Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:02:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shields - how do you secure them to your minis?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
Shields - how do you secure them to your minis?
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Like it says on the tin. Model shop thrall "yeah i just stick our super glue on mine and it works forever." Or not, I used GW glue metal on metal and when I had to remove a shield from a model I was preparing I was very irritated at the ease it popped off with a few days later.

Whats the penultimate way of securing a shield to our faithful little heroes? They really don't want them dropping off upon the first unconsentual impact if one of those fabled dice bumps into them.

I hear drilling + eboxy x 2 substances mix is the No1 of joining man to his mobile thicker skin. If anybody knows a more straightforward/Holy Grail of metal on metal glue much appreciated. I assume spears are just stick and pray?

All helpful feedback hugely appreciated and what sort of glue/drills do you use if thats the way ahead :)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Shields - how do you secure them to your minis?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
Like it says on the tin. Model shop thrall "yeah i just stick our super glue on mine and it works forever." Or not, I used GW glue metal on metal and when I had to remove a shield from a model I was preparing I was very irritated at the ease it popped off with a few days later.

Whats the penultimate way of securing a shield to our faithful little heroes? They really don't want them dropping off upon the first unconsentual impact if one of those fabled dice bumps into them.

I hear drilling + eboxy x 2 substances mix is the No1 of joining man to his mobile thicker skin. If anybody knows a more straightforward/Holy Grail of metal on metal glue much appreciated. I assume spears are just stick and pray?

All helpful feedback hugely appreciated and what sort of glue/drills do you use if thats the way ahead :)

I rough it up well with a good coarse file and use some medium viscosity cyanoacrylate. This seems to work for me. I've had more success this way that with epoxy (either rapid or slow setting). I've had good results with Evo-Stik in the sense of the shields staying in place but it's a beggar to get enough for a good bond without it showing and spoiling thew look of things.

I guess the holy grail would be to learn to use the ultra-low melting solder that the railway modelling boys use to assemble complex multi part white metal kits, but that wouldn't be cheap to set up, quick to learn or probably very simple.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline soldieroftheline

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
Drill and pin and glue with epoxy (Araldite in the UK). I'll admit drilling is fiddly and sometimes difficult to line up the shield exactly where you want it and also to not drill through the shield. However even where I have drilled through or not got it quite in the right position I don't notice after painting.

Rob

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I think soldering would go well beyond my capabilities and be more trouble for me than its worth.

I think ill go with drilling, what do you think of this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Archimedes-Drill-Suit-Micro-Hobby-Craft-Great-Modeling-Airfix-Modelers-/400311783323?_trksid=p5197.m1997&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16%26meid%3D951972455304711237%26pid%3D100016%26prg%3D1017%26rk%3D1%26

Just im wanting something cheap and cheerful as my warbands cleaned me out and the GW ones are like £8 or are they that much better?? If you know of better options please share :)

Also what sort of Eboxy do you recommend?

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I think soldering would go well beyond my capabilities and be more trouble for me than its worth.

Not with Soudal cold steel.
It's 2-component glue/filler for metals.

I fear it's not available in the UK. It shows up on the dutch pages of their site, but not on the UK pages...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
Not with Soudal cold steel.
It's 2-component glue/filler for metals.

I fear it's not available in the UK. It shows up on the dutch pages of their site, but not on the UK pages...

Sounds interesting, but it's still glue I guess. True low-temp soldering (80C and phosphoric acid flux) would be the gold standard I guess, but it's a little bit TMA for my taste.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
Have you tried Gorilla Superglue? I've used pretty much every glue going and for me it works the best.

I should add that with the Gorilla Superglue I've only used it for metal to metal. Not sure how good it is for plastic to plastic or metal to plastic.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:22:22 PM by cram »

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »
No just the games workshop stuff thats model specific but I wasnt very impressed. Pinning appeals but if I can just glue them together then obviously thats much more preferrable!

They are for gaming so are probably going to get dropped etc from time to time.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
Well its Gorilla Superglue I use for my shields and spears, so far I've not had a shield or spear come off, which is more than I can say for the other products I've tried. Of course I do try not to knock them about.

If you do try Gorilla (and if you do, I hope It works as well for you) just make sure its the Superglue with the blue top.

Good luck.

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
Me to hehe ordered myself a tub of the high impact tough stuff, I'm going off the drilling as it just looks a bit too fiddly  :)

Offline Henrix

• Scientist
  • Fernwright
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »
I'm a pin-aholic, so I pin them. And superglue.

But seeing that you're asking for the next best thing, I'd do as Mitch K says - rough it up good first. Be sure to get the finish up, and make something rough for the glue to stick to.
I score the area at random with a knife. Works fine.
--