Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:00:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A sailor a day...  (Read 20870 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
A sailor a day...
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Quote from: "twrchtrwyth"
Nice minis. Like the look of the ship too. Are your ship plans on paper or in your head?  8)

A philosophical question. The anser could be "in my a$$", given the number of mistakes I've done with it.

But  not to bandy words: it is a 1:100 paper model xeroxed to 1:50. The parts have been cut out and glued to plasticard of various thickness.

Good idea, do you have the original plans in digital format?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
A sailor a day...
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 06:16:51 AM »
No, afraid not. It is copyrighted material from kartonwerf.de.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 12:37:57 PM »
The salty dog of the day: Boomin' Donnan, able seaman

Donnan Penycuick springs from the Outer Hebrids where his family has been making their living as wreckers for generations. Young Dunnan added to the family craft by working on the expansion of West Highland railway as a dynamitar. He put his skills to use breaking up hulls with explosives, thus making wreck pieces manageable and cargo goods accesible.

These days Donnan is a refugee from his beloved islands. The Penycuicks were accused by a local merchant master of leading ships onto the reefs on purpose by lighting fires on the beaches in bad weather. The night after this the master and his tramper was blown to smithereens as he visited the head. Initially this was explained by the local constbulary as a result of trapped methane gas and a lit cigarette but further investigation by Glasgow Police detectives pointed to the Penycuicks, specifically Donnan. Rather than facing enquires he went to sea never to be heard of again.

Offline Lurch

• Librarian
    • http://www.miniaturicum.de
A sailor a day...
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
Very cool project hammershield!

I think I have to get this minis too.

And in times were everybody is hiding his painted minis and is waiting for the second season of the lead painter league I am realy thankful that you share this pictures with us.

keep on, stay busy!

Michael

"Hier hast Du Buch! Hier hast Du Wurzel! B???MMMM! ", Grimm

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
A sailor a day...
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 12:05:45 AM »
Hammershield, are you going to do all the detail bits yourself, or add some detail parts from ship hobby makers?  Reviresco has some great detail pieces such as steel doors, portholes, a winch, boat davits, ships wheel, ventilators, etc., if you can work your way past all the ships guns Reviresco sells...

http://www.tin-soldier.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2008, 12:40:50 AM »
No, not all the details. The ventilator funnels are to tricky to make so I will order them and a few other things like winches. I am not very keen on the Reviresco, there are much better sources.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 12:44:44 AM »
Quote from: "Lurch"
Very cool project hammershield!

I think I have to get this minis too.

And in times were everybody is hiding his painted minis and is waiting for the second season of the lead painter league I am realy thankful that you share this pictures with us.

keep on, stay busy!

Michael

I may skip they LPL this time. Can't keep up with the deadlines with a baby arround. I liked the first round but to be honest I prefer to show my stuff at my own pace. This is my hobby, so I want it to be a relaxing endevor

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
A sailor a day...
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2008, 06:12:31 AM »
Nicely painted again. 8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2008, 08:31:57 AM »
These are really inspirational. Keep them coming!

I have all these Brigade merchant crew and riverboat crew minis in my lead mountain (they're just behind the cavemen in the queue).

But it's now going to be extremely tough trying to make them anywhere near as good as yours - damn you!  :wink:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2008, 12:24:44 AM »

Next in line: Börje Börjesson, able seaman, of Västervik, Sweden, with his Makarov revolver.

I just got back from a dinner party so I can't be bothered about doing a write up about him.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
A sailor a day...
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2008, 10:36:04 AM »
Hot damn! How do you achieve those lovely whites?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
Well, I finally think I am able to ay I've got the hang of painting a passable white, thankyouformentioningit. I wish I could say the same for black.

I believe I painted a knit pattern on this mini which  can't be seen due to over exposure. I use Reaper "Oiled Lether" as a base, then Reaper "Ivory", then thinned down Reaper "White Leather" then thinned Vallejo white. I used a pinpoint dab of Vallejo Air Burnt Umbre (different shade from the Vallejo burnt Umbre) in the depest recesses.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A sailor a day...
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »
They are so lovely Peder 8)

I just spent my day with my friend Drew completing my second painting lesson. I'll have pics up hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks again for showing your lovely figurines.

Cheers

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
A sailor a day...
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
Lovely as ever.

I'm wondering about your philosophy for basing miniatures.

But during a game, doesn't it ever bother you to have a figure's base be in stark contrast to the surroundings?

First you have to ask yourself how many games your miniatures will actually see. :-)

I often have a scenario in mind, but I compromize. The Orderlies of the Asylum are definitely made for a indoors setting.  There are simply few other scenarios for them to be in.

I also keep in mind that bases are probably the easiest things to redo on a mini should you want them for somthing else.

The sailors are based OK, in my mind, on deck, on a the docksside or a muddy beach.

Most of all I think a good looking base makes up for a lot of "out of place".

Bases are always the trickiest thing to do right. For example, if you game solely in the Sudan you can do all your bases deserty yellow, but otherwise it's virtually impossible to do bases that fit every scenario. Pulp gaming needs many different backgrounds - anything from arctic to jungle via urban settings, so unless you do multiple variants of each figure with appropriate bases [ :o  :?  :lol: ] you have to compromse. Even the Mighty Malamute, with all his modelling & painting expertise,  hasn't been able to overcome this conundrum :wink:

Your ideas for using them on ships, docks, beaches etc should work very well and even if they should venture upriver into the bush dragging their anchors and oil drums behind them - who cares?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2008, 03:06:14 PM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

Your ideas for using them on ships, docks, beaches etc should work very well and even if they should venture upriver into the bush dragging their anchors and oil drums behind them - who cares?

Thank you. Maybe I should add in their character blurbs "and he will never be seen without his beloved 200 litre oil barrel, not on the docks nor the savanna".  (Do the character blurbs work, BTW? To wordy? Just annoying?)

Anyway, todays images: Purser Jack. On popular request I sexed the setting up a bit with some gravel, sand and a dingy.

Purser Jack calls New Orleans his home town and he worked throughout his youth as a house boy and butler with a prominent Louisiana gent. After his master lost his familly fortune on cards aboard a riverboat and subsequently shot himself, Jack was left with not a pot to urinate in. Using his impressions from riverboats, which he had seen plenty of with his former master, he managed to get hired on a atlantic steamer as a stweard's assistant. Changing ships a few times he quickly rose to the rank of purser, much thanks to his uncanny skills to with little means procuring popular victuals and drink for the crews. His craftiness is so legendary arround ports that he once on a dare in Marrakesh was asked to rustle up a penguin. After half an hour he came back with two penguins and a dead walrus.

The wisky crate was made with sheet, tube and rod styrene.