Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking of getting into 6mm  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Golan2072

• Scientist
    • The Space Cockroach's Hideout
Thinking of getting into 6mm
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »
I'm thinking of dabbling in 6mm sci-fi (and, possibly, modern) wargaming for various reasons, from the low cost and ease of storage of the minis to the ability to have a significantly larger battlefield on my small table than with 15mm. What would you recommend in this regard? Which rulesets do you recommend, and which miniature manufacturers?
Visit my Ultra-Modern 15mm wargaming fictional-nation blog: Valieskan Civil War!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Thinking of getting into 6mm
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:00:25 AM »
Dirtside II. Although in al fairness, I only played it once or twice several years ago.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »
I was sorely tempted to get into 6mm sci fi after seeing painted Exodus Wars miniatures at Salute a couple of years ago:

http://www.exoduswars.com/Exodus-Wars-6mm/b/1479770031?class=tier1&ie=UTF8
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:11 AM »
A friend of mine has been working on Strike Legion for a few years now. The base rulebook is a generic sci-fi army scale game that uses a pretty extensive unit-creation toolset so you can use any minis from any range with unitcards already made up and free to download for many of the more popular minis lines like Exodus Wars, Dark Realm, Brigade models and a few others. Basic gameplay is an alternating unit activation style game using with attacks being a 2d6 roll vs a target number based on enemy model size+ECM+modifiers for range and cover roll based on the the size of the target (signature) followed by a damage roll based on the weapon type vs defense. One of the defining features is how electronic warfare plays out, EW is a slightly abstracted stat representing sensors, chaff, camoflauge and other things that you assign either offensively to hit more accurately or defensively to raise the target number you're hit on, so units can make themselves very hard to hit but they're probably not gonna be hitting much without some good rolling. Theres a ton of expansion books to extend the system to everything from WW2 to steampunk to modern and fantasy.

It's kind of a "chunky" and in-depth system with lots of modifiers for battlefield conditions and special rules, more like something you'd see coming out of the eighties or nineties than the current crop of super-fast, super-streamlined, super abstracted rulesets that are much more popular the last few years. It caters to a certain kind of wargamer that likes that sort of game, so if you like the older Battletech style gameplay over Heavy Gear or Starfleet Battles/federation Commander over Firestorm Armada, you might want to check it out.

http://legionnairegames.com/

free demo ruleset
http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?products_id=87809
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
Depending on the scale of the game intended you can get larger battles by modifying the rules from Baccus miniatures (Command Horizon or something like that?) for actually multiple battalion sized units as opposed to single figures in skirmish actions.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »
Deleted text.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:42:05 AM by Conquistador »

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
I am using Dark Realm miniatures (human faction) - lovely figures/models but not cheap. I use Future war Commander - great fun and doesn't hurt the brain too much.

John

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
You might want to try Epic Armageddon too.

Even if you don't like 40k, it doesn't matter; just pick the faction/armylist that suits your needs and proxy the figures with whatever you like.

The rules are free on GW's site, and the game is well-supported over on Tactical Command (who are all super chaps BTW, and very friendly!).