Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:52:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Advice on Strange Aeons for a total newbie  (Read 2956 times)

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
Advice on Strange Aeons for a total newbie
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
Hi everyone

I've been looking at Strange Aeons as a new hobby, but after checking out the demo kit and reading blog reviews, i'm kind of on the fence about it, mostly because it's an expensive game to invest in (including postage and expansions).

I'd kind of like to know peoples personal experiences with it, and how much fun they're having with it, from all aspects of the hobby, whether they like the rules, the modelling and scenery potentials, the games support or even just the looks of the books.

I'm kind of asking to be sold on the game, without saying "Sell me it" :P

One question on the game itself though, in a campaign, can you play a cultist group? I know a few of my friends who always like the baddies, so having a group they can progress would help me snag a few players

Thanks

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Advice on Strange Aeons for a total newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »
The only thing I can give advise is the entry price. Try finding a local retailer or at least one in a country near you that carries the books and shipping will obviously be much cheaper, no taxes etc.

Also, from what I understand the first two expansions that are now out of print are available as PDFs on Uncle Mike's website for little money.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
Well, Strange Aeons allows for a player to play the good guys and the bad guys in alternate games. So, if you have a friend that plays with you, one of you can be the bad guys and the other player takes up the Threshold team.

There is also the Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten that is in beta test right now (and free to download) that allows cults to war against one another which is a nice twist.

To be honest, buy both the core rules and Morbid Adventures....you can pick up the Strange Aeons magazines with special rules later and most of the stuff in the past two Shocking Tales you can download for free or with a small fee (so no shipping).

Also, if you shop around and plan your purchases building a Threshold team and a decent amount of Lurkers can be cheap. I found Miniature Giant for example that discounts the figures for Reaper. There is other companies out there that also discount as well and many others have some great prices like Muttonchop and Black Cat Bases (I am biased somewhat to them as they have decent prices and good service with quality figs).

The advice here is to buy the books, figure out your team and buy models for them, then also buy Lurkers that are the lower points (and more likely to use) than a high point model like a 20 point werewolf that may take a few games before you can use it. As this is a skirmish game a budget is easy to build and work.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the replies, all very interesting reads so far. A little of digging, and I've seen that the books are available in the UK, still costly, but this has certainly never been the cheapest hobby.

I've just had a look at Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten, and this may actually by more suitable for my gaming group. As they like to play the bad guys, i think they'd be put a standard game of SA, as they wouldn't be able to expand a group of cultists in a campaign...Hopefully the two will be compatible, so cults and thresholds will be able to share a campaign.

I like the potential for modeling, i have a half started Hyborian project i can use some of the stuff for, mostly my Arabian style town, if i recall, there were plenty of shady goings in in those places in the Lovecraft stories  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
Adding to what has been said before: One of the best things about the SA rules is that they are so versatile.

With a little imagination you could use them in just about any period or genre.

I will be using them for a future Star Wars Mos Eisley project next year (Plenty to do before I can really sink my teeth into that!) and for a Fantasy skirmish project using my Mordheim scenery.

For a good example of their versatility check out the thread by Mr Harold, who used the SA rules for an Aliens-style game recently:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=40460.0

One rulebook purchase could be used in so many ways.

Another point about Morbid Adventure is that it contains all of the scenarios in it with variants and twists for most as well.

You may think that they are expensive, but you will not be disappointed when you sink your teeth into them.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:50:02 AM »
I am by no means an expert on skirmish games but. . .
I got into SA because I found that pulp games needed a lot of terrain and at least 40 miniatures.  Strange Aeons seemed a lot easier to handle, especially since you can run a light game in an evening, or build a campaign with characters who grow and change.

in terms of miniatures you really only need about 5 threshold agents to start.  get one that looks like a professor, one that looks like  mercenary . ..

You needs a few cultists and some monsters.  I originally used some plastic D and D minis to fill in the gaps.  You also don't need a lot of terrain.  Just a forest and some gravestones.

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
Hi all. Thanks for the input. Speaking to my friends, they all seem more interested in Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten so they can develop a group of evil doers, so we'll mostly likely be running that once the game is completely released, if it is compatible with SA, I'll then grab that too as an additional options and expanse.

