Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689623
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Two Game Reports in One  (Read 1860 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Two Game Reports in One
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »
Band rehearsal on Wednesday was cancelled, so I took my ever-growing box of Strange Aeons-related lead, resin and plastic down to Trilogy in hopes of finding someone to play a game with.  Sebastien was kind enough to stick around even though he had worked in the shop all day, so we sat down to create him a Theshold list.  Uncle Mike made some of his hand painted miniatures available for sale at the shop a few weeks back, and Seb had picked up a trio of guys who would serve as his first agents.  I helped him kit them out then we rolled up a scenario, set up a board and were off.

The layout of the board was quite interesting, resulting in a long partially-ruined building running right down the middle. Playing as the Lurkers I ran my lone fishman up the left side of the board and the cult leader and .22-wielding minions up the right.  The agents took cover in the building.  Rather than putting my unarmed cultists in a close combat situation I elected to move the fishman up.

As he rounded the corner the alert agent fired off a shot, but missed and coming face to face with the unnatural horror fell prone to the ground and was quickly cut down.  We did miss rolling for resolve of an agent here, who would have been close enough to require it.  Some more conflict inside the building ensued, resulting in the death of another agent and the fishman.

The Threshold character retreated back through the building, forcing the cultists to pursue him.  As he came around the left (west side of the building) he was caught out in the open by cultist gun fire.  Unable, or choosing not to retreat this resulted in a firefight lasting several rounds.  Another cultist fell and once again we forgot to roll resolve; we only remembered about this rule after the game ended.  Being outgunned resulted in the character eventually being taken out...and ultimately dying on the injury table.

Only a single game played and the list has to disband.  Wow...and ouch.  I felt bad, but at least I didn't roll the result on the injury table.  That would have...wait for it...added insult to injury.  Ba-bum-bump!

For our second game we switched roles, this time with me playing my 18BP Threshold list.  Our scenario roll resulted in Lurker choice, and Sebastien chose "All Dead Things" (I think).  This was a 1-map piece scenario with D3+3 grave markers which the lurkers were to try to desecrate.  Seb set up the table and the markers and I chose a table edge to start out.

Seb's cultists were bolstered by a fishman and a single zombie.  I moved my agents into better positions near several of the grave markers with a good view of the field.  The fishman sprinted off and quickly destroyed one of the grave markers as I foolishly spread my ranks too thin to make use of Loamy's lieutenant ability.  This meant that Arthur was alert for a large part of the game, but also was mostly useless.

As the fishman made his way towards another marker the other Lurkers moved forward on the other side where they had good cover.  My character Carl heroically jumped up to higher ground and started firing into the cultists as they tried to make it past.  James (our brave civilian) took up a position farther back in hopes of stopping anyone should they make it past Carl.

Loamy and Elizabeth were able to gun down the fishman while Arthur looked on with mild interest.  The cultists were able to get past Carl but the leader was slowed down by ricocheting shotgun fire.  James took some shots at the cultists rounding the rocky outcropping and was able to kill one of them.  However due to his mental instability from previous, he crumpled to the ground face up.

Seeing his distress Elizabeth and Loamy started back to help and Carl tracked the cult leader from his high vantage point, ignoring the slow moving zombie following behind.  As the agents gathered together James went down badly, but the cultists were caught in a hail of fire. With no one to command the shambling zombie, it slowly lurched forward as bullets tore it apart, returning the hapless undead corpse back to true death.

Instead of searching for map pieces the scenario allowed to roll for scrolls and ancient tomes.  With four survivors I rolled four dice and had great success: 3 scrolls and an ancient tome!  To represent the ancient tome thematically (and since the model for Arthur is carrying a book) I purchased him a decrease on his resolve stat, and a Holy Book.  My list now weighs in at a substantial 21 points.  I'm hoping that Arthur can survive a game or two so that he can start translating some of those lovely parchments.

Here's the original post: http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2012/07/two-games-of-two.html
And there are more photos available on my photobucket for both games:
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/Obsidian3d/Strange%20Aeons/1st%20Lurker%20Game/
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/Obsidian3d/Strange%20Aeons/Threshold%2018BP%20Game/
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Two Game Reports in One
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:22:59 AM »
Looks like you had a lot of fun.  :D

Cool looking games.  :-*

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:10:49 PM »
Thanks for commenting.  Our tables may not be as lavish as some of the other folks here, but the games are still fun!  I had a chance to play another Kulten game yesterday, against the coolest batch of miniatures I've seen in a long time: Cobra commander and his troopers.  Great fun.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
Thanks for commenting.  Our tables may not be as lavish as some of the other folks here, but the games are still fun!

I wouldnt know about the table being 'lavish' or not, as I cant really check out pictures from blogs properly on my netbook for some reason (the pics are always squashed!). That will have to wait until I get back to work.... ::)
Maybe if you had posted a couple directly on here I would have passed comment earlier, but waiting for my home set-up to generate images on photobucket etc is frustrating, I am basically too lazy to mess about, I just wait until I go back to work and peruse then. A week off means things like that have to wait.

I had a chance to play another Kulten game yesterday, against the coolest batch of miniatures I've seen in a long time: Cobra commander and his troopers.  Great fun.

Now THAT sounds like a great idea!
I had an idea for basing a Cult on some British Fascists, but that is brilliant.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »
The truth of the matter in regards to photos on the forums here...is that I'm too lazy.  If I write the post first and add pictures, then copy the text over to the forum the picture links break.  I'd rather just add a link to the original post than go back through the text and fix all the image links.

As to the Cobra-as-a-cult...it's a great idea.  I actually had the Cobra Commander figure on my to-buy list before I ever saw James' miniatures.  But now that I've seen them...wow do I ever want to steal that idea and run.  It just looked so awesome.  It was cool too in that he played them like Cobra.  The Commander stuck to the back, sending his disposable troopers up.  Once they were slaughtered he eventually turned tail and ran away.  In fact, he was the only Cobra miniature to leave the table without an injury of some kind.

I wish I'd taken pictures for you all, it was a good game.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »
i want to see some pictures next time!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com