Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:34:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Haha!  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
Haha!
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »
Found this on the GW web site,

Its my parts! Haha! Can I do a "cease and disist" on gw now?

From this page:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=2700180-gws

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
Re: Haha!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »
 lol

Time to lawyer up!

I wonder if they'd acknowledge and provide a link to your site if you pointed it out? (ha, I know...)

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
Go get them Curtis!   ;D
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
It looks way cool none the less!

I always thought you made that thing to have GW players use it for the nids in the first place?  ;D

I sure have been contemplating to.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:24:57 AM »
I get that some of Ramshackle parts have turned up in a diorama on a GW blog. Like actual PARTS made by curtis or molded from them, not just other parts inspired by Curts' parts. And that kind of sucks given GW's attitude about owning what they stole.

But that leads me to a question of my own:

Why do people cry "Tyranid" every time they see overlapped scales, scythe-claws, or chitinous plates or a toothy alien grin?

Some of the Sedition wars strain monsters are being called Tyranid rip offs. The Everblight dragon critters have been called Tyranid rip offs. The Tyranids and the Genestealers (who were not originally tyranids back when tyranids still had mind controlling parasites that turned humans and eldar and orcs into slaves) were both obviously heavily inspired by Giger's alien. The Marvel Comic Uncanny X-men made up an alien race called the Brood who were ALSO obviously heavily borrowing from the xenomorph and wasps.

It's not like interlocking chitinous segments, spines, baracuda teeth, or insectoid features  were invented by GW or first demonstrated in Tyranid sculpts.

They occur in freaking nature! And Start Trek II was what, 1982? The Ceti Eel is a tyranid rip off? Say it's not so! It's a really big rubber ant-lion for goodness sake! It's a doodle bug!

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind was 1984! Check out their giant bugs sometime! The Herculoids had that crazy ten legged rino-saurus thing that shot bullets out of it's horn way back in 1967!

The Metaluna mutant had overlapping plates in "This Island Earth" in 1955! The Gillman/missing link had them in 1954!

Crabs have 'em!

This is not a new and exciting concept that GW invented! It's not! I swear!

Rant over.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:40:29 AM by palaeomerus »

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
  • Just another Brain in a Box
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »
Reading the blog it is unclear if Simon the titular painter of the army is a GW employee or just a guy who sent pictures of his army in to a blog written by GW. As it reads Simon is mis representing the part not GW's blogger.

As for GW's fan-bois they shout that with understanding that there is a much larger industry out there that cross-pollinates back and forth.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »
Apparently the same page had some Troll Forged models on it too! What a laugh!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »
I don't see how showing pictures of other people's (fans even) creations is infringing?!

But then again, I know nothing at all about IP and lalala.  lol

Offline TheShadow

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:21:05 AM »
im pretty sure gw have some obscure t&c about posting pics on their stite that mentions any non gw parts dont need to be named etc and they arent responsible blah blah blah, think this goes back to when some guy sent in a pic of his army all on what i think were dragon forge bases and they claimed they were all scratch built, in fact if you look at a lot of posts theres often one or two non gw models slipped in, theres a chaos army with an avatars of war chaos lord in there, plus another daemon army has some privateer stuff as tzeentch daemons !
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »
I get that some of Ramshackle parts have turned up in a diorama on a GW blog. Like actual PARTS made by curtis or molded from them, not just other parts inspired by Curts' parts. And that kind of sucks given GW's attitude about owning what they stole.

But that leads me to a question of my own:

Why do people cry "Tyranid" every time they see overlapped scales, scythe-claws, or chitinous plates or a toothy alien grin?

Some of the Sedition wars strain monsters are being called Tyranid rip offs. The Everblight dragon critters have been called Tyranid rip offs. The Tyranids and the Genestealers (who were not originally tyranids back when tyranids still had mind controlling parasites that turned humans and eldar and orcs into slaves) were both obviously heavily inspired by Giger's alien. The Marvel Comic Uncanny X-men made up an alien race called the Brood who were ALSO obviously heavily borrowing from the xenomorph and wasps.

It's not like interlocking chitinous segments, spines, baracuda teeth, or insectoid features  were invented by GW or first demonstrated in Tyranid sculpts.

