Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:41:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Red Box Games' HelsVakt Kickstarter  (Read 24482 times)

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
Red Box Games' HelsVakt Kickstarter
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
I guess most people here know (and admire) Tre's work. Here's his first Kickstarter campaign:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/red-box-games-helsvakt-horde

The aim is to get the HelsVakt Hordesmen cast in Trollforge resign:

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Red Box Games' HelsVakt Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »
The aim is to get the HelsVakt Hordesmen cast in Trollforge resign:

That would be Trollforged PLASTIC RESIN (which is like finecast only without ALL the floors (e.g its not brittle, doesn't melt (even put in the oven) has little to no casting defects (I had one little bubble underneath the groin) and wont cost you even half as much as Finecast (Tre is putting his prices DOWN after getting cast in Troll forged as opposed to GW's price rise right after Finecast)).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:35:37 AM by maxxev »

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
I'm in ... Tres work is sublime.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »
I do love his sculpts. What i dont like though is the size. Will these be on a slightly larger scale to fit more appropriately to other ranges out there? Would love to get the Dwarves. But too many times i have seen comments on there smaller size.

Grimm

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
I do love his sculpts. What i dont like though is the size. Will these be on a slightly larger scale to fit more appropriately to other ranges out there? Would love to get the Dwarves. But too many times i have seen comments on there smaller size.

Grimm

They scale up a LOT better than most people would think, if you're going for the GW LoTR, Hasslefree, Thunderbolt Mountain sized dwarves. If you're going for the GW Fantasy, etc... they're definitely going to be too small.

http://badbrush.blogspot.com/2011/09/red-box-games-review.html

http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29922&highlight=otherworld+rbg

http://cp.cobble.phpwebhosting.com/~libertywhite/pics2/dwarf-comparison.jpg  (2009 Hasslefree Dwarf with a GW LoTR dwarf)

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/red-box-games-size-comparisons-with-gw-lord-of-the-rings-figures/ (RBG size comparison directly with GW LoTR minis, including dwarves, that look to be dead on. At least a couple of these are the older ones, which tended to be taller than the current line)

Both of the top links have a couple of size comparisons in them, scroll down to find. The dwarves are supposed to scale up with Hasslefree really well. In fact Tre has mentioned that he specifically sculpts them to line up with the Hasslefree dwarves. So, his older stuff lines up with their older, etc... One of the guys used in some of the size comparisons is actually one of his Shirelings (A halfling), so is supposed to be significantly smaller than the dwarves.The style differences likely has something to do with that.

Lifted from the Red Box Games site is Tre's breakdown on heights of miniatures:

humans.......................32-36mm tall

elves ..........................28-30mm tall

half elves....................30-32mm tall

dwarves......................22-26mm tall ( believe it or nto this is how tall the original dwarves were also )

shirelings....................18-22mm tall

goblins........................20-26mm tall

trolls...........................45-54mm tall

orcs............................30-38mm tall

There's been a lot of debate about the height of the dwarves, even on his site, so, if that's going to stop you, I can't say that I blame you. It's really going to come down to what size dwarves you're looking for.

Yeah, I'll admit, I'm pretty excited about this Kickstarter. The material appears to give much better crispness of detail than pewter, which makes me excited. The sculpts are gorgeous, and Tre is, in my opinion, one of the best sculptors around.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:33:05 AM by Varangian »

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
I've even read that the Mantic dwarf stuff lines up well with his

I very much doubt the truth of whomevber wrote that because Mantic plastics are bigger than GW dwarves and the metal ones I have (beserkers) are closer to reaper minis in scale... both of which are MASSES bigger than GW LOTR.

I think that is that I would just remember them as if I were you 25mm realistically proportioned dwarves, not a good match for any current plastic company out there (though I don't know about thoe grenadier ones? currently sold very cheap by EM-4, though buying trers fantastic scullpts to put next to those mono-sculpt figures would be wrong!).

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:19:05 AM »
I very much doubt the truth of whomevber wrote that because Mantic plastics are bigger than GW dwarves and the metal ones I have (beserkers) are closer to reaper minis in scale... both of which are MASSES bigger than GW LOTR.

I think that is that I would just remember them as if I were you 25mm realistically proportioned dwarves, not a good match for any current plastic company out there (though I don't know about thoe grenadier ones? currently sold very cheap by EM-4, though buying trers fantastic scullpts to put next to those mono-sculpt figures would be wrong!).

Oof. I did some digging, and you're dead on with most of it. I'll be adjusting my original post.

Thanks for the reality call!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:50:43 AM »
Gorgeous sculpts and if I was a fantasy player I would be all over them for sure
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »
Already in.  He's reached his initial goal in just 2 days.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »
I really love his sculpts but for me the HelsVakt are the least interesting of his models - they look too much like the usual chaos knights to me. Still way better sculptured.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »

I prefer the work he has done for Reaper. While Red Box Games are great figures, they are rather small and full of tiny details… and kind of expensive too especially considering their size :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »
I really love his sculpts but for me the HelsVakt are the least interesting of his models - they look too much like the usual chaos knights to me. Still way better sculptured.

Have to second that, they are also to me the least attractive minis from Red Box.
Though they remind me more on those Vikings from the "Pathfinder" movie ;)

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31:34 AM »
I prefer the work he has done for Reaper. While Red Box Games are great figures, they are rather small and full of tiny details… and kind of expensive too especially considering their size :?

I prefer the finer detail to the cartoony work he was doing for Reaper. The again, I think most of the work he was doing there is a bit Warhammer for me (and, I'm a fan of GW's work, I just wish so many people hadn't started copying it) and what he's doing now is very old school fantasy. Which is what he's shooting for...

Also, it's interesting to note that this project is designed to consistently bring his prices DOWN, with what seems to be a nicer material.

Offline constrict

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 11:40:39 PM »
Tre has now updated the stretch goals, and it's looking good!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:19:56 PM by constrict »

Offline constrict

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:20:07 PM »
10 days left and even more sketches and miniatures added!