Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Scale to Rail Road  (Read 4708 times)

Offline DoctorDuckButter

• Bookworm
28mm Scale to Rail Road
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
Hello All,

Quick Question, What scale in Rail Road is close to the 28mm scale?

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
Re: 28mm Scale to Rail Road
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
Hello All,

Quick Question, What scale in Rail Road is close to the 28mm scale?

I've got some O scale buildings that come really close.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
S or US O scale. US O scale is 1/48, european O scale is usually 1/43 and too big :(
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
Hehe, related topics to the rescue.  :)

28mm - What scale?
Rail Modelling scale compatible with 28mm?

Couldn't we make this a sticky? I don't know how many times the issue crops up in a year.

And to complicate things further,
- Lead miniatures are not scale models (that is, even internally consistent over body parts and items)
- Railway gauges are not scales.

Anyway, there is S gauge, which converts to 1/64 by one logic. Good luck finding any, though. Company B makes 1/56 stuff which doesn't convert exactly to any gauge code. American O gauge (1/48) may be good enough, especially if your minis are "heroic" (that is, closer to something called 30mm or just otherwise exaggerated).

But ultimately, use what fits. That's the best you can do when the scales are not scientifically accurate in either world.

Offline DoctorDuckButter

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
Mostly just wanting to run Great Rail Wars with some actual rails. I just wanted some straight track and maybe a car or two for terrain. I am mostly using Black Scorpion Mini's some they run a bit big. O scale seems like it could work.

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »

- Lead miniatures are not scale models (that is, even internally consistent over body parts and items)

No one cares. People want to know the best fit for their (granted roughly) 1/56 figures.

Company B makes 1/56 stuff which doesn't convert exactly to any gauge code.

Yes, but they do sell a lot of their product. What do they expect people who buy their product to run their product on? Does anyone here have any experience using Company B product?
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
What do they expect people who buy their product to run their product on?

S, but adjustable. No personal experience, though.

Also see here, here and various other places...

Offline BAMeyer

• Assistant
    • Company B
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »
No one cares. People want to know the best fit for their (granted roughly) 1/56 figures.

Yes, but they do sell a lot of their product. What do they expect people who buy their product to run their product on? Does anyone here have any experience using Company B product?

There are several maufacturers of S gauage track.  One we often use is American Models.  http://www.americanmodels.com/misc/track.html    They make S gauge track for fine scale modelers, that means it's not the big thick stuff you used as a kid under the Christmas tree.  Ties are wood grained and look quite nice.  a 3 foot flexible section is $11, a 1 Foot straight section is about $4 and there are 3 curves of different radius in the $4-$5 range.  That means a 10 foot run of rail is around $40, the cost of a large vehicle. The reason we went with this option is that it would be impossible to master and cast track at anywhere near these prices.

Why S Gauge?  Railway gauges arround the world vary a great deal, from very wide in Russia to the narrow gauge of western US.   Full size structures can quickly overwhelm the gaming table and so it is with trains.  An RCW armored train could easily stretch 7-8 feet on your table.  So like buildings we built the train to look good and feel right with figures.  Having done that we looked at track.  O gauge is just plain too wide and HO too narrow except if you're running ON3O Western Narrow gauge.  S sits in the middle and most importantly looks and feels right.

regards
Bruce

Company B