Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with Weathering Plasticville  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
Help with Weathering Plasticville
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
Alright.  I need help with a modern project I'm currently working on.  I am trying to build a small section of suburbia, albeit a small section of suburbia post zombie apocalypse.  You know boarded up houses, trash everywhere, but not over dilapidated.   What's looking to be bother is the proper weathering of my Plasticville houses.  I have five buildings comprised of the cape code, the cape cod under construction, and three large ranch-style homes (split-level, etc.).  I am currently working on the first cape code and I just can't seem to get it to work.  To start I spray paint the walls a light yellow and then sprayed the windows, doors, and trim all white.  The windows and trimmings are separated pieces so at least that part is easy. Once done, I then thinned done some Tamiya smoke (10 parts water: 1 part Smoke, 1 part Future Floor Wash) and ran it everywhere, covering the entire model using downward strokes.  The result was less than pleasing. First, the white primer (Krylon Flat White) seems to repel the wash and causes it to bead.  Second, the coverage is hit or miss in the end it just looks a mess.  All I want to do is give the model a little definition without muddying it up too much.  I think part of my problem is I really don't know how to uses washes on larger surfaces.  Grimm I noticed your Plasticville Hangar looked pretty good, any hints? I'm at the short end of my rope here and any help would be graciously appreciated.  Thanks.

Joey

:oops:
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Help with Weathering Plasticville
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:57:46 AM »
I would suggest using some weathering powders... you can find these at train stores... also there are some internet train stores that sell them... and you can often find them in the trains section on ebay.