Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gertrude Lowthian Bell  (Read 6506 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Not much of a story but that's what it is like to be a Swede: no good at war, pretty good at keeping out of it **).

But didn't you bring Russia to her knees once or twice, or is my renaissance history way off.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
Certainly. But I had a feel the thread kept within the 20th century boundries.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
Certainly. But I had a feel the thread kept within the 20th century boundries.

would like to say I was named after the Swedish Emperor or King? but I wasnt I was apparently named after a Chidlrens TV programme my Mum and Dad watched with 2 kids called Karl and Kirsty..I do think the programme was nordic though :mrgreen: but that is for another future strange thread :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
...going by the moniker "Röhrenpapst" ("radio tube pope...

What a great name for a wartime Pulp superhero/villain: "Torch of Liberty vs. Rohrenpapst....

But I am being disrespectful. Touching story, Chris.

THAT gave me the laugh of the day! Really! :lol: Don´t worry about being disrespectful - he´s been dead for some 18 years, so the worst that can happen is you being haunted by spectral radio receivers. :o

Recently, my parents, my grandmother and myself had a good laugh when we found an online forum with some radio amateurs bitching about my grandfathers book "Elektronische Speisegeräte" (electronic feed devices) and how it was a perfect example of illegible books written in ye olden dayes.

On the Hammarskjöld relation: Whoa! Not wanting to suck up or anything, but that´s nifty - UN secretary generals may not have a decidedly glamourous flair, but that affair had always gripped me. Not too much of literature about it, strangely enough, at least here in Germany. Guess the conspiracy theorist authors weren´t that big in the 1960s.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 09:45:10 PM »
...going by the moniker "Röhrenpapst" ("radio tube pope...

What a great name for a wartime Pulp superhero/villain: "Torch of Liberty vs. Rohrenpapst....

But I am being disrespectful. Touching story, Chris.

THAT gave me the laugh of the day! Really! :lol: Don´t worry about being disrespectful - he´s been dead for some 18 years, so the worst that can happen is you being haunted by spectral radio receivers. :o

Recently, my parents, my grandmother and myself had a good laugh when we found an online forum with some radio amateurs bitching about my grandfathers book "Elektronische Speisegeräte" (electronic feed devices) and how it was a perfect example of illegible books written in ye olden dayes.

On the Hammarskjöld relation: Whoa! Not wanting to suck up or anything, but that´s nifty - UN secretary generals may not have a decidedly glamourous flair, but that affair had always gripped me. Not too much of literature about it, strangely enough, at least here in Germany. Guess the conspiracy theorist authors weren´t that big in the 1960s.

Nothing to suck up to, *I* certainly didn't do anything. Sweden actually has a few "peace martyres" in modern times: Raul Wallenberg (saved jews, killed by the Soviets), Folke Bernadotte (opposed to the creation of Israel, killed by the Stern gang), D.H., and even former P.M. Olof Palme and Foreign Minister Anna Lind are sometimes considered peace heros. The conspiration buzz surrounding them was and is still considerable. You always have to what interest various people have in this. A lack of real blood and guts type of heros certainly may be one reason.

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
My paternal grandfather served with the Kriegsmarine. His cruiser, the Königsberg was sunk 1940 in Norway. He stayed there until the closing stages of the war, when they searched for volunteers to defend Silesia against the Russians. He volunteered, but according to him, it was the biggest mistake of his life. He was wounded, but escaped capture by the Russians. He died in 1997.

My maternal grandfather was a Sergeant-Major in a railway engineer company. They had to rebuild railway bridges. He served mainly on the Eastern Front. This doesn't sound quite interesting, but he wrote about every day in his diary. Weather conditions, temperature, the mood of the CO, casualties, clashes with partisans, the failure of the Italian troops (which made him very angry...) at Stalingrad, the battle of Kursk - just to mention a few things. He wrote these events accurately in his pocket calendar. He was badly wounded in the Kowel pocket in 1944. On that day his last entry was: "The thresher is starting...". He died in 1976.

My maternal great grandfather was a NCO in the Infanterie Regiment Nr.126 during WWI.
TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 11:59:07 PM »
My Grandfather was RAF ground crew working on Hurricanes, Spitfires and Typhoons over the course of the war.

He travelled with the RAF from England, through France and The Netherlands.  I can't remember if he crossed into Germany or not now.

It was with him I got started painting models, I built Airfix kits of the aircraft he worked on while I stayed with him in the summers.

That was how I learned about yellow ID stripes on the wings and red sticky tape over the gun ports on the wings.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 02:58:48 AM »
My father served in the Royal Navy from 1943 to wars end. He was a radar operator on a destroyer (HMS Kempenfelt). During his time he did Russian convoys, Med duties, Sicily, Anzio, D Day - ended the war in the Pacific theatre.

His brother joined the Parachute Regiment. Dropped in support of troops holding Pegasus Bridge during D Day. Sadly, he was killed in Aug 1944, probably during Operation Cobra.

So many lives lost in wars...and we still haven't learned anything.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »
My grandparents were probably doing the same thing as hammershields, sitting in front of the radio and going oh dear.. :roll:

Almost 200 years of peace, think we've got the longest lasting one in known history?

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »
My grandparents managed to time things quite nicely:  too young for WWI, too old for WWII.  Actually, my paternal grandfather trained with the RFC/RAF for WWI, but the war ended before he was to be sent into action (lucky guy!).  He spent WWII as a schoolteacher in a small town in the Canadian Rockies.

My maternal grandfather ended up with a job as a foreman on the Suez Canal during WWII, which meant that he took the whole family to Port Said for the duration.  Mom thought it was a great place for a 10-year-old, but then the war ended and they moved back to Scotland.  Gave Mom her wanderlust that eventually saw her travel around the world, before settling down in Canada.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
Alright, did some more digging, and it appears that my grandfather also was the subject of US intelligence interest, with two agencies unknowingly initiating negotiations at the same time...

Link to Google Books, first paragraph on page 88

Scary. Not only the Russians, but US secret agents. :o I HAVE to ask my grandmother about that.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Gertrude Lowthian Bell
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 08:55:34 AM »
my great grandfather was an infantryman in the 1st world war, we have his medal from the war at home, my grandfather was a Bevin boy involved in mining and steel work, my other grandfather was in the royal navy and was involved in the convoys to Russia supplying arms and ammo, my father was in the airforce and went to the Falkland islands about a month after the war had finished, he was involved in cleaning up the island weapons etc, he brought me back an argie helmet, waterbottle and bayonet cover.