Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wars of the Roses - Yorkists  (Read 8087 times)

Offline 15th Panzer

• Assistant
Re: Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
I wouldn't re-paint them, the colours are confirmed and valid... it just seems downright odd to have opposing forces apparently wearing the same colours.  

I think I need to get a hold of your reading list. Great insight on the period. Can you recommend any good reads? Regarding liveries, I have stuck mainly to using the standard colours as a guide. So, although Norfolk is widely given as red or blue, I have given him half of each. I know this is a fairly inaccurate method but it gives the retinues a certain cohesion of colour.

Cyber, great start on the maa. How are you splitting up the box. 2:1 in favour of archers? Or are you going staff weapon heavy?

Cheers

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Re: Wars of the Roses - Yorkists
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »
Like the dulled metal, good start to a mighty yorkist army   ;D

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »
look great well done!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
I like the MAA... the photo's not showing up too well for me, but the little I can see seems to be well done.  :)

@15th Panzer - I'll do a post at some future point, but I'm wary of jacking Cyber's thread any further. Reading lists are difficult though, as you have to tailor them to use, purpose and aim. Leave it with me, but might be a few weeks.  :?

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 05:46:30 AM »
Thanks!

@15th Panzer: 18 minis are assembled as archers, 18 as billmen and 4 as commanders. I know it isn't historically accurate, because the majority of the men at arms were archers, but I think I prefer billmen to archers, so I just assembled the maximum amount of billmen  ;).

@Arlequín: Yeah, the photo is bad. But I don't really mind the conversation about livery colours, it's actually really interesting  :D.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
I like the billman, nice work on the armour.  8)

If I was being really critical I might suggest changing the colour of his hose, as he kind of looks like he's not wearing any pants at the moment... Could just be the contrast in the photo though, if he looks ok in hand then ignore me.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
I like the billman, nice work on the armour.  8)

If I was being really critical I might suggest changing the colour of his hose, as he kind of looks like he's not wearing any pants at the moment... Could just be the contrast in the photo though, if he looks ok in hand then ignore me.

Thanks. I think it's the contrast, because in real life his trousers are darker than his skin.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »
Now, I won't glue the men at arms to the large bases supplied with the box, so last week I ordered a bag of 40 individual bases. It hasn't arrived yet, so my men at arms don't have bases yet.  :(
I did paint a commander in full armour, and I think he turned out quite good.
I also painted a mirliton knight that was lying around. I know the white rose symbol wasn't an official symbol in the WOTR, but it was great fun painting it.
Lastly, I made a photograph of Salisbury at a farm, just for fun.  :D
Please tell me what you think!

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Re: Wars of the Roses - Yorkists (New minis - 25 June)
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »
I like that commander. You've got a really nice contrast in the armour tones; well done.

I also rather like that second chap, and your freehand design on his shield puts mine to shame... but... I strongly doubt you'd see such 14th century kit on a War of the Roses battlefield. Lovely figure, though, so I hope he'll get employed somehow!

Offline 15th Panzer

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
I'm with you on the ratio. I find the staff weapon boys much more fun to paint up. All my units are roughly 50:50 if you combine nobles and bill men v archers. Like the unpolished armour look to the nobleman. Cheers.

Offline Welf VIII.

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
Great start to the project, looking forward to see more of it.

I know the white rose symbol wasn't an official symbol in the WOTR, but it was great fun painting it.

The White Rose was an official symbol of the Yorkist house during and before that conflict. White Roses were displayed on the Standards of Richard Duke of York and his three surviving sons. One might assume thzat company standarts existed depicting only the White rose were carried on the battlefields. The Red Rose entered the scene later and seems to have been an unfortunately successful propaganda move introduced by Henry Tudor at Bosworth 1485. The original Lancaster symbol were two Ostrich Feathers.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »
Hi,
A picture of Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York (Perry). It was great fun to paint. Please tell me what you think!
Cheers!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wars of the Roses - Yorkists (26 June - Duke of York)
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
I like him - well done

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
Nice job...

Although and I hate to be picky, but anyone with a coat of arms would display it instead of wearing livery colours. Livery colours, like a jockey's colours now, signify who someone 'worked' for. Even a knight bachelor or a 'gentilman' employed in a lord's household, would wear his own coat of arms, although his men would probably wear his employer's livery. Service between the social elite was usually signified by giving out quite fancy badges or symbols, like the interlocked 'SSS' chains of the Lancastrian kings, or the small enamelled swan broaches given out by the Duke of Buckingham.

Coats of arms were a status symbol and were eagerly sought after and even misappropriated when the opportunity arose. They proclaimed to the world that you were 'somebody'.

Keep up the good work!  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »
Although and I hate to be picky, but anyone with a coat of arms would display it instead of wearing livery colours. Livery colours, like a jockey's colours now, signify who someone 'worked' for. Even a knight bachelor or a 'gentilman' employed in a lord's household, would wear his own coat of arms

Bloody hell Jim, now you tell me  >:(
 ;)

Actually, I think all my serious lords are in armour, not surcoats, so i've probably got away with it...  :D

Well done CyberA. Like him.