Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690761
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: MacLAM 2012  (Read 9734 times)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
MacLAM 2012
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
Well that's day 1 of MacLAM finished. Fantastic games played with some really nice people. There seems to be something peculiar about that date (It seems to be living up to name given it by a certain individual, "a fucking catastrophic date"  lol). Several members had to pull out for various reason last minute, and one of the organizers, AndyM, came down with a bug and couldn't make it! It's  like the Bermuda Triangle of the Gaming World!

We had a variety of games on offer today including; VSF, SCI-FI, American Wars of Independence and Pulp. I'd like to thank Kestrel, Gamer Mac and Bill5549 for running games today (especially poor Bill who came all the way from the East Coast to run a game and had to leave after lunch!).

The following is the only picture that I managed to get of the Aquanauts game. As you can see there is much pondering as to what the next move will be.

Meanwhile over in America, my patriots where fighting the British... sorry being slaughtered by the British.

^The very friendly Bill5549, umpiring our game.

^My Column quickly moves along the road; the butterfly gun in tow.

^My Militia fire *Bang Bang* (They hit nothing but air! So I may as well console myself by making noises)

^The Finger of Doom (See these guys they're pure mad mental so they are)

^My Right Flank

^And it's great disappearing act!

I'm not really a huge fan of 'big' battles but I thoroughly enjoyed this! Really good fun despite my inability to roll the required numbers. I really like the system (Black Powder? By Warlord Games?). Pretty simple good fun. I loved the command rules; really good fun, despite my army running away most of the time!

Ran my pulp/Cthulhu game. It pitted 4 teams against each other; Germans, Mikatonic University, The Brotherhood of the Black Pharaoh and Foo Manchu's dastardly Chinese in a race to find a rare copy of the Necronomicon. The game seen the teams fighting the local militia, skeleton warriors, angry snakes and Archaeologists!

Favourite moments included; Lucas, the German NCO planted dynamite at the gate of the militia compound only to activate an encounter resulting in him being surrounded by beggars, preventing him from moving and being blown apart by his own dynamite. The Incredible, Invincible, Abdul who survived everything that was thrown at him. And finally the Chinese player's inability to roll anything above a four (And blaming it on his orange dice!). As usual I got so caught up in the game that I never took many pictures (in fact only one)

Well here is looking forward for tomorrow; some gaming in space, on a zeppelin and possible fighting werewolves.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: MacLAM 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
Splendid looking games Andy. Sorry to hear about AndyM. Let's hope he's there with the Zeppelin tomorrow!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:27:46 AM »
Lovely looking games.  :-*

I can't wait to see more.

Sorry things aren't going as planned.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
Favourite moments included; Lucas, the German NCO planted dynamite at the gate of the militia compound only to activate an encounter resulting in him being surrounded by beggars, preventing him from moving and being blown apart by his own dynamite.

HAHAHA!!!

That is a brilliant idea for an encounter! Did you place actual beggars there or just tell the bloke that he was done for?

Wish I was gaming and not sweating the trembling terror over modern physics exam sweat today. Brr!

My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 07:13:31 AM »
Jealous :o

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
This is very nice looking. Every country should have a LAM !
, ,

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
HAHAHA!!!

That is a brilliant idea for an encounter! Did you place actual beggars there or just tell the bloke that he was done for?

Wish I was gaming and not sweating the trembling terror over modern physics exam sweat today. Brr!

Nope I was pulled completely randomly from an encounter deck; which only added to the hilarity! Originally the encounter was meant to be nothing more and an annoyance; you lose your next turn, but cannot be targeted because of the mass of bodies etc. However I ruled that the soft fleshy bodies where little protection from an explosion!

Ooooh Modern Physics you say? Best of luck!

Cheers
Andy

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »
It is looking like you guys are having a great time.
All the games look superb and you have pulled it all together really well.
Well done!

All the best for the rest of the weekend and I am sure that, like me, everyone is waiting for the rest of the pictures with great anticipation... ;D

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »
Great stuff chaps. Gutted I'm missing it but looking forward to the next installment.
Fingers crossed AndyM is back on his feet today.
Don't!

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
Thanks for the photos Andy, though just rubs it in that I had to cancel. 
Was looking forward to giving Nemo an outing again.  >:D

Keep the photos coming and best wishes to AndyM for a speedy recovery.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »
Looks cracking - I'll try and make it to the next one!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
Great stuff chaps. Gutted I'm missing it but looking forward to the next installment.
Fingers crossed AndyM is back on his feet today.

Seconded, have a great second day and a speedy recovery to AndyM.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »
MacLAM, eh?

And not a kilt in sight.  >:(

;)

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
Wish I was there...  :'( :'(

Seems you had tones of fun!!

By the way what ruleset did you use for the pulp scenario? Did you use made up rules?

Offline Kestrel

• Librarian
    • CameraDave.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
There seems to be something peculiar about that date (It seems to be living up to name given it by a certain individual, "a fucking catastrophic date"  lol).

I being more diplomatic suggested, "The Scottish LAM"

This is very nice looking. Every country should have a LAM !

Well I for one am waiting for Canada to hold a CLAM - I might not be able to make it, but I just like the name. lol

I'd just like to say a big thank you to Andy and Andy, I mean Colin for running this weekend and making the coach trip up from Bristol so worthwhile.

As to games, what can I say other than I've played the Aquanaughts game before, but I'd forgotten just how impressive it was in person - Plus, thanks to some judicious alliances with a son against his own father and a few lucky dice, I managed to pull off a win for the Barracudas - So to those that said the Barracudas could never win, I say you've not been sneaky enough! lol

I missed some of the excitement at the Egyptian table, but could tell they were having fun, plus it was fun coming over towards the end of the game and by helping run NPCs ruin the Germans' chances of winning the game, when it looked like they might run away with the game.

It was good to see the Zeppelin again today and with the game opening with one of the Americans sneaking up a ladder behind a sentry and throwing him out a nearby window with a cry of 'No ticket', will tell you just how Pulp it was. Whilst we Robbie's Rangers may have stopped the nefarious scheme of dropping a bomb in New York, sadly the zeppelin was crashed into the Empire State Building and the current whereabouts of Robbie and his Rangers is unknown.

I've run games on both days and I've been pleased to see that space dogfighting has proved popular. On Saturday I ran a couple of one on one games, but today it was Cylons vs Humans - Whilst the humans started well and dropped one raider at the end of the hour we had the dramatic finish of two vipers being destroyed and the third firmly in the sight of all three Cylon raiders.

I also ran a 4+ and Fudges game, which proved a little more competitive and whilst technically all sides could win it ended with a convincing win for one of the marquis forces who not only retrieved numerous resources, also found a crate marked 'TANKS' which actually had the Imperial Empire's secret doomsday weapon concealed within it.

Such a convincing victory not only allowed him to unite the planet behind him (and beating his main opponent another marquis leader in a race for resources), but allowed his planet to force the Empire and Republic to fight their galactic war elsewhere.

All in all I'd have to say I've had a great time and I'm looking forward to seeing what pulpy goodness tomorrow brings - If I had one complaint though it would be that I have done a lot less drinking than I would have expected hanging about with Glaswegians. lol 

Mein Doodlesack ist mangelhaft