Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp in 15 mm - two years on.  (Read 4011 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Pulp in 15 mm - two years on.
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:09:52 AM »
I was reviewing an old thread from 2010 about doing pulp in 15 mm and one of the arguments that surfaced again and again was detail.  Take a look at this to end that argument, Sherlock Holmes in particular: https://bluemoonmanufacturing.com/lg_product.php?product=15HOR-114
(someday I'll figure how to post the actual photo)

The other argument is cost to manufacturer.  Clearly, Blue Moon has overcome that argument - over and over.

So, let us revisit the idea of pulp in 15 mm.  Who is doing it?  Where are you getting your figures?  Where are you getting your vehicles? - and, please, if you don't think pulp is viable in this scale, restrain yourself from joining this discussion, we've heard the arguments about the larger scales plenty of times, this thread is for those who realize the potential in this scale.  thanks!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Pulp in 15 mm - two years on.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:19:31 AM »
Well one big advantage with this scale would be the availablity of scenery. 15mm figures size up quite nicely with HO buildings etc. there are also a lot of vehicles available in that scale.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
I'm contemplating it.

Khurasan and Rebel do pulp figures, and I'd be looking into MDF buildings for scenery.

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
I'd really like to do pulp in 15mm, especially for the storage advantages the terrain and figures offer.  I've started hoarding models to that end, but there is still a relative scarcity of character models in 15mm compared to 25/28mm. Recent offerings by Blue Moon have helped, but 15mm needs a series of character figures similar to Bob Murch's pulp figures, Copplestone's Back of Beyond range, and Artizan's Thrilling Tales. Not sure that this approach makes economic sense for 15/18mm figures which typically are focused on units.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:46:38 AM »
The other argument is cost to manufacturer.  Clearly, Blue Moon has overcome that argument - over and over.

Except that Blue Moon has advantages most other manufacturers do not. Mainly association with and support from Old Glory and the ability to sell at 40% off directly to a large cadre of loyal customers.

Cost versus reward is still very much an issue with 15s, if it wasn't there would be more niche ranges available, and faster expansion of boutique manufacturers. I know for a fact several of the highest profile guys are just skating along viability. And most of the small guys I've tried talking to about carrying their wares say they can't afford to sell to stores.

Other than that, carry on.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:15:39 AM »
You can significantly increase the figures available in this size range (particularly in the world of the bystanders and I love bystanders), by using Preiser HO figurers in addition to the Blue Moon 15mm/18mm figures.  The big downside to Preiser is cost.  They are expensive.  But they offer lots of interesting figures from both the Victorian era and the first have of the 20th century.  I have used them for years to supplement my 15mm military collections because of the lack of interesting non-military/civilian figures available in 15mm.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:59:58 AM »
Curiously enough, at least so far, Blue Moon has shown no signs of slowing down their 15 mm releases.  Just in the last couple of weeks they've released a range of tents, their Three Musketeers, Texas War of Independence, French Foreign Legion, and the War of 1812.  And, despite all the complaints to the contrary, they are also doing some releases in 28 mm.  But the messages I've seen from Russ give a powerful indication that 15 mm is the scale fueling the fire of the company, not the other way round.  No doubt some of the ranges they release will disappoint in sales, part of the risk of entrepreneurship, but it seems to be going gangbusters - and has been doing so far going on three years, or more.

But this all beggars the point of the discussion - and that is 15 mm Pulp.  Several figures besides Blue Moon are traveling the road (and, sure, some of them are probably in precarious financial health, perhaps in part due to the economy, but that is not unusual either).  So, back to the discussion, if you please.

And, Richard, I do use some HO scale animals but I find the people a little too out of scale for my tastes.  But if it works for you, more power to you!

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
Blue Moon represents only Blue Moon, especially as they are in a rather unique position currently. Read this thread if you haven't already: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=274797

So, back to the discussion, if you please.

You did bring it up you know. And I did say I didn't want to interrupt on anything but that point. :)

Buuuuut, since no one's mentioned them:
http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/1518mmpulp.html
http://rebelminis.com/pulpadventures.html
http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/mystriisland.html

And we've got a unit of Hardsuits that could be used:
http://recreationalconflict.lusagi.com/lbpulp.html

And probably plenty of other stuff you could use as well.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
The only problem for me with 15 mm is (since early 1970s) is that I have been collecting 6 mm (1/300th) and 25+ mm figures and terrain.  With my recent decision to convert from 1/300th to 1/600th, drop 1/1200 (Aeronef) entirely, and stick to 1/6000th naval figures I can't see the practicality of 15/18 mm scale for my games.

That said, if I was starting over I would seriously consider 15/18 mm for large skirmish/small battle games.  The figures available are growing in selection.  With my pending retirement and the need to reduce my inventory if there were 15 mm Soldados de Cuera  and Presidials (and Zorro, of course,) I would still be tempted...

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 02:36:18 AM »
I picked up a smattering of stuff from Khurasan, Splintered Light, Blue Moon, Rebel Minis and a bunch of 1/100 train passengers (a lot of the Chinese companies do HO at that scale, for some reason) for pulp era zombie fun.

This was almost two years ago, before the latest round of fun. It's completely doable.

Jordan Highway Miniatures, often found fairly decently priced on eBay, is a great source for vehicles. I've enjoyed the way they look, and since they scale really well with the HO buildings I was putting together it looked great.

I might have to start breaking these out again....

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
I could see myself using 15mm for large battles, while retaining the 28mm scale for skirmishes.  I started experimenting with 1:72 scale miniatures with that in mind.  How does the 15mm scale, well scale up against 1:72 miniatures, specifically matchbox cars?
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
I could see myself using 15mm for large battles, while retaining the 28mm scale for skirmishes.  I started experimenting with 1:72 scale miniatures with that in mind.  How does the 15mm scale, well scale up against 1:72 miniatures, specifically matchbox cars?

I would say it doesn't match up very well at all. Some diecast cars will work, it's a car by car basis really as Matchbox (Hotwheels, etc...) don't really have a specific scale, they just design to fit in their packaging.

1:72 is FAR bigger than 1:100 which is what 15mm usually scales at. I find the HO vehicles (1:87) work well, when I ignore the fact that they're about ten percent too large. I'm fine with the vehicles looking so much "beefier" for the price I pay.