Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:16:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690986
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dracula series on Sky Living  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Dracula series on Sky Living
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Also, in general it seems quite anachronistic, down to the characters behaving like modern people (especially the women) instead of products of their time.

Yeah, I have to say, it's dipped a bit with each episode and now is firmly in the 'don't bother' category for me. Pity.

As well as the modern language and behaviour of the characters, most of them are just very poor actors. Sadly Harker and Mina are both awful and watching them play a scene (in one of the three sets the makers seem compelled to recycle ad nauseum) is like a subtle form of time-stretching torture.

As for the creaky and arthritic 'stunts' from Lady Jane ... yeesh ... anyone who remembers Anthony Stuart Head trying to 'swish' a sword on Buffy will know what I mean. He was a good character actor but a poor action hero.

No, it's a shame because a couple of the characters and actors I really like (Renfield is cool) but as already said, some of the better ones have already been killed off.

I do like Van Helsing and think it's a nice twist with him and Dracula, but it's not enough to keep me watching.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:24:24 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
I persevered to the end of the second episode, But by then I had come to the conclusion it was fairly shoddy crap, designed to appeal to the girlies who seem to find the idea of a handsome bloodsucking monster sexually exciting.  The writers have made little attempt to give this a realistic end of 19th century feel, the sexual morals of the actors and actresses being just the most obvious of their failures . I always beleive that it is an insult to the original creator when someones creation is taken by some second rate hack turned inside out and  a pile of dog's doo is left in its place. Bram Stoker is insulted by this misuse of his creation.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
The novel Dracula is most often the victim of this.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:47 PM »
Watched the first episode, thought Mmm! Stuck with the second till the first set of adverts and not bothered since.

Poor acting, poor sets, poor costumes and poor storyline - which is disapointing as I was really looking forward to this series!