They occur in freaking nature! And Start Trek II was what, 1982? The Ceti Eel is a tyranid rip off? Say it's not so! It's a really big rubber ant-lion for goodness sake! It's a doodle bug!

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind was 1984! Check out their giant bugs sometime! The Herculoids had that crazy ten legged rino-saurus thing that shot bullets out of it's horn way back in 1967!

The Metaluna mutant had overlapping plates in "This Island Earth" in 1955! The Gillman/missing link had them in 1954!

Crabs have 'em!

This is not a new and exciting concept that GW invented! It's not! I swear!

Rant over.

Give this man a sigar. Or a drink. Or actually..both. On second thoughts maybe a lifetime supply of sigars and drinks.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »
Overlapping chitinous plates and hivemind insectoid alien swarms have been created by GW first and everyone else after that copid from them, even if their works were published before GW existed.

END OF STORY.

Anyyone who claims anything different is a liar and shall be excluded from The Hobby (tm).

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »
They've taken enough people to court and so on over less, I think it's quite in your right to do the same. Take it to them!!

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
Overlapping chitinous plates and hivemind insectoid alien swarms have been created by GW first and everyone else after that copid from them, even if their works were published before GW existed.

END OF STORY.

Anyyone who claims anything different is a liar and shall be excluded from The Hobby (tm).

Ah well, the pricing has already largely excluded me from The Hobby(TM). I do buy a box of wood elves or something every now and then. The cheap stuff. GW introduced me to kit bashing, only not the way they intended!

I miss the old days of buying Ral Partha figures for "red box D&D" and "AD&D"- the games everybody had but didn't actually play exactly) with lead in them.  I also had a Traveller Box, and a Star Frontiers Box. Some of my friends had Top Secret boxes or a Tunnels and Trolls box, and one even had a Runequest Box and a Gamma World box. I don't think I actually PLAYED anything until ElfQuest(Basic/Chaosium) and Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP) came along. Yay Licensed crap! They were both in boxes too! Remember when Game Boxes were a thing?

Then I bought Battletech which technically was a board game (also in a box!). But it had ral partha minis too instead of color standees.

Then I got into Cyberpunk 2020, Mekton, and focused on that sort of stuff. (not in a box! Boxes were suddenly old fashioned!)

I got GURPS and bought some specific sci-fi setting books for it. I never had a copy of Rogue Trader, though I looked it over. I think I finally bought some GW stuff for the Space Marine/Titan Legions game. I bought a lot of that crap. But it was a $50 bix box back then with three metal vehicles for $6 or a box of a whole mixed plastic "force" for $15. And the add ons for Space Marine came in boxes! And they had these addictive force building cards that you could lay out like a flow chart to prove that you were not a rotten dirty cheater!

I read some White Dwarf issues and was surprised to find out that it no longer had info about OTHER games anymore. It was no longer like Nexus magazine. 

Eventually I bought the 30 beakies for $20.  I bought Space Hulk. I bought Advanced Space Crusade (the suckier later game that MB had nothing to do with MB that came with the some plastic scouts and Tyranid warriors). Then I got into DP9's Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronincles.  Eventually I bought a box of third edition 40K and I think that's when I stopped playing games. Not sure why. I know there was a new edition of Space Marine and that I wasn't that interested in it. I played a few games of Magic the Gathering and decided that it was not for me.  Then I sold my crap and just wandered off for a while. I think I probably got into PC games an console games then. I stopped reading comics and paper backs during that period too.

I got into Warmachine when it was still a few box sets and one book. Warmachine sort of devolved into a game about denying your opponent his turn either by jumping down his throat on the first turn or by nerfing his force every round, and that frankly made it a less than fun game. All the stomping and throwing and wrasslin' moves and critical volleys never really happened. It was all dodge-> dodge-> nerf-> feat-> charge. Now most of my Warmachine stuff are converted into half assed late Post-apocalyptic "rebuilding a new world" guys. I ignored the Hordes stuff mostly.

And now I mainly buy warband type stuff for skirmish games often in the form of junk off of e-bay and dollar store toys. I mostly play very beer and pretzel 'easy to play' stuff like Song of Blades and Two Hour Wargames Chain Reaction stuff.

But I still miss the old buying D&D monsters from Ral Partha days.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:30:03 PM by palaeomerus »