Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690816
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FIW (going Old-School)  (Read 7237 times)

Offline charla51

• Librarian
Re: FIW (going Old-School)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
@ Lowtardog,

Funnily enough, I've got Bugles, Boots etc but could never get away with it. You don't have the address of that "yankee plains wars forum" that has its variant handy, do you?

Many thanks

Online Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 04:45:30 AM »
Perhaps some minor tweaks; the majority of Regulars must be formed, Settlers cannot form square. Just the obvious stuff.
Any thoughts gentlemen?

It's your game. If you enjoy TSATF for your FIW gaming than who are we to tell you differently? It looks like you have a good handle on how to "tweak" your lists already.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
It's your game. If you enjoy TSATF for your FIW gaming than who are we to tell you differently? It looks like you have a good handle on how to "tweak" your lists already.

Oh, i wasn't seeking permission  ;)

Just looking to steal ideas. Someone somewhere will have done the same. And the spadework  :D
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline GordonKhartoum

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:25 AM »
What's wrong H.M.S. more than one set of rules too much to cope with?

For variants of TS&TF its worth checking the yahoo group.

The Sword in the Forest is what you are after- its in the "files" section old boy.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48:35 AM »
What's wrong H.M.S. more than one set of rules too much to cope with?

For variants of TS&TF its worth checking the yahoo group.

The Sword in the Forest is what you are after- its in the "files" section old boy.

Yes yes GoK. Its alright for you youngsters ..

I can never get anywhere with the Yahoo sites. I do have Sword in the Forest; its a little fussy IMO

I've talked myself back into using TVG

PS. Dried out yet?

Offline GordonKhartoum

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
I've talked myself back into using TVG

Very wise old chap, an excellent set of rules. Have you considered Muskets and Tomahawks? Seems to be gathering a following.

& yes quite dry - thanks ever so for asking.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
Have you considered Muskets and Tomahawks?

Bagger Orf!!  lol

PS For those not in the know, GoK sent me hurtling down the path to Colonial India with a similar comment, when i was happily toddling along with a small African Explorer project  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
@ Lowtardog,

Funnily enough, I've got Bugles, Boots etc but could never get away with it. You don't have the address of that "yankee plains wars forum" that has its variant handy, do you?

Many thanks

Here you go it was Jacksons wargamers, I think it is actually better than the Bugles/boots etc version

http://www.angelfire.com/games3/jacksongamer/tomahawk.htm

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »
Ohh nice link ... now what did i do with all that 7th cavalry i had [Note to Self: no no no, do not  ...]

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »
Ohh nice link ... now what did i do with all that 7th cavalry i had [Note to Self: no no no, do not  ...]

Tell me about it I sold off all my plains indians and 7th cavalry last year, I had been collecting them over the years for this set of rules but couldnt face it after painting shed loads of FIW indians and aztecs, inca and Amazonian indians ;D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
There is also this set, which I had planned on using with a long ago sold collection of the dire Old glory Maori, I have also avoided the Empress ones luckily ;D but they do tempt me

http://home.earthlink.net/~cyberkiwi/soldiers/rules.html

Offline GordonKhartoum

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
Tell me about it I sold off all my plains indians and 7th cavalry last year, I had been collecting them over the years for this set of rules but couldnt face it after painting shed loads of FIW indians and aztecs, inca and Amazonian indians ;D

Nice link - plenty of ideas there.

I have a mound of FIW civilians, animals, wagons etc to be painted up for a campaign day in September. Fingers crossed I'll still be motivated by then.

Offline Florida Tory

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
John the OFM has posted on this issue (actually, almost this issue) on The Miniatures Page several times. He uses TSATF for the American Revolution, preferring it to any of the modified versions. Here are links to a couple of his posts:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=175393

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=240187

(I've tried the same thing in another period, and have a similar period: I think TSATF right out of the box is superior to The Sword in Gaul for the classical period.)

Rick

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »
John the OFM has posted on this issue (actually, almost this issue) on The Miniatures Page several times. He uses TSATF for the American Revolution, preferring it to any of the modified versions. Here are links to a couple of his posts:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=175393

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=240187

(I've tried the same thing in another period, and have a similar period: I think TSATF right out of the box is superior to The Sword in Gaul for the classical period.)

Rick

Thanks Rick

It was John the OFM that i had in mind. I searched his posts to see how he rated each party but couldn't trace the FIW thread that i'd seen before

James

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
And when i stopped looking i found it ...

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=255604