Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:10:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WWW2 Rules Quest  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
WWW2 Rules Quest
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:26:17 PM »
I have a large range of 28mm WWW2 figures that I have collected with various rulesets or because they look cool (most recently Eureka's Kreigsclaw). While I enjoy the various rules I have, I have also been looking for a WWW2 rules set which will allow me to get all my various figures on a table at the same time and play some large skirmish games (40-80 figures plus vehicles and aircraft). In my quest for my perfect rules set I have tried (and so far rejected):

SotTR, DW, Incursion: Which are all tied to particulalr figure ranges (have not tried but get the sense AE-WWII also falls in this catagory).
Geheimkrieg: Has a fair but flexibility, but 'chess board' mechanics make it too board game like for my tastes.
Nuts WWE: Best of the contenders, but the THW rection system has no traction in my club (or even state - possibly country) so it would be a huge effort to use these rules (plus no dinosaurs)

I know I am being picky  :D, but any other ideas, either for WWW2 rules or mods for other rules?

Peter 

Offline robertsjf

• Librarian
Re: WWW2 Rules Quest
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
Do you need a perfect fit rule set because your gaming club won't touch any homebrew modifications?

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »
Nuts WWE: Best of the contenders, but the THW rection system has no traction in my club (or even state - possibly country) so it would be a huge effort to use these rules (plus no dinosaurs)

I know I am being picky  :D, but any other ideas, either for WWW2 rules or mods for other rules?

Peter  

Ah, but NUTS *does* have rules for Dinosaurs!! There are two books that have NUTS compatible rules for dinos:

1. Lost Lands: Includes rules for adding Dinos, prehistoric mammals and cavemen to NUTS.

http://www.twohourwargames.com/adventures-in-the-lost-lands.html

2. Motor City BC: A vehicle combat compendium compatible with NUTS, includes rules for Dinos vs vehicles and a campaign system for adding vehicles to Lost Lands adventures. NUTS compatible scenarios include a Victorian Mastodon hunt; WW1 armored cars in East Africa in the Valley of Mokele M'bembe; Harley motorcycles on Skull Island; Stuart tanks vs T-rexs;  American teenagers racing against radioactive lizards to save a desert town; and the not-Dukes of Hazzard against cavemen and prehistoric critters...

http://www.twohourwargames.com/motorcitybc.html

Cheers!!
-John-
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:29:05 PM by SBMiniaturesGuy »
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
You need to take a look at the Savage Worlds system:
Specific expansions for WWW2 and Vietnam/Indochina:
http://www.peginc.com/games/weird-wars/

Plus it is very simple to incorporate any other Savage Worlds genre, Pulp, Fantasy, Pirates, Vampires and even Dinosaurs and play it at all levels from RPG up to big skirmish like you want.

Very easy system to get into and very flexible.

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
Victory Decision!

Currently a WWII game but it is expanding into both the Weird War and Sci-fi Genres in the near future.  It is not tied to a particular line of minis and has a points system. 

While I don't play WWII I liked the preview so much I picked up the rules.  They are exactly what I was looking for in a 28mm system - but of course it covers other scales as well.

You can read more about it here at Lead-adventure in its own sub forum:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?board=62.0

There are also two free Weird War Promos out right now:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41351.0

-Tim

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Robert: Homebrew modifications are fine - but if someone has done the hard work of coming up with rules and playtesting them to ensure they work that would be my first choice.
John: Thanks for the advice about the THW supplements . I was not aware they are compatible with NUTs. I may actually have to make the effort to push the THW option.
Rob: Looked at savage worlds - in part because the rules got a great review from the D6G recently - but didn't really look like the system stretched to large skirmish? Is this unique to the WWW2 system?
Tim: Thanks for the tip I had not considered victory decision - will give it a look.

Peter

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:42:57 AM »
Defiance: Vital Ground will work in a pinch too, although it definitely falls flat of the "no traction" part... Admittedly you'll have to do the hard work yourself - that is, build up the forces - but there are some WWII suggestions in the rulebook and I've been mildly considering doing something with Dust Warfare minis just for the heck of it :P

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
Defiance: Vital Ground will work in a pinch too, although it definitely falls flat of the "no traction" part... Admittedly you'll have to do the hard work yourself - that is, build up the forces - but there are some WWII suggestions in the rulebook and I've been mildly considering doing something with Dust Warfare minis just for the heck of it :P

Defiance has a lot of crunch and I think if you were willing to give it your all it would be a great system.  The lack of a good design aid kept this game as a dream for us instead of a reality. 

-Tim

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »
John: Thanks for the advice about the THW supplements . I was not aware they are compatible with NUTs. I may actually have to make the effort to push the THW option.

Sure thing. Many of the THW rules are compatible with each other, and may have "cross over" rules called out -- primarily Lost Lands, NUTS and FNG are pretty compatible, and I think Six Gun Sound and the newer Black Powder era rules can interchange as well.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:50 AM »
SOTR doesn't rely upon a particular brand of minis, at our club we have close to 20 makes of mini between our armies;

Westwind, GW, Wargames Factory, Warlord, Reaper, Heroclix, Dust Tactics, Fiendish Fabrications, Eureka, Artizan, Tamiyia, Starship Troopers, the list goes on...

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
Have to agree with Hat Guy, SotTR is a very flexible system which doesn't demand slavish use of one company's minis, so unless it's the mechanics you don't like I'd suggest giving it a serious look.

Offline gorgarrak

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
I find SOTR the most flexable WWW2 rules out there, and it has a moderately active forum
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/forums/index.php

Mike

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
Oh, there are also some free conversion rules for taking your favorite figures from whatever source into NUTS War Without End, from combat walkers to Axis Gorillas, Zeds, Rocketeers, etc. It's like a DIY weirdness book.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
Has anyone played AE-WW2 and is it any good. I really like the models but are the rules any good.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
I have played AE Bounty and I think it uses the same machanics. AE Bounty is an excellent game, great mechanics, great force lists, great scenarios.
The upcoming Victory Decition WWW2 rules will be the ultimate set for platoon or more sized WW2 actions.