Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690936
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A sailor a day...  (Read 20867 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
A sailor a day...
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
The cat is still my favourite, but they're all great Hammers. Still, I think it's not fair that Mr. Börje Börjesson, able seaman, of Västervik, has no background. So, if you will allow me....

Börje ‘Buran’ Börjesson enrolled at the age of fourteen as a malevolent cabin boy on a tramp steamer on which he spent most of the following decade. He disappeared with the steamer on a routine trip to Archangel. Crossing Russia in the middle of the civil war did little to improve his character. Rumoured to have amassed a fortune as commander of a White armoured train, he was happy to return to sea five years later as able seaman on a Bosphorus tender before moving on. Börjesson  is happiest in cold weather, snow, and the thick of a fight when he is not drawing elaborate fake maps claiming to show the location of his fortune.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
A sailor a day...
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »
Quote from: "Vanvlak"
The cat is still my favourite, but they're all great Hammers. Still, I think it's not fair that Mr. Börje Börjesson, able seaman, of Västervik, has no background. So, if you will allow me....

Börje ‘Buran’ Börjesson enrolled at the age of fourteen as a malevolent cabin boy on a tramp steamer on which he spent most of the following decade. He disappeared with the steamer on a routine trip to Archangel. Crossing Russia in the middle of the civil war did little to improve his character. Rumoured to have amassed a fortune as commander of a White armoured train, he was happy to return to sea five years later as able seaman on a Bosphorus tender before moving on. Börjesson  is happiest in cold weather, snow, and the thick of a fight when he is not drawing elaborate fake maps claiming to show the location of his fortune.

Lovely! Thanks Vanvlak! I had something else in mind (Västervik was a hot spot for a marxist uprising in 1918) but I will keep this as is.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
A sailor a day...
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"

Anyway, todays images: Purser Jack. On popular request I sexed the setting up a bit with some gravel, sand and a dingy.

You're just the best, love that painting, that setting and that fluff, can't wait for the next one.

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
A sailor a day...
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »
:lol:  Love the back stories. Specially this latest. That's one mean and yet effective purser (I think I  have met his descendant).
Your detailing and all the bits and pieces are excellent.
Is the dingy home made or is it a commercial product?
Great weahtering effect on it by the way.
 :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »
The dingy is a Zvezda 1/72 medeival life boat. Would be quite large in RL but works quite well in this scale as a dingy.

EDIT:  :roll: I just went back to edit the fluff on Purser Jack as it was quite unreadable. I am a terribly sloppy editing my texts.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
A sailor a day...
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »
The blurbs are great. They really add something extra to the pics and IMO are just the right length, so please keep them as they are.

The last "mini-diorama" was very well done - so again, please continue with this idea if possible  :D

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
A sailor a day...
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2008, 03:39:10 AM »
Hammer- I've been away from the workbench threads for a bit: Holy cow! What awesome progress you're making. Your sailors are great, and I love that ship you're building.

I'm thinking of building another ship, but I'll hold off and watch yours come along first and see what I can learn :)

What source(s) will you use for the ship's fittings and details?

Oh, and Boomin' Donnan is my favorite sailor so far; gotta love plaid pants and dynamite. :mrgreen:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
A sailor a day...
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2008, 08:49:37 AM »
I go away for the weekend, come back and see all these new figures. Beautiful stuff. :love:  :D  :o  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:57 AM »
I am lagging behind a bit with thepresentation of the crew, bu here's another one:

Alojzy the Pole, with a Smith&Wesson M1917 and a fireaxe:

Alojzy is the younger son of a prominent polish industrialist in the free city of Danzig. While his father built his fortune on an extensive eel fishing and jellied eel canning operation, the son did his uttermost to spend it n cars, parties and women. After Alojzy having impregnated not only one but three daughters of important Danziger burghers, the father used his contacts to discretely send the boy to sea. Alojzy took to his new environment with surprising ease. He is however still an enthusiastic patron of various port establishments of ill repute.

The fire axe is custome made from sheet brass and rod plus solder.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
A sailor a day...
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
Very nice. nice axe too :D

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
A sailor a day...
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2008, 01:28:44 PM »
Yup, pan Alojzy looks great! Nice job on the black.

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
A sailor a day...
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »
Daft question, but who manufactures the figures?
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
A sailor a day...
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Quote from: "TadPortly"
Daft question, but who manufactures the figures?

Brigade Games.

Hammershield, they're fantastic. I particularly like Purser Jack, but all of your very small scratchbuilds of brass and wire have me tremendously impressed.

Hammershield, forge-man to the elves
The wire-smith, the brass-beater

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
A sailor a day...
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
Most obliged.

Next man:

Tidung the Bugis, deck hand.

If one is to believe sailors' tales Tidung is a pirate. If one is to believe ones eyes they concurr. The man carries every trait one would attibute to a South China Sea buccaneer. The tales tell the story of how Tidung once was part of a failed pirate attack on a tramper on its way from Makassar to Darwin. The young Tidung was knocked unconscious, chained in the hold and brought along the journey while his brethern of the coast fled back to their lairs on the Sulawesi coast. Due to pox induced manfall on board the tramper Tidung was Shanghaied in to service and was quickly assimilated into the already mixed crew. Tidung now speaks an almost incomprehensible pidgin, generoulsy trufféed with profanities in Dutch, French, German, Latin, Swedish, Maltese, Russian, Portugese, Sinhala and Esperanto, which he for some reason manages to get across with near perfect enounciation. While he has kept much of the traditional warrior ethos of his people, there no longer anything traditional about his choice of arms: the man delights in the use of small arms and grenades.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
A sailor a day...
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »
I picked up a pack of tramp steamer sailors in my last pulp order.  This thread is making me want to drop all my other projects, order more sailors, and build a boat.  

Love the figs and the backgrounds.