first ones (0.1 and 0.3) , the other ones are too thick for any minis or scenery use. Too bad since the pens are a bit expensive (I bougth a sealed set).

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
That really does look SPLENDID...the cork walls add tremendously to the claustrophobic dungeon effect. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
Thanks !

the cork walls add tremendously to the claustrophobic dungeon effect

I agree. I first thought that "simple" 3d dungeon floors with a few accessories would be suficient, but the walls add something, really. I kept them low (perfect for my true 28mm ral partha heroes) to keep a good playability.

I forgot to say that I will also add some plastic rails for removable doors I'll make too.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »
Hi,

I believe I found a nice idea for my dungeon, this afternoon I cut balsa wood stripes, to make some wood supports on dungeon pieces sides.

It looks like a mine, or even a tavern. With the antics/egyptian treatment I want to do on the walls, it should give me a multiple purpose dungeon, wich I could use in a lot of diferent game settings (pulp, horror, fantasy).

Here's a sample pic. THe wood bits will be trimmed tommorow, once the glue will be dry. The wall themselves will be trimmed a bit.

Finally it will be a bit more complex than I expected (cutting and gluing all these bits of balsa wood take a lot of time), but the result will be better. After all, we don't build 3d dungeons every week.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:39:30 PM by sundayhero »