Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690981
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Apocalyptic industry terrain  (Read 15438 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Apocalyptic industry terrain
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »
Love it all! ;D ;D

I especially love all the scattered rubbish/trash about the scenery! I think it's a hard thing to get the right level of stuff without making it look........eh.......rubbish!

Keep up the great work!!

Offline thenickeninja

• Bookworm
    • thenickeninja's blog
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
Hi again! I've started to publish some "how to" pages on my blog, http://thenickeninja.wordpress.com/. I'll put some of it here as well :)

Section 01

The main cistern is based on a plastic ginger bread jar, the tall one in the back from a Pringles tube and the small additional from spray can lids. The pipes are made from plastic "cable collector" pipes and the turn is "real" copper turn propably made for connecting radiators or similar. The small shanty house on the side is based on chicken mesh which you can't see here. Over this it's just card board cut into the right shape. For the roof and some of the rubble I used corrugated paper card bought from an artist's shop.

Now to the rubble: Most parts come from old laptops and printers. The big board on the ground in the front for example is a roughly cut piece of a cicuit board and the cog wheel is from a printer mechanism. If you look closely outside the little "house" it's a cannister on the ground, it's made from a condesator (a component on a circuit board to keep it shortly). I use those ones very often on the etire board.

Painting: The entire piece was undercoated with Chaos Black (Games Workshop). Then the ground was roughly airbrushed with Dark Sea Grey (Vallejo Air), the main cistern with Burnt Umber (VA) and the others with German Tank Green (VA). The edges were roughly highlighted with a quick spray of some sand colour from VA. Then all the rusty parts was painted. To begin with I solved some Aged Rust powder (Forge World) with Matt Medium (Vallejo) and dabbed it heavily onto all metal parts. After that I went on to dab it a little lighter with Light Rust (FW) and to finish it it was drybrushed with a little darkened Chainmail (GW). The rubble were painted in different colours mainly GW:s foundation paints in just one layer. Then the entire model more or less were lightly drybrushed with Codex Grey (GW) and probably with a mix of some other colours as well. The warning line on the tall tower was made free handed with Tausept Ochre (GW) and Chaos Black (GW). When everything was finished the number was sprayed using a template and White (VA). The posters were attatched using wood glue and a little wheathered with some washes from GW. The posters were printed out out first of course :) and you can find some of them on the resources page. For the finishing touches the whole piece was splashed with different washes, diluted paints and lightly dabbed with different natural colours mainly rust. I tried to resemble old dust running along the sides. This was made with heavily diluted light grey coluours painted on in different layers.

Details on the backside:  The stairs was a real headache! It looks quite nice but it was almost not worth it :) To begin with i cut small sections of foam board and attatched all of them with "seam paste". This doesn't dry to quick so you have time to adjust the steps meanwhile. I just worked my way up like laying bricks and really tried to get a nice shape of the stairs. The sides were the covered with plastic card. This was not an easy case either to get it in to the right shape but after a little trial and error it fitted. The concrete block besides the stairs are simply made from the leftovers from some Forge World model.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 11:32:29 PM »

This is how I did my steps, so models can stand on them.

I traced a circle of the base on cardstock and then expanded it by 1- 1/4". I cut those into sections and glued them on, spacing each rise equally. I wrapped styrene sheet on the outside and added a few struts for support. I hope this helps with your next stair project, and I did not intend to hijack your thread, only offer some helpful advice.  :)

Offline thenickeninja

• Bookworm
    • thenickeninja's blog
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »

I traced a circle of the base on cardstock and then expanded it by 1- 1/4". I cut those into sections and glued them on, spacing each rise equally. I wrapped styrene sheet on the outside and added a few struts for support. I hope this helps with your next stair project, and I did not intend to hijack your thread, only offer some helpful advice.  :)

Great way to do it! I appreciate it, hope this technique can come handy when expanding the board :) Thanks! :)

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the WIP and ideas. Very inspirational.  :-*
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline thenickeninja

• Bookworm
    • thenickeninja's blog
Second how to
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
Right, I've done some more how to files :)

This piece was basically made from a printer paper tray and chassis. The raised area is mounted on a long laptop battery. The tank is made out of a juice can and the narrow end of it is attached to a computer fan cover. In the other end there’s a copper pipe turn. The fence is made from chicken mesh.  Most of the rubble is again made of circuit card components from laptops and printers. The cog wheel is from the printer mechanism and the concrete blocks are leftovers from Forge World models. The box under the tank is made from a Lascannon magazine. As on Sector 01 there is some corrugated card a little here and there.

