Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Lasalle: British vs. French  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Sir Tobi

• Bookworm
    • Tobi's Paint Pot
28mm Lasalle: British vs. French
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »
Hi All,

after a year spent finishing both a British and a French army for the Lasalle-ruleset (a feat of extraordinary consequence for a wargame-butterfly like me) yesterday finally both armies have seen action in a big clash on "the crossroads" (a Lasalle scenario). I have written a battle report which you can read here: http://paintpot.ulmer-strategen.de/

Here are some impressions of the battle:

Have a nice Sunday, best regards,
Tobi

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28mm Lasalle: British vs. French
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
Very nice work

I'm a big fan of LaSalle but it never found favour with most of my gaming buddies

Its not a rulebook that i'd part with and as i have French, Bavarian, Russian and British Napoleonic armies i'm sure it will get dusted off again at some point
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
I must look for reviews of LaSalle.  With Baccus 6 mm and  a decent set of rules I could be tempted to return to Napoleonics (but no Brits!) after decades of only playing with others' figures.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »
I played 2 games of Lassalle at Cold Wars last year and whilst I quite liked the rules but units had a habit of suddenly vaporising because they lost a melee or fire fight. There did not seem to be any progression it was "I am here, I am gone".
The Gamemaster had some beautifully painted figures so it seemed a shame that they disappeared so quickly.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
I played 2 games of Lassalle at Cold Wars last year and whilst I quite liked the rules but units had a habit of suddenly vaporising because they lost a melee or fire fight. There did not seem to be any progression it was "I am here, I am gone".
The Gamemaster had some beautifully painted figures so it seemed a shame that they disappeared so quickly.

Lasalle was an attempt at a 2.5 hour "tourney" wargame that could be played in a shop in an evening, so I am not surprised that units are easily destroyed, in fact I expect it.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
Conquistador, if you're using 6mm, try Fast Play Grande Armee also by Sam Mustafa. My favorite set of rules. Here's some games:
http://baronvonj.blogspot.com/search/label/Napoleonic
as you can see. Each unit can be a vignette in itself.
-J

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
Okay, I understand now if they are short game 'competition' rules but as I said they were beautifully painted figures that deserved to be on the table longer (or a better general than me  :o )

I quite like the Age of Eagle (F&F) varient and believe they have a regimental version

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
Or you use the rules with OOBs rather than the army lists ...

If you want your toys on the soldiers on the table longer [i have to say i've never found units vaporsing in Lasalle. easily ..] then try Black Powder. We regularly play BP on 6x4 tables
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:39:50 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Sir Tobi

• Bookworm
    • Tobi's Paint Pot
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »
Many thanks for your kind comments.

I think Lasalle is a rather elegant ruleset, producing similar results to other rulesets but with much simpler mechanisms. It is not so often the case that units are destroyed in one go, in fact there can occour rather long periods of indecisive fighting. Yet when an infantry unit is charged by heavy cavalry and can't form a square, of course it is a rather different matter...

The game I was describing took about four hours and lasted 16 turns, so it is not that fast and certainly no "beer and brezels".

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 12:13:14 AM »
Okay, I understand now if they are short game 'competition' rules but as I said they were beautifully painted figures that deserved to be on the table longer (or a better general than me  :o )

I quite like the Age of Eagle (F&F) varient and believe they have a regimental version

Never seemed to get the hang of F&F.

Not exactly the opposite of elegance... but...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 08:41:59 AM »
Many thanks for your kind comments.

I think Lasalle is a rather elegant ruleset, producing similar results to other rulesets but with much simpler mechanisms. It is not so often the case that units are destroyed in one go, in fact there can occour rather long periods of indecisive fighting. Yet when an infantry unit is charged by heavy cavalry and can't form a square, of course it is a rather different matter...

The game I was describing took about four hours and lasted 16 turns, so it is not that fast and certainly no "beer and brezels".

I agree with all you say here Sir Tobi

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
Nice to see Lasalle getting a mention on here. I use it at my local club for game with a brigade a side supported by guns and cavalry. With an umpire driving things along we manage to rattle through a game in a evening as the mechanisms are straightforward. I agree it's not a fast play set, but they work very well.

I have Austrians and French for the early campaigns in Italy and Prussians and British for 1812-1815. Later French are coming too!

Great looking game with lovely figures. Nice roads too - where did you get those from?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
Using the army lists, i find that LaSalle works better with two supports. Some of the armies, with cavalry in the core lists, and then a decent cavalry support was just too good TBH.

Its probably the reason that interest in the game waned in our group. "Oh good, the Austrian Avante Guard, again ..." That and the British lists appear to be handicapped.

Don't get me wrong. Its my favourite Nap ruleset; i just can't get my group interested again
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:42:43 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »
Lovely looking game  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »
Some great looking armies you have there and a very enjoyable AAR and blog as well.