Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Miniature american football  (Read 13034 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Miniature american football
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
Hi,

Since Lead Forum is THE open minded miniature forum, here's some (I believe) exotic figures  :D

These figures are plastic. THe curious base (called "plateform") is made to fit special soft plastic movement bases. The gameboard is vibrating, creating figures movements. You can modify the bases, change weight and figures models/stance, to create your own team and play american football. Here's a little video to explain :

Stronger - MFCA

Basically, it's a old school classic americain boardgame (50's I guess).  Dynamic game, no dices, rulers (except rulers for pass simulation), it's more a game of figures placing and preparation (called "tweaking", wich consists of trying to prepare fast, powerfull, or hybrid movement bases to improve the team skills).  Wargaming ? Almost. You've got a "general" (quarterback), a firt line of defense, some skill players to enter enemy line, attack and defense, and the final goal is to gain opponent territory. The diference is that noone will be killed   and the fact figures doesn't have any skills charts : their skills are designed by real nature physic. 

A few hundreds grown men still playing it, and uses stock vintage figures, but also more detailled ones (some artisans stills create detailed models, sometimes in light resin). You can find diferent poses, accessories (as photo etched facemasks and decals) and blank figures from the cheap but not detailed "old school" ones (available in both 28mm and 30-35mm) to more expensive (around 10USD one) detailed resin models, quite similar to Mcfarlane sports toys, but in "very heroic" scale (around 30-35mm).

Here's some "old school" miniatures, 99% stock versions, the same north american had in their electric football sets. I just added decals, and slightly modified the faces ("lego-ish" faces). I painted fake details to improve the aspect :

Michigan State Spartans

Florida Gators :

Now, some modified figures from a more recent range, heavily customized. Detailed faces, sculpted muscles, new poses. Big scale too ("super heroic" 35mm). No 2 figures the same!

Pittsburg Steelers :

SF 49ers

To explain the customizing process, here's an example of a almost complete re-sculpting of a classic figure :

Here's another one, step by step from another (a bit more stock detailed) miniature brand :

Start chopping a plastic figure :

Gluing the pieces in a new poses (bending sometimes with a lighter), depanding the game position of the final figure (lineback, receiver, etc...), and then sculpting details in green stuff :

Applying paint and decals :

To conclude, my own custom made gameboard :

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:17:27 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Miniature american football
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
oups, douple post, sorry

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
Very interesting  .. and perhaps of use to High School Horror as well as sports fans, too.  You've made the basic figures look good - though, as I've never watched American Football, I'm not sure why so many of them are doing the Funky Chicken.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
the ones on the 2 first teams doing chicken ( lol) are simply stock figures, used for block positions. Their stance and "sculpting" is usefull to block opponent team incursions. Remember that it's a "physical" game : so once you turn the board on, the figures start to move, and have these funny poses can help your team.

The other more detailed teams figures using a quite similar pose are used for the same reason : block the opponent figures.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
I used to follow American football back in the 80's and played for a local junior team. You're right about the strategic and tactical elements of the game with the QB being like a general.

I also remember a boardgame called "Touchdown" which used diecut card pieces for the players. A couple of years later the first version of Bloodbowl came out.....

Your figures and board look great and the game looks great fun.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
 :o :o :o

What an amazing concept combined with great modelling and painting skills!

Love it!
 :-*

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
thank you  !

On a modelling point of view, it's also a fresh way to practice our hobby : new uniforms, diferent than metal armors and army camos, various skin tones, from pale white to deepest black, combining diferent technics like decals, pinstripping, and photo etched accessories, etc, etc...

;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »
On a modelling point of view, it's also a fresh way to practice our hobby : new uniforms, diferent than metal armors and army camos, various skin tones, from pale white to deepest black, combining diferent technics like decals, pinstripping, and photo etched accessories, etc, etc...

;)

Dont worry, that was duly noted!
I am in awe, Sir.
Awe, I tell ya!
 ;D

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »
I've always loved Electric Football.

Got my first set way back in the late 70's for Christmas.  The ones sold in the store were usually the 'Superbowl' teams from the previous year, so I got the Cowboys and the Steelers. 

I was so excited, and even though my set didn't come with the little foam footballs (a missing component) I was able to use little balls of scrap paper for the football.  I wrote the company, and months later got the actual foam balls. 

