Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:10:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's Star Trek project (Painted first 28mm sculpt 5/5/15)  (Read 12611 times)

Offline trynda1701

• Assistant
Re: Michka's Star Trek project
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 01:21:46 AM »
Yes, I've seen discussions about the costuming for the various TOS fan films, such as "Phase 2" and "Farragut" mention how the colour of 'Command Gold' is something of a misnomer!

And the Klingon color scheme works really well. Considering the metallic look to the original Klingon custumes, I think you came up with a brillaint look for them. Thanks for those color details. By the way, no Science/Medical types painted up?

Mark
All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by...

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 05:59:02 AM »
And don't forget the expendable crew members...aka the redshirts! :D
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 06:02:50 AM »
This may sound weird, but I really like the painting on the bases there.  (I can only echo what others have said vis-a-vis the figures, but wanted to point out those bases in particular.)  That's a different style than I'm used to, and it looks really sharp.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 08:19:18 AM »
By the way, no Science/Medical types painted up?

Oh yeah. I got some Science section in the wings. I just needed to make up some more bases before I could do the re-basing on them. I'm getting through my older Trek stuff, changing the bases to these snazzy new bases. That's also what I've been doing with much of my Judge Dredd stuff.

This may sound weird, but I really like the painting on the bases there.  (I can only echo what others have said vis-a-vis the figures, but wanted to point out those bases in particular.)  That's a different style than I'm used to, and it looks really sharp.

The dark grey bases are a variation of the street hex bases I'm using now. I get the effect by lining up a bunch of bases on a magnet sheet, (I put washers inside the slotta bases) and dragging the different tones of greys and whites across the lot of them. The paints as watered down to create a wet-brush look. Lots of trial and error before they look good, so I try to paint them in batches of ten to fifteen at a time.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 02:24:12 AM »
Looking great!

I have 2 sets of the original Matakishi ST models, and can´t put them together.

Can you give me some advice of how did you achieve that?

What glue did you use?

Any other tip worth knowing?

Thanks a lot.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
I love that Matakishi made Star Trek minis, but I swear he used plutonium for the metal. I have two or three sets of those minis and have only built five crewmen. I've used the accessories for some conversions though, so it's worked out anyway.

I had to pin the arms and heads into place to keep them on. I'd drill the holes for both pieces, then glue the pin in only one side and test fit to see if the look was right. Then I'd trim down the arms or the sides till I got something that I was happy with. For the heads I did something similar, but I ended up trimming more off the neck part of the head instead of the neck part of the body. The real trick is getting the head to sit right on the body. I had a couple crewmen that must have some ostrich blood in them.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 12:42:38 AM »
I had a couple crewmen that must have some ostrich blood in them.

:D  ;D

Yup. That's one of the problems I've too.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about pining the arms just as old school gamers did wheels, i.e. PERFORATING the whole wheel and pinning it to the shaft, then trimming and sanding the protuding wire.

Have to try and see how it goes...

Thanks and best wishes.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: Michka's Star Trek project (update including Heritage aliens)
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
Do you still call it an update when the thread is almost a year old? Anyway, I have a whole bunch of Star Trek goodies I finally got around to painting and/or re-basing.

First off, we have some more Klingons. These are mostly Mega Miniatures bridge crew with one lone Victory Force mini. The guy in the black tunic is supposed to be a political officer. Since the old series Klingons were based more along the lines of Soviets, I figured they needed a political officer.

Next come three Heritage Models Skorr. These guys were seen in the animated series twice. Not the greatest figures around, but where else are you going to find Skorr? (Actually the real question is, why would anyone want to?)

Here are the Heritage Kzinti. There are only two poses to choose from, but that's better then the one pose Skorr.

I supplemented my Kzinti forces with some Aslan figures from Traveller. I can't remember who makes them right now though.

I'm afraid the Aslan don't really match the look of the Heritage though. What do you think?

Next are some Heritage Talosians.

Finally we have some odd "story device" markers. These are floating orbs.  

The orbs could be personifications of energy beings, or ancient robot sentries, or any number of other encounters you would typically find in a classic episode of Star Trek. Here we have the landing party conversing with the command orb (that's the orange one) while the sentry orbs look on.

I still have more Star Fleet to post, once I've painted up some more bases. Maybe this time it'll take less then a year.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:16:44 PM by Michka »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
Really cool !

I've got a similar project, making some solitaire gaming of both spaceships and then ground exploration...

really nice figures !

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
After deciding not to gather all my current Science Fiction projects into one thread, I needed a place to put my progress reports on my Star Trek miniatures. As it turns out I already had this thread. So here we go...

I'll start with a couple pictures from my sculpting project I started last month. This is the first time I've tried to sculpt a 28mm miniature.

The figure got better after some depth was added.

It's not a great figure, but it is a great learning experience. Here is the finished figure, all painted up.

The next time I sculpt I'll work on making the hands and head smaller. Also, those eyebrows look like a mentat right out of the Dune movie.

Here is a shot of the sculpt next to the older miniatures I've done.

I seem to have a scale issue. My problem is I like this larger scale, so I may have to do all my own sculpting from now on.

Let me know what you think. I need some honest criticism on this, as I do want to improve my skills.

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
Re: Michka's Star Trek project (Painted first 28mm sculpt 5/5/15)
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 01:54:31 AM »
Cool stuff im doing some that i want to use with 7tv trek!!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 04:09:34 AM »
Thank you marcusluis. Are you using converted minis, or making your own? I bet 7TV is a great fit for the Star Trek feel. I'm always interested in seeing other people working on Trek projects.

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 10:48:11 PM »
no i bought some from mataski or what ever he is called !! And hasslefree has just relesed some not trek girls!!

Offline Bobby

• Lurker
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
They look so cool woiuld love to do some but can't find any klingons

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »
They look so cool woiuld love to do some but can't find any klingons

There's some movie-era ones here: LINK