Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Musket & Tomahawk yahoo group  (Read 9634 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Musket & Tomahawk yahoo group
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
cheers :)

I'll more than likely get it anyway. (I will need some old school looking Indians though)

Tell the author to make another version/upgrade/codex, ECW to the Three Musketeers :-*
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »
Have tidied my lists for this evening. Both are just > of 200pts

BRITISH
Officer/Tactition [Natural Talent for Regular Officer]
11 x Regulars
8 x Rangers with "Marksmen"

FRENCH
Indian Chief
6 x CdB
3 x 6 Huron

Looking forward to it
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
Hope you have fun. If you have any rules questions just ask.
Rich J

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Hope you have fun. If you have any rules questions just ask.

Thanks. I've been through the rules a couple of times and i think i have a reasonable grasp of them now - we shall see  :D

It'll be interesting to see how the flexibility of the Indians/CdB fare against the firepower of the Regulars and Rangers [marksmen]

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »
Make sure they stay in area cover esP the Indians who then count as being in dense cover.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »
We had a really good first game. Hopefully a couple of photos may appear on here soon.

I acted as GM as i was the only person who had read the rules  :)

The first building was placed dead centre after the roll and another within 8". British rolled Engagement [must destroy two-thirds of the French force]; the Indians a Scouting Objective [ explore all four quarters of the board then retire with at least a third of the starting figures]

For the sub-plots, the British Officer rolled "Boldness" [had to be within 12" of the Indians and LOS by 4 x Actions]. The Indians had got their hands on a secret document and had to Decipher it

The game played really smoothly and we had no real issues. It worked, it made sense and more to the point it was fun.

The Brits had  their work cut out achieving their sub-plot as the forces started on opposite table ends

The canny Indian player [no rookie to gaming, just these rules] never strayed too far out of cover and never gave the Regulars the opportunity to fire at them using Firing Line. The Rangers & CdB seemed happy to take pot shots at each other; meanwhile the Indians weant about stealthily achieving its main objective. The Indian Chief also worked out the secret message.

The Regulars eventally tired of trying to lure the Huron into a trap and decided to start setting about them by Melee. This was surprisingly effective, due to weight of numbers.

My this time both sides were in poor shape. The Rangers had routed; a combination of attritional shooting by the CdB and then being butchered in combat. The Regulars avenged them though lkilling the Chief in the process.

Both Morale cards were added to the deck!

The Regulars were down to 4 figs plus the Officer but they only had to kill a couple of Huron to achive their Objection [the CdB were long gone.

The British got themselves into a position that they could volley fire .. but ...but ... the card just wouldn't come for them.

The Indians managed to escape past them & in doing so achieved their Objective and the sub-plot. A Major Victory for the French; the British achieving neither objective nor sub-plot. Not a moment too soon either; the next card was the French Morale. We had to try it; both Indian units would have failed on the dice roll. That would have given the French a Minor Victory; neither side would have obtained their Objective but the Indians would have achieved their sub-plot

After the gunsmoke had cleared i thought about a couple of things.

I had forgotten about Vigilance [overwatch]. The British may have gotten that shot off after all..

Also Natives treat Light Terrain as Dense terrain [you did say earlier too]

We're playing an AWI 400pt game next.

First impressions, I think these are a keeper ..  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:10:29 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it.  Sounds like a fun game was had by all.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
Thinking about it, if the Indians had failed their Morale it would have been a Draw

British would have obtained their Objective but the Frnch achieved their sub-plot ..

All good fun. Painting Foundry British Grenadiers at the moment

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
That's the thing I love about the game. Just when you think it went well the side it bites you in the rear.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »
It was interesting how the British player changed his tactics - it almost got him the win.

I give a quick resume of the basic/special rules at the start & off we went. Neither player had looked at the rules before

I'm now kicking myself for not buying any of the Conquest Longhouses and canoes from Northstar when i had the opportunity [sniff!]

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
400pt list for our next game

AWI BRITISH
Officer/Trait
Officer (German)
10 x Regulars
18 x German Infantry/Determined
3 x 6 Indians

AWI CONTINENTAL ARMY
Officer/Trait
Officer/Trait
10 x Continental Infantry
8 x Light Infantry
2 x 10 x Militia/Provincials
1 x 6 Stocksbridge Indians

Any obvious gaps Rich?

Thanks

James

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
Got some bad news for you. I think the 8-18 unit size is a misprint. Pretty sure it's supposed to be 8-12. Still you just take them as two units of 9.

Will check with the author for you.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
Got some bad news for you. I think the 8-18 unit size is a misprint. Pretty sure it's supposed to be 8-12. Still you just take them as two units of 9.

Will check with the author for you.

Thanks Rich. I only put them in the 18 so as to make it play differently. 2 x 9 is fine, in fact i would have left it to my opponent to split them if he wanted as 18s may be unmanagable on the tabletop