Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great Rail Wars  (Read 2188 times)

Offline DoctorDuckButter

• Bookworm
Great Rail Wars
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
Hello All,

I recently have invested in the Great Rail Wars books, mostly because I am a fan of Deadlands and I am trying to get back into miniature gaming. Much to my dismay, the figures are hard to come by, but luckily many replacements on different sites have sprung up in various lines.

One issue I am having is creating vehicles for the game, i.e. Steam Wagons, Steam Tanks, Motorcycles, Auto-Gyros, Ect.... I was hoping that people might be able to share ideas on where to purchase, or how to create simply these devices. Also, if you have any ideas on the troops for GRW, that would be awesome too!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Great Rail Wars
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
For tanks and track vehicles vsf vehicles such as those by ironclad are a good start

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »
There are some decent Ornithopter and autogyro conversions about that are based on Dwarf ones from a couple of different manufacturers. Steamtanks, as Lowtardog said, Ironclad is a good start. Steamwagons, I've converted a couple but there isn't much out there. Bikes, nothing at all decent.

Now, that said, I'm going to be working on wagons, bikes and possibly autogyros in the near future, however I need to get some other stuff done first. The intention is to do these as masters so that I can resin cast them but even if everything goes to plan time wise, it'll probably still be the end of the year before they emerge. I had some figures sculpted last year that haven't seen the light of day due to me being laid off and my disposable income dissapearing. That's about to change finally but I won't be earning anywhere near what I was, so I'm going to have to go slowly on this.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
I would LOVE to see some sort of steam-powered Kettenkrad type vehicle.

[EDIT] I see one for 28mm done by Warlord Games / Bolt Action for the Fallschirmjager. In 15mm, I think there are Battlefront and Peter Pig.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:44:24 PM by XCIV »
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Reaper miniatures make some very nice deadlands minis.
For steam tanks I would look at ramshackle games. Their Brass Coffin has loads of room for steampunk type conversions and they have plenty of other parts you can buy separately. They also have an awesome steam spider.
For bikes.......I've done a couple of conversions using a hot wheels bike as a basis.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=10689.255
( near the bottom of the page)
Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »
And an awesome bike conversion it is too :)

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
Not to change the subject but Dean I really hope to see the minis you had done one of these days!
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »
Not to change the subject but Dean I really hope to see the minis you had done one of these days!

I'd like to get them sorted and cast too ;)
It's not a complete change of subject, they're suitable for GRW games.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
I'd like to get them sorted and cast too ;)
It's not a complete change of subject, they're suitable for GRW games.
Here's hoping!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
Did a quick Google, and see you're also getting help on Pinnacle's forum.  lol

I also see that you are in Tampa, and a suggestion of looking at Ral Partha Europe for the Dwarf Ornithopter probably won't be as tempting as if you were across the pond.

Though, the no-VAT tends to cancel higher shippage. I found if I would have bought three or four, it's cheaper than you'll find on eBay. Also, it's simple and rough enough to have a Deadlands feel to me. I wouldn't expect floating battleships in the air.

I'm looking into a US source, and seeing if it's even cheaper.

Doug

Edit: Just remembered seeing Terry Sofian's ornithopter made from a WWI Albatross. He's making it for 15mm, but the 1/48th kits aren't too dear, and seem to work, though I think of it as more a Martian flyer. He's taken the fuselage, fused the prop hub, removed the prop blades, cut the top wing in half to match the bottom half wings, and mounted the semi-wings to the sides as if on gimbals. Wasn't the original DL Ornithopter roughly a monoplane Albatross? I know I have one somewhere...

Re-Edit: After another trip to the Pinnacle forum:
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33878&sid=a4be092ace1ce3809148f95b3bcdd364

I was wondering if the old Ral Partha Dwarf Steam Cannon might be useful. It's a low flatbed instead of a buckboard, and the bombard is all wrong, but it does have a steam engine. ;->=
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:02:00 PM by The_Beast »