Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:25:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basing technique for miniatures with cast on bases...  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Basing technique for miniatures with cast on bases...
« on: February 14, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »
Greetings!

I am looking for a new basing technique for figures that have cast on bases.  Currently I glue my figures to either a metal fender washer or a
plastic slotta base and then use an automotive body putty to "hide" the metal cast base and "blend" it into the slotta base or the fender washer.

I no longer have access (due to moving) to the automotive body putty I was using.  Also it took some time to cure and if it was too thick would sometimes crack...  however on the plus side it was rock hard and could even be sanded.

What is everyone else using for basing miniatures?  I am hoping to get suggestions of something that is readily available.

Thank you!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »
Metal washer for me then I use Polyfilla. Its now available in a tube and cures in 30mins. Then a thin coat of PVA, some small rocks and sand then paint and flock.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Zoogla

• Scientist
    • http://www.zinnfiziert.de
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »
Hey Darkoath!

I blend the miniature's base to the coin/washer base, using a cheap, air hardening model clay you'll find in any hardware store (go to the hobby section).
The stuff lasts forever (if kept moist - in a plastic bag) and is pretty fast drying when applied to the base. If you have problems finding something, write me a PM, I'll send some over!

Best regards
Z.
please visit my miniature painting blog http://www.tinfected.eu/blog/

Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »
I tend to go for the 30mm plastic "new" bases (the ones with the recess in the center). When filled with sand these will hide most "cast on" bases. Em4 sells them cheap in packs of 10 (1£/10 bases).
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:48:54 PM »
I use Green Stuff, the cheeper (and basically the same) Plumbers Putty and a super product called Aves Epoxy Sculpt. The Aves is a two part putty, but unlike most other putties it can be easily smoothed and worked with a bit of water. Also, totally natural and non-toxic, if that matters to you.

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »
I use Milliput on 2p pieces (Queens head face down, Gawd bless 'er), lightly press small stones into it sprinkle with flock , sand etc.
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »
Milliput, generally. Or whatever car body filler you can get hold of locally. It's much the same thing.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
I use elmers wood putty.  It's tricky to use but it dries in a few hours and you can sculpt into really nicely as it starts to cure if your so inclined.  I apply it with a pallet knife and water.  Now that I've got the hang of it I can do a large number of minis much more quickly than using epoxy putty.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »
25mm repair washer (shiny side down).

Stick the figure on with Araldite or similar 2 part epoxy glue that sets rock hard. To build up the ground around the figure's cast-on base (and to conceal the washer) I use a cunning proprietary mix - basically coarse sand, mixed with earthy colour emulsion, and a generous squirt of PVA of any denomination. You can make this mixture to virtually any consistency you like. You paint in on with an old brush. It dries within a few hours with a nice granular surface, and sets jolly hard. Generally I sprinkle on a bit of model railway grit here and there and push one or two larger lumps of aquarium gravel into the mixture while it's still wet. These stick because of the pva in the mix. But to make sure, once dry I seal the whole lot with a thick coat of dark earth base colour acrylic. Then highlight and titivate from there.

You can buy a large bag of builders sand, a cheap pot of brown emulsion, and a gallon of cheap hobby PVA, all for a few measly quid (in the UK at any rate). I conservatively estimate this would enable you to make enough basing compound to texture the bases of several thousand 28mm figures  :mrgreen:

(You can also mix it up in any quantity in advance - it'll last forever in a sealed pot. I make up a jam jar full every few months...)

So don't waste your money on Basetex, Brushscape and similar products. Just make your own at an infintesimal fraction of the price. You can get a better consistency. It costs virtually nothing per figure. You can pick your own colour. And it's absurdly easy to slap it on and then prod it around to get it looking just how you want it.

I used to use Milliput many years ago, and it was a complete fiddly fag.

The sand / paint / pva concotion is soooooooooooooooooooo ludicrously easy, and gives fabulous results every time.  Try it - I promise you'll be converted. :wink:

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »
1p or 2p with the queens head up - blame my mum!

And ten wash the bash with pva and dip in a sand ballast and grit mix.  I will reapply if the base is still discernible.

Very quick and easy..

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »
Wow alot of good tips... I will have to try these and see what I like best.  The technique Captain Blood describes is almost the exact technique I use to finish my slotta based figures... I didn't think it would work to conceal a base integral to the figure, but I will also try it for that...

Thanks for the responses...  I'll post some pictures when I find the one I like best! :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
Same as other guys, a nix of sand, grit etc and I use wood glue  :) I normaly base them before painting too as I hate basing and have known figures painted and finsihed sit around for almost a year before I can bring myself to base and paint it :D

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
I have been basing my stuff on plastic bases. For figures like Foundry that have the base cast on, I use a pair of wire snips and snip the base off except for what is close to the feet. Then I either use a dremel with a cutting disc and cut off the base piece under the feet or a jewelers saw. I put a pin in one foot and superglue it to the base. With this method I don't end up with the raised hump in the middle of the base. Plus there is no need to use and putty.

Here is an example of a Foundry figure rebased.
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 08:31:57 PM »
Or you could do that, yeah.  :)