But the best bit was the day after I got my set, we went to my Great Aunt's house for yet another Christmas party.  This was a stuffy affair, where mom forced us to wear sweaters and smiles.  Anyhow, my Great Aunt always graciously bought us gifts (color books or grooming kits) but never anything for me to get excited for.  This year, however, she got me the entire NFC central teams for my Electric Football.  Seriously one of the best Christmas Gifts I've ever recieved.  All 5 teams were represented in both their Home and Away colors  The Buccaneers, Lions, Packers, Bears, and my Beloved Vikings!!! :-*  They came with little number decals for their jerseys, but back then all the helmets were HAND painted.

That event, more than anything, cemented my love for all things Miniature...

I wish I still had them.  I'd love to rebuild my teams of glory, especially with modern, well sculpted 30mm!  I'm going to do some internet shopping now!

Sorry for the long winded reply, it's just that this set off a wave of Nostalgia for me!

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 02:13:45 AM »
I got electric football when I was a kid too!  I forgot all about them.  Thanks for the nostalgia trip. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 08:35:29 AM »

I wish I still had them.  I'd love to rebuild my teams of glory, especially with modern, well sculpted 30mm!  I'm going to do some internet shopping now!

Sorry for the long winded reply, it's just that this set off a wave of Nostalgia for me!

I'll find some links for you. Finding new material for miniature football can be a little tricky.

I'll keep you informed as soon as possible.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »
So here we go. First the link to the MFCA (miniature football coaches association) wich is basically, the home for miniature football enthusiasts (there is a forum too) :

http://miniaturefootball.org/

Concerning the figures, the old school ones you had in your childhood are Tudor and Miggle.

The unpainted figures are really cheap. You find small 28mm ones and "bigmen" ones (around 30-35mm).  Great bases for customizing (re-sculpting, or hybridation with other brands). The "bigmen" are the most compatible with other brands, concerning scale.
You can also find some photoetched prepainted facemasks (from Jennings, I believe) on miggle website.

You can also find on auction website some "haiti repros" wich are also cheap
old school miniatures.

The other companies and artisans can be reached on MFCA forum. There is Buzzball (forum nickname "coach rip"), producing a new kind of competition figures. Not very detailed, but also cheap and a great plateform for customizing (the complete running back green you see up in the topic is based on a buzzball figure).

He's also producing nice unpainted photoetched facemasks. Thinner and softer than the ones produced by Jennings. The facemasks sprue contains also very old school facemasks (50's years).

Then, the best detail in miniature football "industry" : Jennings figs. The company name is electric gridiron. The best way to find them is to go on mfca forum, again. Here's a good shot of nicely painted Jennings figures :

http://www.miniaturefootball.com/forum/showthread.php?24141-2010-49ers-Custom-Team&highlight=jennings

Really good detail, but quite big scale. Quite pricey also (10usd each, resin, I believe).

Then, Watts figures. Nice details also, good modern look, really nice dynamic and realistic poses, but pricey also (10-15usd each, I believe). Here's a link showing the figures :

http://www.miniaturefootball.com/forum/showthread.php?19767-quot-Operation-OMEGA-Reloaded-quot-mad-scientist

Then, you've got footballfigures.net figures. Really nice price/detail comparison. On the topic, the 49ers offensive squad (dark jerseys) is made 100% based on ff.net figures. Defense squad (white jerseys) are based on ff.net figures with some "hybrids" using miggle toys bigmen legs.

http://www.footballfigure.net/

THe figures are made from a quite soft plastic, wich made them really easy to customize, cut, bend with heat, etc...You can easily sculpt, for example, a detailed face with an xacto knife. But you'll have to wash them carefully, and then glue them with superglue gel only (with a fastener spray, if you can).  

You can perhaps also find "5-13 studios" figures on the mfca forum. The guy made some nice old school (1930-1950) models also. I don't know if they are available and what can be the price.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:13:59 AM by sundayhero »

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
Since Lead Forum is THE open minded miniature forum

Where'd you get a silly idea like that? Get away!  ;)

Not really my thing, but quite impressive nevertheless.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:07 AM »
Great, just great...   ::)

Your avatar and your post has my brain whirling on "Superhero American Football" rules.

Look what do did!  I can't get the thought out of my head!

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 05:05:32 AM »
That's what I really need for my Rollerball ideas to come to fruition. Course finding motorcyclists in same scale is probably hard.