Just out of morbid curiosity, does anyone have any insight as to when Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten will get a full release?

I'm looking forward to building a Mythos based group and terrain, so the plus is, I can use a lot of those for SA if there's interest at a later point  :)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the input. Speaking to my friends, they all seem more interested in Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten so they can develop a group of evil doers, so we'll mostly likely be running that once the game is completely released, if it is compatible with SA, I'll then grab that too as an additional options and expanse.

Just out of morbid curiosity, does anyone have any insight as to when Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten will get a full release?

I'm looking forward to building a Mythos based group and terrain, so the plus is, I can use a lot of those for SA if there's interest at a later point  :)

What is nice is they do work with one another, you do need the SA rules to use the VUK rules....mainly for the stats, weapons rules and such...still you can use Threshold as a challenge also in VUK games...

If you are worried about budget, tell you what...I am a net-fu geek and I can help you pull together a decent pile of lead on the cheap depending on what group you want within a  budget.

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:36:33 PM »
What is nice is they do work with one another, you do need the SA rules to use the VUK rules....mainly for the stats, weapons rules and such...still you can use Threshold as a challenge also in VUK games...

If you are worried about budget, tell you what...I am a net-fu geek and I can help you pull together a decent pile of lead on the cheap depending on what group you want within a  budget.

Ah cool! if SA and VUK can be combined to make one game, then that's certainly what i was hoping for.

I'd certainly be interested in any advice on building a pile of minis on a budget, although the budget for minis isn't as much as an issue for me as apposed to the rules. I was just a little wary about sinking money into a game then not being able to sell it to my group of friends i play with.

The idea that VUK gives the chance to manage and customize a group of villains and monsters was more appealing to my friends than playing the one off baddies in SA, as my group tend to like the managerial side of skirmish games too. So with both games being compatible, it gives people the chance to play cults and monsters or the good guys trying to stop them, and I can appease everyone  :)

Offline Ithaquatini

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
Until VUK is released you might want the SA rulebook, since the stats for spells and creatures are in the SA rulebook and not in the free VUK download.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:03:59 PM by Ithaquatini »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
Ah cool! if SA and VUK can be combined to make one game, then that's certainly what i was hoping for.

I'd certainly be interested in any advice on building a pile of minis on a budget, although the budget for minis isn't as much as an issue for me as apposed to the rules. I was just a little wary about sinking money into a game then not being able to sell it to my group of friends i play with.

The idea that VUK gives the chance to manage and customize a group of villains and monsters was more appealing to my friends than playing the one off baddies in SA, as my group tend to like the managerial side of skirmish games too. So with both games being compatible, it gives people the chance to play cults and monsters or the good guys trying to stop them, and I can appease everyone  :)

Well, to combine them you may have to work that angle a bit. SA is to be the Threshold vs Lurkers (good vs evil) and VUK is bad vs bad...the Threshold (good guys) can challenge another cult in VUK but it is still a one off just reversed from SA.

First step should be getting the SA Core rules and Morbid Adventures. Download VUK. Read the rules. Then figure out what figures you want. As you know the point costs and rules for everything you should be able to pick a cult and then buy figures you want once you figure out your list. Same for your buddies, you should be able to share a single copy of the rules. By doing a small order and knowing what you want will prevent you from spending more  than you want and keep ya in a budget.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
For monsters on the cheap I'd recommend picking up some horrorclix figures.  I've already modified several.  After re-basing them and a little bit of paint touch-ups they look really good.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »
Well after looking at all the great projects and pictures on this forum, and finding out i have a bit of over time owing, i've decided to make the plunge and get the rules today, so we can play VUK or SA.

For monsters on the cheap I'd recommend picking up some horrorclix figures.  I've already modified several.  After re-basing them and a little bit of paint touch-ups they look really good.

I really like Horrorclix for re-basing, i use a lot for my modern zombie gaming, but i was unaware of any Eldritch minis, except the huge Cthulhu. I'll do some research into that.

Or just use Standees!

Those standees look great, and will certainly be used for testing what i like before buying suitable minis.

Thanks for the advice everyone.