Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690602
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scottish Wars of independence Figures Question.  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Scottish Wars of independence Figures Question.
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
Hello all.

I was wondering if anyones knows of any figures that could be used for the Scottish independence wars which are wearing the newest armour that was being introduced in the last decade of the 1200s.
I know of plenty of early-mid 13th century figures that would be great to fill out the bulk of the armies, but I can't find any figures that match that final decade; to be precise, the introduction of moveable visors as well as an increasing presence of plate armour, such as gloves, and pieces of metal strips protecting parts of the arms/shoulders etc (I don't know their offical names).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Scottish Wars of independence Figures Question.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
Don't know the exact period but have you had a look at these...

http://www.claymorecastings.co.uk/

Server was down before but it probably won't last long.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
Thanks Bibbly.

Unfortunately Claymore castings is for later on.

The exact period I'm looking at is 1290-1300 if it helps.

Many thanks all the same.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
What's about ebob? http://ebobminiatures.com/products/rebellion.htm
assumed you're looking for 28mm these guys should do for this period.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:03:31 PM by moiterei_1984 »

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
Ebob miniatures I have considered, but to be honest their figures are more in line with the sort of fantastical Braveheart version, rather than the actual thing as far as I'am concerned. Some of the character models would be good, but I don't believe the leg guards a lot of them wear are correct for the time (aside from other pieces) other then that they don't have what i'm after.

Scheltrum's stuff would be okey; if the figures were any good  :'(

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
You probably know this already, but any range catering for the Second Baron's War or Late Crusaders should be on the money.

As well as Ebob's lovely Rebellion range, Gripping Beast and Curteys come to mind. They are both mid-13th century, but should be fine for this I think.

Kind regards,

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
Ebob miniatures I have considered, but to be honest their figures are more in line with the sort of fantastical Braveheart version, rather than the actual thing as far as I'am concerned. Some of the character models would be good, but I don't believe the leg guards a lot of them wear are correct for the time (aside from other pieces) other then that they don't have what i'm after.

Scheltrum's stuff would be okey; if the figures were any good  :'(

Hmm - are these figures, how shall we say, not too clever, then? I was thinking of getting a bunch of their rowers for a boat building project I've got on. Should I reconsider?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »
You probably know this already, but any range catering for the Second Baron's War or Late Crusaders should be on the money.

As well as Ebob's lovely Rebellion range, Gripping Beast and Curteys come to mind. They are both mid-13th century, but should be fine for this I think.

Kind regards,

Yes the Gripping Beast stuff, and Curtey's are great, BUT its not what i'm after, i've managed to find a picture which illustrates sort of what i'm looking at, I did recently find a Osprey book which explored this quite a bit, but I can't remember where i placed it. But here is an image I found which to some degree explains what I was looking for.

Note the pieces of strip/plate armour protecting the elbow, shoulder and wrists, this is what I was looking for as it appears it only started coming about in the 1290s-1300s other times included strips going down the length of the arms and bits protecting the knees/ankles but pretty much all figures i've come across didn't have it! I only needed a few as only the richest fellas would have probably ended up wearing it, the majority would still be using kit that had been around since the mid 13th century and before. I have however since then found someone who does produce Knights in this time of armour, and thats none other than Foundry!

http://wargamesfoundry.com/historical_ranges/single_packs/medieval/european/foot_knights_med302/?sector_id=12

Apologies if i caused any confusion.

Hmm - are these figures, how shall we say, not too clever, then? I was thinking of getting a bunch of their rowers for a boat building project I've got on. Should I reconsider?

I personally haven't seen pics of their rowers (which sorta put me of their medieval range was lack of pictures) but from what ones I have seen their figures have heads which are a bit big and look stunted, it sorta puts me of, but thats only my own viewpoint. I haven't seen them in the flesh and thats what really matters.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »
I really do think that this period, late 12th early 13th century is an under represented period. There are several manufacturers out there but I've found a lot of ranges to be incomplete or less than amazing. I think it's quite hard to nail down this period with the transition in armours, helmets etc.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »

I personally haven't seen pics of their rowers (which sorta put me of their medieval range was lack of pictures) but from what ones I have seen their figures have heads which are a bit big and look stunted, it sorta puts me of, but thats only my own viewpoint. I haven't seen them in the flesh and thats what really matters.

Cheers Brummie - hopefully hidden inside a curragh they'll look the part. I'm struggling to find an alternative and I don't fancy sculpting my own, so I think I'll get some anyway and report back here with my findings.

M

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 11:10:32 AM »
Cheers Brummie - hopefully hidden inside a curragh they'll look the part. I'm struggling to find an alternative and I don't fancy sculpting my own, so I think I'll get some anyway and report back here with my findings.

M

I have photos of their Kerns and Galloglaw as I moderate the Steel Bonnets Yahoo group. They are Martin Baker sculpts and as such are very similar in style to Curtey Mongols/ Outpost Aztecs in terms of proportions.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
I found a whole load of Hotspur Scottish Pikemen for the Independence Wars in the loft. All in the original packs, with the original price of '90p' for Three figures taped on them; clearly a relic of a time now long gone. Given how old they are the quality is certainly a lot better than the majority of stuff i've seen thus far.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »
Here are some shots of Scheltrum figures used for AWC's huge Harlaw refight on the 500th anniversary last year in Aberdeen Arts Gallery.

Personally I felt the swords and spears were too clunky and large, but the figures looked the part en mass - those on the LHS representing Donald's forces, whilst those on the right representing Mar's (except in the third and fourth pic where this is reversed). Sorry I dont have any individual shots of figures - but if you look closely you will pick out a few other manufacturers pieces in there - perry, front rank etc.

Hope that helps.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
I have photos of their Kerns and Galloglaw as I moderate the Steel Bonnets Yahoo group. They are Martin Baker sculpts and as such are very similar in style to Curtey Mongols/ Outpost Aztecs in terms of proportions.

Cheers Lowtardog - based on a look at the Curteys stuff, I'd say they'll work well enough. How much attention is anyone going to be paying to the beggars pulling the oars anyway?!