Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:58:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VUK beta test: game 2  (Read 1097 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
VUK beta test: game 2
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:07 PM »
Excerpt from my latest blog post at http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca

...on Thursday evening was a quick, as in almost light-speed, game of Uncle Mike's WIP Kulten rules. We played his 60 point ghoul cult against my 23 point Arcanists. Due to the massive point differential I gained some sorely needed resource points to help bolster my ranks.  I was able to add four new cultists to the sad and lonely three that had survived from the last game.  I also gained two favour points, and a dirty trick.

I used the dirty trick to alert the authorities and one of my favour points to modify Mike's roll from a 1 to a 6.  This meant that he could only field three models total, so he chose a ghoul, a ghoul king and a maniac.  I can't remember what the rule was, but the ghoul king had to sit out for the first three turns.  When the game started I moved my guns up first hoping to have a wall of firepower to take down anything that came into range.

The ghoul moved up, but stayed just out of range of my weapons.  I responded by solidifying my firing line.  Mike used an interesting tactic of moving his maniac to base his hiding ghoul, causing the maniac to frenzy into my front line.  Luckily only one of the three cultists I had there lost their cool and ran.  On my third turn I opened fire with the best weapon available and rolled a successful critical hit on the maniac, splattering his remains seven ways from Sunday.  With Mike's forces now down to half, he had to roll resolve for his ghoul...failure struck and the ghoul fled, leaving me with a lucky victory.

I didn't have a chance to do much more than flip through the revised rules, but I thought the balance was fine.  Without some serious luck and all the bonuses my cult had for being so outmatched I'd have had no chance. We were hoping to get in a second game, but I had a tournament of my own to run and we weren't able to play again.

Thanks to Uncle Mike for sitting down to play a game with me.  It was good fun, and I do wish we'd had time to play another, or even just a regular game of Strange Aeons!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca