Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:49:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Inexpensive scale model vehicles for 28mm/HeroClix figures?  (Read 27324 times)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: Inexpensive scale model vehicles for 28mm/HeroClix figures?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
These are $5.00 cars from Rite Aid (I assume that they're the same as the ones from CVS). Pictures with figures for scale:

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far folks!

@proditor:  I'm not too keen on the paper models (inexpensive as they are and despite their good looks) sicne I want a bit more durability.

@Heldrak:  Thanks for sharing those pics!  The models look great and are a great scale for the minis I'm using (many of which you used in your pics).  Also thanks for sharing the paint jobs on your minis, those guys look fantastic!

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »
I'm going to second the recommendation for the Hot Wheels 1:50 stuff. I did a match up of Bone Shaker (one of the smaller models) a few years ago at http://overloadedqueue.blogspot.com/2008/04/vroom.html. I don't think they're being sold in stores any more, but on ebay they're going for $5-10 apiece, which is decent if you can find a few from a single seller to minimize shipping. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-WHEELS-RAT-RODS-1-50th-VW-SERIES-/221067980026?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3378adacfa (not my auction, but a steal if you win it at that price). I also have a bunch from their Dropstars and Hot Import Nights collections.

Definitely go check out Maxxev's blog post on the subject as well, at http://www.smallcuts.net/articles/vehicle_comparison.jsp.

Though if you're looking for real superhero type cars, Corgi did a line of Batmobiles a few years ago in 1:43 scale that worked out more like 1:50. There were Batmobiles for every decade, plus cars for Robin, the Joker, Catwoman, Two Face, and even Killer Moth. Ignore the batcopter and batboat, though, as they're way too small.

Finally, Ertl did a Batwing in support of the 1989 film, and it's also an excellent piece. Just paint over the bright yellow bat symbol, hit it with a little matte finish, and do some lighter highlights around the edges. $10, maybe $15, still on card if you keep your eyes open.

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
@mrgrigson:  I'm actually more interested in civilian cars for the most part, though I will need a few nice sport cars/prototype cars that can pass for superhero vehicles eventually, its the civilian cars, trucks and semis that I really want to get my mitts upon.

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
These are $5.00 cars from Rite Aid (I assume that they're the same as the ones from CVS). Pictures with figures for scale:

@Heldrak:  I took a look at the CVS cars by Kinstoys, and a lot of them are 1:36 or 1:38.  They look great, and seem to be a good scale, but I think I need to check out some of the 1:50th scale cars (G Machines, etc.) before I buy...

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »
@Heldrak:  I took a look at the CVS cars by Kinstoys, and a lot of them are 1:36 or 1:38.  They look great, and seem to be a good scale, but I think I need to check out some of the 1:50th scale cars (G Machines, etc.) before I buy...

Most of the Rite Aid cars shown are marked 1:43 scale (apart from the yellow hot rod), but actual scales vary so much in the die cast car industry (particularly the cheapo ones) that marked scales are almost meaningless. Far better to take a sample figure along with you and match up the scale on the spot before making a purchase...

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
Most of the Rite Aid cars shown are marked 1:43 scale (apart from the yellow hot rod), but actual scales vary so much in the die cast car industry (particularly the cheapo ones) that marked scales are almost meaningless. Far better to take a sample figure along with you and match up the scale on the spot before making a purchase...

Good advice Heldrak, thanks.  I'll try stopping by the local Rite Aid soon and will bring a couple of minis with me.  :)  Most of the CVS ones seemed too large.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »
Good advice Heldrak, thanks.  I'll try stopping by the local Rite Aid soon and will bring a couple of minis with me.  :)  Most of the CVS ones seemed too large.

Gotta to love the looks you get standing there holding a model up to them while looking at the toys. I had fun doing this some time ago when I went to a hobby lobby looking for some storage containers to fit some models.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

It is also worth trying different Rite Aid stores (if you have more than one in your area) as some of them seem to get different stock. Also try them at different times of the year.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
It is also worth trying different Rite Aid stores (if you have more than one in your area) as some of them seem to get different stock. Also try them at different times of the year.

Here in Florida we have a CVS and Walgreens on every corner....gotta love the state of retirement people!

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 05:30:52 AM »
Take a look at this review of some cheap $2.50 cars at Dollar General right now.
The sports cars are 1/43ish but the sedans, a nice Dodge Charger and a Chrysler 300, are almost perfect 1/50.
I prefer 1/50ish scale vehicles and for my zombie town I have loaded up on the sedans, the Dodge Magnum and the pickup.

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/06/post-apocalyptic-cars-and-motorcycles.html

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »
Take a look at this review of some cheap $2.50 cars at Dollar General right now.
The sports cars are 1/43ish but the sedans, a nice Dodge Charger and a Chrysler 300, are almost perfect 1/50.
I prefer 1/50ish scale vehicles and for my zombie town I have loaded up on the sedans, the Dodge Magnum and the pickup.

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/06/post-apocalyptic-cars-and-motorcycles.html

That is funny, I was about to post that I saw some at Dollar General the other day, one was a nice sedan style car...stated 1:43 but looked good for a mini game...

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »
Hi all.  Just wanted to say "Thank you!" to everyone who replied to this thread.  After lots of hunting through local Rite Aid's and CVS stores, and striking out (all o the inventory here was 1/36 or 1/38 and was just a hair too big), I took Amalric and Styx's advice and stopped by a local Dollar Store.  They had a mini-coop, two sedans, a station wagon and a hummer that were all the right size (1/43 scale).  As mentioned they were also a lot cheaper at $2.50 each, and they all look great.  I'll see if I can grab a pic or two in the near future to show how they turned out.

Now to find some police, fire, and other emergency vehicles in the same scale...

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
Hi all.  Just wanted to say "Thank you!" to everyone who replied to this thread.  After lots of hunting through local Rite Aid's and CVS stores, and striking out (all o the inventory here was 1/36 or 1/38 and was just a hair too big), I took Amalric and Styx's advice and stopped by a local Dollar Store.  They had a mini-coop, two sedans, a station wagon and a hummer that were all the right size (1/43 scale).  As mentioned they were also a lot cheaper at $2.50 each, and they all look great.  I'll see if I can grab a pic or two in the near future to show how they turned out.

Now to find some police, fire, and other emergency vehicles in the same scale...

Glad it helped, I plan to buy a few also at my local stores....hell, they have one every few miles here in Florida...

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
Styx:

If I could see them in advance I'd ask you to pick me up some Styx!  There's only the one up here in Nashua, NH, and I cleaned them out.

Keith