The whole piece was first undercoated Chaos Black (GW). As sector 01 I started with airbrushing the ground and the ramp with Dark Sea Grey (VA). For the tank I used the hairspray technique which I will try to describe shortly. First I painted the tank in rust with Forge World pigments Aged Rust and Light Rust dabbing them on the can. After this stage I collected some hairspray and poured it into my airbrush and sprayed over the rust. When this was dry I sprayed it all over again with German Tank Green (VA). I put this to dry again and then soaked the whole tank in water. Then using a piece of balsa tree I scrapped and rubbed some of the green paint away leaving the rust underneath it. This gives the feeling of a real chipped surface.  The other rusty parts were painted as in Sector 01. When making the warning lines I started with masking a rectangular area of with Tamiya masking tape to get straight lines. When this was made I painted stripes of yellow and black freehanded. I used Tausept Oche (GW) and Chaos Black (GW) and the removed the tape. The small rubble details was painted in different foundation (GW) colours and then drybrushed with Codex Grey (GW) as the entire model. This was also applied for the really small components on the circuit cards resembling control boards. For the white “graffiti” I used my not too precise Aztec airbrush. I think it isn’t really made for this but I didn’t bother to repaint it. It looks like some really traded mutant tried to tag something cool but failed ie me J. The other hand painted graffiti tags were made using a small detail brush. There’s some signs and posters on these piece as well. The danger sign was just googled, reduced to size and printed. The instructions sign was made in MS Word and printed. The missing poster was made from a googled picture put into a word file with some text. They were fitted with wood glue and then painted with some various inks. The whole model was finally splashed with different diluted black and brown colours as well as some inks again. Finally the number 02 was sprayed on using a template.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »

That's fantastic work, doubly so for such a simple solution. I'm a stealin' that.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
Thanks! I keep it a basement room in my appartment block. The taxi yes, it's a toy brand called Burago bought at BR Toys for about 2 euros. The nice thing is you can remove the chassis and paint the parts separately. The driver model is made from diferent part: Body from a 40k sentinel driver, arms from the Empire flagellants set, head from Vampire Counts Ghoul set and the pistol from some Imperial Guard set. And some green stuff on that :) I'll show you a WIP. Cheers!
[omissis]

Many thanks,
Cheers!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »
There's some lovely details on this stuff, the over all effect is stunning.
What's it actually like to play on? I imagine you have some interesting LOS discussions :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:11:40 PM by hubbabubba »

Offline thenickeninja

• Bookworm
    • thenickeninja's blog
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
It works surprisingly well to play on. I were a bit worried about this but los problem. Since everything is stuck to the tiles you don't have the problem of tipping the buildings. This makes checking los and moving much easier in such a tight city ie works pretty well :)

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2012, 06:57:20 AM »
I love the rust effect, I take it you used the FW pigments wet?
I have two Aztec airbrushes, I find they are really suited for terrain painting, and can be precise with the right tip and paint.

That's fantastic work, doubly so for such a simple solution. I'm a stealin' that.

Steal away, I ninjaed it into his thread anyway! ;)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
There's some lovely details on this stuff, the over all effect is stunning.
What's it actually like to play on? I imagine you have some interesting LOS discussions :D

I've hounded him until he promised 'action' piccies of terrain being played on. *sniff* However, I'm not holding my breath...  :D

Just teasing; at the rate you're producing, I'm surprised you've time to take ANY snaps, Mr. Ninja.

Doug

Offline thenickeninja

• Bookworm
    • thenickeninja's blog
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
I've hounded him until he promised 'action' piccies of terrain being played on. *sniff* However, I'm not holding my breath...  :D

Just teasing; at the rate you're producing, I'm surprised you've time to take ANY snaps, Mr. Ninja.

Doug

Haha! It'll pop up just when you least expect it :)

Offline thenickeninja

• Bookworm
    • thenickeninja's blog
Zombie - Enforcers scenario
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
Hi again! I've been playing some games of a home made scenario. Basically, 5 Enforcers will try to get across a board full of zombies to take some samples of a suspicious water tank. On the way they (of course) run into some bad stuff. Here's some pics, read more at my blog if you like it :) www.thenickeninja.wordpress.com

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:24:22 PM by thenickeninja »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
Zombie powered walking death machine...

Cool  8)

That's a very good looking table and I bet it's a joy to play on  :-*

cheers