Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691123
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's SFB fighter game project  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Michka's SFB fighter game project
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
I started running a fighter pilot role-playing game based in the Star Fleet Battles universe about a month ago. I've had these little SFB fighter figures for a while now and I've wanted to use them somehow. After some trial and error I created a game that my miniatures-hating friends would like, yet I could still play with my toys. So far I've painted up fighters for the Federation and the Klingons, along with shuttlecraft and a horribly underwhelming carrier for them to launch from. I've run the game twice and much fun was had by all. Here are some of the craft...

Oh, and I also painted up some Drones. I mean, what is a game of SFB without lots of Drones?

Enjoy.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Michka's SFB fighter game project
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
"Oh, and I also painted up some Drones. I mean, what is a game of SFB without lots of Drones?"

Less tedious?  lol

Sorry, the thought of tracking mass drone strikes can be daunting. I'm curious about any particulars you'd like to share concerning your rules.

Your 'toys' would certainly make me want to play. Lovely! Even the tin can carrier... ;->=

Doug

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
Nice set of toys. I wanna play now! lol
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
I'm obsessed with Savage Worlds, so I found a way to shoe-horn a fighter game with a Star Fleet Battles feel into a game with the stated purpose of being Fast, Furious Fun. Players of either game might think me mad, but I think it works. I'll try to describe it here, but I'm not sure if this will translate.

Basically the game uses most of the rules from Savage Worlds, (card initiative, Toughness and Wounds, different die types for different skill levels) but it's played on a hex map with miniatures moving around shooting phasers and drones at each other. Unlike Savage Worlds fighters and Starships have lots of Wounds. I've found a way of converting the stats for fighters and starships that I think works. X number of internal boxes on an SSD equals X number of wounds. Y number of shield boxes equals Y number of shield wounds. Toughness is based on either the number of hull boxes on a fighter, or on the size class of a starship. If the damage roll exceeds the Toughness score by three it scores a Wound. For Starships the Shields have to be crunched through before you get to the chewy center where all the critical systems can be damaged. If a fighter or a ship takes a wound you roll on the critical damage chart to see how the ship is effected. Unlike phasers, Drones move four hexes when they're launched. If they don't reach their target that turn they stay on the board till that do, or they run out of fuel. After the first turn players get to draw an initiative card for their batch of drones, which move on their own initiative. That way you might have time to deal with them, or you might not.

I'm sure this sounds tedious but it plays quite quickly. I hope I haven't bored everyone with this long and rambling post.     

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
Looks good, and very nicely painted minis. Starfighter combat has always interested me, as I have a few of the old silent death minis, but rules are difficult, especially as I'm not found of too much paper work (which unfortunately Silent Death has lots of)
Duncan

Offline lasgunpacker

• Assistant
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
Very nice work, where are the shuttles from?

And that carrier is great for some border skirmish action, although a through deck carrier would be fun too...

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »
Thanks, lasgunpacker, for the threadnomancy!

I didn't see the reply to my question about rules til now.

@Michka Does seem probably more complex in explanation than play. I THINK I get it, though I've no experience with Savage Worlds. I'll play around with the description for awhile.

By the way, I'm a Full Thrust fanboy, so may look at trying to adapt to same. I tend to not do a lot of hex space ships.

Thanks so much!

Doug

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »

@Michka Does seem probably more complex in explanation than play. I THINK I get it, though I've no experience with Savage Worlds. I'll play around with the description for awhile.

By the way, I'm a Full Thrust fanboy, so may look at trying to adapt to same. I tend to not do a lot of hex space ships.

Thanks so much!

Doug

While I've never played Full Thrust before it looks like a hoot and a half. Very cool system that will probably work better then the one I've come up with. The main advantage to what I've got is my players already know how to play it. Getting some players to change is like pulling teeth, and these guys are in that group. As for using Savage Worlds, well it's my go-to system for almost everything right now. 

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:45:21 PM »
Even if this is a thread back from the dead, those are fine lookin' minis.