Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:08:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord games FIW rumours  (Read 9245 times)

Offline Incomp

• Bookworm
Warlord games FIW rumours
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »
Some exciting news!

While lurking the Warlord games forum I came across a thread in which Paul (one of the heads of Warlord) pretty much confirmed there will be three boxes of metal miniatures comming up for the French and Indian war.He also stated that they will reveal more information about the comming miniatures soon.

http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5225

What do you think about Warlord games going into the FIW? and what do you expect of the miniatures?

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: Warlord games FIW rumours
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
Cool idea if they do something new, which they undoubtedly won't. It will be one box of Indians, one box of French Marines, and one box of Rangers. I suppose if the sculpts are done by Paul Hicks, I might still be interested, or if they do something really different in terms of the poses. Eventually, if they branch out into some of the stuff that is less covered, this news might have potential.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
Shame they will be metal.  Multi-pose, multi-part plastics would have been spectacular!  They will have stiff competition from Conquest and Galloping Major who already do great lines.  Unless Warlord plans on a very complete line of figs, I'd say "don't bother."
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
IŽd be interested if they would make them in cheap plastic  ;D

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:45:59 AM »
I'd rather see Highlanders, Highlander Grenadiers, Grenadiers, more Provincials, Light Coys. etc. I think CFM, British and French regulars are pretty well covered. Especially as Northstar has the "official" M&T box sets coming out now/soon, which are not surprisingly Indians, French and British regulars.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
Who covers FIW regulars (as opposed to AWI) as I was told it is not correct to use AWI ones (obviously I suppose). Warlord also have up their plastic AWI greens.
Rich J

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
You're pretty safe using any Seven Years War figures for regular French or British infantry, given that the F&IW was essentially the 7YW playing out between Britain and France in their North American colonies. As indeed it did in India, with Clive at Plassey etc.

So we're talking 1750s regular infantry, whereas the AWI was 25 years later. Not that any of it really matters too much - unless one is a dyed in the wool button counter  :)

I use Front Rank 7YW figures for my British regulars plus government highlanders from their 1745 range - although i built my F&IW collection several years ago. If I were doing it now, I think I'd wait for Lance's Galloping Major regulars to come along.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
Would wait for Lance's (as they make my collection so far along with the new M&T Northstar ones) but they seem a way off yet. I'm not a button counter at all but will be demoing with the figures and got a few 'they had short tail jacket' comments.

That said what 7YW figures fit in best with Galloping Major in your opinion please?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »
Well the Front Rank figures are a close fit to GM size-wise. But Front Rank's mid C18th ranges are a bit old style and wooden compared to the output of many modern manufacturers. You can see mine in my LAF F&IW gallery here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=77;u=577

As you can see from my pictures, I very much like the Redoubt Woodland Indians and have about 80 of them. Unfortunately they changed sculptors mid-range though, and the European regulars and militias are a totally different style, and pretty ugly / lumpy (although many of their colonists were done by the original sculptor, and are rather nice).

I think I'd take a look at Foundry. I haven't seen the Foundry 7YW range in the flesh, but it is extensive, and to my eye there are some rather nice character figures in there - if you can overlook the fact that a lot of them seem to have big Desperate Dan style chins! But not sure how well they'd fit with Galloping Major in terms of size.

I believe Conquest (http://conquestminiatures.com/) have or are about to finally release some regulars too. The Conquest indians are lovely, but definitely at the petite / 'true' 28mm end of the scale. At least 10% smaller / slighter than Lance's figures.

Haven't seen the new North Star figures in the flesh either, but if they're by Mark Sims, a lot of his figures tend to be quite diminutive and in the munchkin style. But given that they're only just starting in on this range with the indians, I imagine the regulars will be a way off yet.

And now Warlord are jumping on the bandwagon too? Such, clearly, is the galvanising effect of a new ruleset ;)

I've been playing F&IW for 10 years... Who'd have thought it would one day become the 'latest craze'... :)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »
Nick told me the other day his Range is closer to the Redoubt scale than Crusader or Conquest.

I like the Redoubt figures as they have firing line which many in SYW ranges don't have and i would prefer they poses for Skirmish. They are also alot cheaper than Foundry.

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1038655737
There you go fellas...ready for order without boxes for the impatient ones or wait a bit for the boxed version soon to follow
Good moaning

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »
Those do look extremely nice figures from one of my favourite sculptors  :)
Sadly, i've already got more than enough indians...

Slightly peculiar though? That North Star should release their own range of woodland indians at the same time as a new range of woodland indians under the Crusader banner, for which North Star is also the distributor and agent...  :?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:45:23 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
Indeed...Nick ,what are you up to you sly old dog!!! ;)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »
There's really just a glut of the same types of figures in this genre. It's clear that the manufacturers are taking advantage of the new rules to bring new customers on board who don't have any minis yet, which is fine. They also want to go with the stuff that is sexy and has a better chance of selling, which means the aforementioned Indians and irregulars. Good plastics would definitely be worth buying, but I doubt anyone is willing to invest that kind of money in plastic molds for FIW!

This of course leads us old FIW vets either disgruntled or buying new, redundant figures. I would only do this if the figures were "better" or "new" somehow, meaning irresistible sculpts or new poses. I have yet to see any figures better than the Conquest stuff, especially the Indians--although I know there are those here who disagree with me.

The Front Rank stuff is indeed very old school without much variety. It's hard to imagine buying it given how far sculpting has come and if you really want your figs to be top quality. Redoubt has the same problem in my opinion, although I know some people love the style. Also, with all the people making new FIW figs, do we really have to compromise and use SYW figures even if the only thing missing is the gaiters? Eventually the "right" figures will come out, and by the time they do only the people who have an ongoing, sustained interest in FIW will be left anyway, whereas all the people with only a passing fancy will have their Indians and Rangers!

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
Conquest miniatures has got regulars for a while, and now they are releasing the grenadiers. I think it is the brand that has more "fillings" for the period.