Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:07:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: War of the Roses - Yorkist colours?  (Read 4948 times)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
War of the Roses - Yorkist colours?
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
Hi there,
I just wanted to know of what colours the outfits of Yorkist soldiers in the war of the roses consisted? Because I might start a Yorkist army...
Cheers!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: War of the Roses - Yorkist colours?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
Most famously, the household troops of the House of York itself wore parti-coloured livery jackets in 'murrey and blue' - murrey being a kind of claret colour - with the gold 'sunne in splendour' motif of the House of York embroidered as a livery badge on the left breast (usually shown as the murrey side).

But of course the Yorkist armies would have included the forces of many different lords and nobles at different times in different phases of the wars, and many of these would have clothed their retinues in their own livery colours and badges. Then there were many more troops who who mercenaries or paid men who probably came with their own clothes and equipment, and simply wore a livery badge or field sign pinned to their coat to show their alliegance to one or other faction...

So there was no Yorkist 'uniform' as such for the entire army...
But half-in-half coats in murrey and blue would be a safe bet to start with  ;)
(The blue is halfway between royal and navy)
Highly recommend the paintings of Graham Turner who illustrated all the Osprey WOTR books for inspiration...
You can see his prints here: http://www.studio88.co.uk/acatalog/medieval_prints.html

I have several, including this one hanging on my wall  :)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »
Thanks, Captain Blood! You solved my problem.  :)

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »
Yorkists? Bunch of bed-wetters. You want to paint your army in manly Lancastrian colours.   ;-)
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:54:32 AM »
Yorkists? Bunch of bed-wetters. You want to paint your army in manly Lancastrian colours.   ;-)

QFT

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
If you buy Perry miniatures there is a little booklet inside with several livery colours and the badges.
Max

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »
If you buy Perry miniatures there is a little booklet inside with several livery colours and the badges.
Max

Oh, I didn't know. Thanks!

Offline Archduke of Earl

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 06:11:52 PM »
I have a question re the standard take on the Yorkist livery of blue and murrey. I have read, although it may be an "old-soldier's tale", that the sons of Richard of York changed his livery of blue and white to blue and murrey to commemorate his death (and that of their brother Edmund) at Wakefield.  But if this is true, how many suits of livery would have changed between Wakefield (30 December 1460) and Towton (29 March 1461), a mere three months later?  Perhaps those of their immediate household, but surely the hundreds of their followers who would have worn the earlier Yorkist livery would not have the opportunity to switch. If this is the case, the famous blue-and-murrey outfit would really only appear en masse from the 1464 campaigns onwards. Thoughts?

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia