Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Not jazzed by newer dwarves  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Not jazzed by newer dwarves
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:25:54 AM »
And by Newer I mean these:  http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=dwarf not because of style (That's my dislike of many or most GW dwarves) but because of scale creep.  Many modern dwarf figures are as tall as my older human figures (think 1970's) so just not happening for me...

Many great figures but not for my armies...

So, with over 300 dwarves and over 100 gnome/halfling/fairy allies (plus a small group of Elves from the 1970's) I think I have a sufficient army (maybe too many in some people's opinions,) but how does one decide to judge if he should stop looking for more compatible dwarf figures?  Should I start checking out 15 mm dwarves to see if they match up?  

Or should I just accept that since I have 4 (or 5 depending on definition) different themed forces (hardcore traditional, gunpowder, steam powered, "green" heretics using nature magic (!) and, with judicious cropping of the first two, a small 5th "soft core" traditional force that uses elements of gunpowder for artillery only) or should I consider growing the armies more (other then Science Fiction "someday") despite the current KR Multicases being filled to the brim?  I have no theme ideas for a new army and am thinking it's time to say, "enough."

Yes, I am a lead addict but I don't want rehab...  just advice.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Not jazzed by newer dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:01:39 AM »
As always, when someone is hoping for a smaller scale, I will suggest Red Box!

It's funny... I cut my teeth on more modern heroic-sized figures, so I questioned Tre's scale choice at first, but there sure are a lot of other folks for whom his slightly smaller size has been a boon (I still wish he did have some heroic-size figures though :` ).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:57:24 AM »
As always, when someone is hoping for a smaller scale, I will suggest Red Box!

It's funny... I cut my teeth on more modern heroic-sized figures, so I questioned Tre's scale choice at first, but there sure are a lot of other folks for whom his slightly smaller size has been a boon (I still wish he did have some heroic-size figures though :` ).

I'm with you! Tre is an amazing sculptor, but I like a bigger scale! I have been trying to get him to do 20mm Post Apoc, to replace the lost lamented Dark Future minis, as his ability to sculpt tiny detail would be a dream come true in 20mm! :-*

In 28mm, just  a pain in the ass! ::)

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
Ijust recieved a consignment of RB Dwarves ("Dverg") the other day. Easily the most beautiful Dwarf minis I've ever seen!!!  ;D

That said, GW's LOTR Dwarves were pretty good I thought...
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »
Agreed, the RedBox ranges are wonderful. They work well alonside the Chainmail Mordengard Dwarves. Similar style and stature, but much better sculpts.

Offline sbrndf11

• Student
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
You know the olley dwarves in the ralpartha link you posted are around or over 20 years old? Compared to the heroic scale 28-30mm scale stuff thats coming out now, those are small!