Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:17:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690922
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Why Carnevale is doomed to failure  (Read 12203 times)

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Re: Why Carnevale is doomed to failure
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
Beautiful, simply beautiful

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
Although i am an afficinado of going 3D, i do feel that ones own fantasy and imagination can go a long way.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »
Commander Vyper who did that board you showed?

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »
$175 for that board. Does that include shipping?

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
Commander Vyper who did that board you showed?

Look here and follow the links. It's a bit convoluted to navigate but not impossible. :)

An interesting option, for sure...

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
Having just returned from my first trip to Venice (got a flag...!), I'd say the long, dark extremely narrow alleyways would give an excellent Venetian flavour and they shouldn't be too difficult to create.

Doug

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 01:06:24 AM »
One has to distinguish between a game board and a display board. Although intricate multi-levelled boards make for lovely photographs, they don't tend to have a lot of gaming longevity. Furthermore, most folks who really go the distance with certain Adventure genres, tend to hone in on their favourite setting and patiently build and collect terrain over the years. The trick for any of these games is dedication as a hobbyist. Building a matching set of useable Venetian terrain is likely no more difficult than building a beautiful Old West town, a modern downtown core, or even (in my case) a Victorian Eastern European collection. In my experience, I found that the trick to creating a tailored terrain set with lots of options was to focus and stop dabbling in all of the other ideas.

All that said, I got your tone in the beginning and understood that you were going for exaggerated emphasis and not just being mean. If I was to build a Venetian terrain set the real challenge would be figuring out how to make interchangeable pieces so that the game wouldn't get stale.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »
I think the rules for Carnevale look great, and I really love their fishman models.  I plan on picking up the rule book and a few starters just to give it a try and support the company.  The prices for their character models are pretty steep though.

The setting is also SO unique, and I really don't think it'd be that tough to do something flavourful on the cheap in terms of terrain.  I could build a decent board from the WWG terraclips sets that I have that I think would be plenty of fun to play on.  Sure it wouldn't be 'accurate', but I just want something thematic and fun to play a game on.  I'm not worried about actually re-creating Venice just so I can roll some dice.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:06 PM »
I think the rules for Carnevale look great, and I really love their fishman models.  I plan on picking up the rule book and a few starters just to give it a try and support the company.  The prices for their character models are pretty steep though.

The setting is also SO unique, and I really don't think it'd be that tough to do something flavourful on the cheap in terms of terrain.  I could build a decent board from the WWG terraclips sets that I have that I think would be plenty of fun to play on.  Sure it wouldn't be 'accurate', but I just want something thematic and fun to play a game on.  I'm not worried about actually re-creating Venice just so I can roll some dice.

I was thinking about this too. Putting Terraclips over a board painted to represent dirty water might work out pretty well...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 12:40:01 AM »
I have the three Malifaux sets and a couple boxes of  clips.  I was going to use them to do some dungeon crawl gaming, but decided against it.  If anyone wants them for cheap, let me know.  I assembled 1/3 of the stuff one evening to get to grips with the system.  It's not bad.  I was about to put them up on ebay, but this may be easier.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »
I have the three Malifaux sets and a couple boxes of  clips.  I was going to use them to do some dungeon crawl gaming, but decided against it.  If anyone wants them for cheap, let me know.  I assembled 1/3 of the stuff one evening to get to grips with the system.  It's not bad.  I was about to put them up on ebay, but this may be easier.

Hi Elbows. You might want to post your Malifaux items for sale in the bazar of Obscurities. You are more likely to find a buyer there.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:56 AM »
Elbows, where are you? A friend of mine was thinking of buying it, so this may be well timed :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »
I will also point you in the direction of Faberīs fantastic Mordheim table, wich can be found http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=28462.0, a project that easily could be used for a Carnevale setting, not to mention that the cost for his work so far, in money that is, must be rather low, considering the fact that its mainly XPS and perhaps some Depron, all carved, cut and scribbled.

thanks for quoting my project, even if unfinished, Galland. It's a honour for me  :)
Actually the cost of our table is really low...let's say 50€ so far?
BUT:
1) the price will increase for buldings
2) the price will increase (a big increase!) for water effect.
4) our project is still unfinished because crafting a decent Venezia-looking city is a long job

Here's my 2 cents: I like Carnevale's minis and setting, but I have to agree that it's harder than in other games to obtain a good board :)

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
 I'm sure with a little creativity / independence of mind Carnevale could be played in Innsmouth or along the banks of the Miskatonic river by the time of Joseph Curwen.

Then, browsing the Pikes, Muskets and Flouncy Shirts board here you'll find a *lot* of inspirational photos of 'pirates' harbors and Mordhem-like old towns.
And there are many, many 'stimulating' blogs on the web.

With such deterring 'official terrain' Vesper-on Games should have discussed and actually encouraged on their forum possible proxy minis  to booster the 'taking off' of their game.
(Btw did someone mentioned the Freebooter Assassins or were they too an obvious suggestion?)

They were probably following the (so successful financially) GW example ("We are a complete hobby, don't give a cent to our competitors!"), but for a small company trying to launch a new and very unconventional game it's a high-risk gambit.

Coming from (quasi) historical gaming, where there is neither 'official' rules nor 'official' range of figurines to replay Kadesh or Agincourt, I feel that a GW fanboy will know the Illumination :o when (despite the efforts of the firm to enslave him through the 'official circuit' ) he matures and realizes  o_o he can play in the (rich and intriguing) 40K universe with Stargrunt2 rules and a mixture of 15mm minis.
The same of course with all games with 'official' miniatures, be it Malifaux, Mansions of Madness and for the 18th C. A Touch of Evil. Such games often offer good (setting, scenario, rules..) ideas and figurines, but *nothing* restricts you to either. Every one of us can build his

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
I do have to warn you... 
That table is from Mannorhouse.
While they do say it CAN be used for 28mm, it really is made for their 40mm figs.
I bought alot of this terrain sight unseen, and found it to be on the 'almost too large' side.  Doors are too big, windows are too high, etc...
Granted, beautiful, but big...
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club