Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dux Britanniarum Publication Date Announced  (Read 10977 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dux Britanniarum Publication Date Announced
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
Hmm wonder if it could expand into a bit of Slaine and celtic myth warbands.

Any reviews on number of figures etc?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
I would think that the basic concept would work for virtually any heroic warfare based setting, anything which has the possibility of individuals carving out their own kingdom at the expense of someone else really. So mythic Ireland, Dark Ages Greece, Bronze Age Britain, whatever your mind can stretch it to.

Figure-wise you're talking a leader, 2 sub-leaders and a champion. 12 'elites', 18 warriors and 4 skirmishers, or 6 'elites', 12 warriors, 18 levy and 4 skirmishers. Forces increase in size gradually over time, so initial outlay is relatively low.   

You can just play the game as a battle, but with all the additional rules, the degree of immersion possible is quite high. I'm really impressed with them, as you might be able to tell.

;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
I would think that the basic concept would work for virtually any heroic warfare based setting, anything which has the possibility of individuals carving out their own kingdom at the expense of someone else really. So mythic Ireland, Dark Ages Greece, Bronze Age Britain, whatever your mind can stretch it to.

Figure-wise you're talking a leader, 2 sub-leaders and a champion. 12 'elites', 18 warriors and 4 skirmishers, or 6 'elites', 12 warriors, 18 levy and 4 skirmishers. Forces increase in size gradually over time, so initial outlay is relatively low.   

You can just play the game as a battle, but with all the additional rules, the degree of immersion possible is quite high. I'm really impressed with them, as you might be able to tell.

;)

Sounds like a winner for my Celtos figures :D many thanks

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »
Got mine in the post today, two words "BLOODY BRILLIANT"

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
Got the hardcopy (+ cards) today and was like  :o ;D :-*  This is a very special set and I foresee it providing years of pleasure (though I am biased: this is one of my favourite historical periods!). 

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
Got the hardcopy (+ cards) today and was like  :o ;D :-*  This is a very special set and I foresee it providing years of pleasure (though I am biased: this is one of my favourite historical periods!). 

I wish I had never sold off my Saxons, Vikings Romano Brits and Pictish armies, gutted what with Saga and now these and Dux Britannium :'(

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »
I wish I had never sold off my Saxons, Vikings Romano Brits and Pictish armies, gutted what with Saga and now these and Dux Britannium :'(

Been there, done that, bought some more... the newer GB Welsh and Saxons weren't out back then though, so it's not like I'd bought every figure before.

::) 

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »
My GB Arthurians and Musketeer Saxons are the mainstays of my collection. They have weathered many a "gosh, I need to pay for 'x'" storm, and I'm glad I held out!
The amazing thing is the fact that they are nearly all painted! My prep for my first game of Dux Brit will consist of picking the minis out of the ranks. A very nice change of pace there... ::)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 01:11:21 AM »

A punishable offence!
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »
For long I thought that IABSM couldn't be bettered. That ruleset really opened up a whole new world to me.
I stand corrected now. An yes, I'm biased as well as this has been my favourite era for nearly 30 years, even when Late Romans and Arthurians simply weren't available.
I've read the pdf all day and felt happier than I've been for long, long time even with a 39 degree fever and shaky legs. One of these days the hardcopy will arrive together with the cards Mine and 3 other clubmembers ( although at least another two bough them as well) and then we're set for years ogf gaming.
Don't mind the many typo's It's the medication kicking in at 3.50 AM lol
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 02:51:08 AM »
Then get well soon and start enjoying!  lol

Hard Copy will take some time to get to Oz so I am soooo jealous of those who have it already.  ;D

For long I thought that IABSM couldn't be bettered. That ruleset really opened up a whole new world to me.
I stand corrected now. An yes, I'm biased as well as this has been my favourite era for nearly 30 years, even when Late Romans and Arthurians simply weren't available.
I've read the pdf all day and felt happier than I've been for long, long time even with a 39 degree fever and shaky legs. One of these days the hardcopy will arrive together with the cards Mine and 3 other clubmembers ( although at least another two bough them as well) and then we're set for years ogf gaming.
Don't mind the many typo's It's the medication kicking in at 3.50 AM lol

Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 06:25:32 AM »
Hi lads

The bit I hate about producing rules is the time from when I approve the printer's proofs to when people get the rules.  I spend weeks absolutely wracked by self-doubt, could I have done anything better and all that stuff.  So many thanks to everyone who has said they like the visual aspect of them at least.  I hope the tabletop rules are simple enough to allow fast paced games, but that the card system and the contrast between the Saxons and the British gives lots to keep you interested. 

We actually continued our campaign last night at the cluub with two really fast and frantic games.  I hope you all have as much fun with them as we have. 

Rich

PS  Never sell your figures, you know what will happen. 
PPS  Willie, your stuff went yesterday morning.  I hope you feel better soon!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 07:31:45 AM »
Ok rolled my Saxons up and  Leader and nobles.
So the first will be Modig the just, at the age of 29, he is known far and wide for being Tall and strong with the constitution of a Bull! He was born to greatness in the Hall of King Osric! (Made up name) So the blood of Gods and kings flows in his veins!  So favored by the Woden is he, that he has amassed a raiders hoard and a few ships so as to transport any and all men who are brave and loyal to the land of the week and decadent Romans and Celts of the Isles of briton!

Suporting his actions in battle is Aldhelm the Silent, He is of the same age and build of Modig, they are so alike in apprance that one would be forgive for thinking of them as brothers, but were as Modig is stout as an old oak, Aldhelm a renound athlete who can out jump and out run any man in the Band.

And in the Vain leading with With the vigor and Athletic prows of a young proven warrior of 19. Sighard was one of the first to join Modigs band in Britain and hopes to gain great wealth and glory in the service of Modig.

I think I rolled pretty good honistly  :D
And now I just need to send an order off and get the figs,
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:58:59 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 08:38:23 AM »
Well, I have chosen the models for my initial warband - Actually, I can do two, depending on whether I want to field a Northern/Western British 'tribal' force or a more Southern/Eastern 'Romanised' force (that's what having WAB Romano-Brit AND Welsh armies does for you!) I think initially I'll do a Romanised force for the first campaign...probably set in Linnuis since I live near Durobrivae!!! :)

I have done my movement trays from 'Warbases' for the initial force and I am in the middle of making my 'shock' and 'shieldwall' markers ('shock' markers also from 'Warbases - their casualty markers that I've stuck models onto...)  I hope to post pics by the weekend, as I have my first game on Monday evening.

So it's all good!! :D Just need to read the rules properly now!!!!!!

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »
I recieved mine today. It looks very nice and interesting (I´ll read it during the next days!!). I preordered the bundle set but I didn't arrive on time to get the special edition miniature :(.