Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Lasalle: British vs. French  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: 28mm Lasalle: British vs. French
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Using the army lists, i find that LaSalle works better with two supports. Some of the armies, with cavalry in the core lists, and then a decent cavalry support was just too good TBH.

Its probably the reason that interest in the game waned in our group. "Oh good, the Austrian Avante Guard, again ..." That and the British lists appear to be handicapped.

Don't get me wrong. Its my favourite Nap ruleset; i just can't get my group interested again

I think that you are correct when you say the cavalry are too strong as in the second game I played the French had 2 Light Cavalry units, the British none. The cavalry seemed to be able to bounce off and then charge again - possibly down to them gaining the initiative most turns?
Tweak the lists using some historical events as your basis.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
Or use all infantry/artillery

Reserve Cavalry at a push ..
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Malatesta

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »
As a playtester of LaSalle (and a few other of Sam's creations), I can assure you that the game was not really designed with tournament play in mind, although it appears to have trended in that direction. While a 3 hour game was the focus, units evaporating was not part of the design philosophy (if that's the right word). Rather, the game strongly encourages rallies (disruption recovery) and use of reserve lines. Gamers who game with a typical wargamer mentality of everything forward into the fight will more often than not come to grief.

But then again, LaSalle was about six projects ago.

Good gaming!

John

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »
As someone who enjoyed playing LaSalle ...

I think lines of reserves etc only lended itself to games where OOB were being used or perhaps the Core lists with Infantry Support choices.

We found (and i was as guilty as anyone) that there was always too much cavalry on the table

Offline Malatesta

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »
Sorry, I was not responding to your specific post, but general comments made earlier in the thread.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
Sorry, I was not responding to your specific post, but general comments made earlier in the thread.

Hi, that's fine, i didn't think that was directed at me. Most games we played were using the core lists, rather than the game mechanics & OOB, and that's where i think it fell down a little

The trouble is not many people have huge armies while its managable to paint up say 10 battalions of 15mm infantry and cavalry support, hence using the core lists

James